Cyprus Property Prices

Just a thought but with Erdogan and his forces now in Syria and Kurdistan, and an expeditionary force en route to Libya, is Cyprus any different to any other ambitions he may have?

RRV8

GCM
Just a thought but with Erdogan and his forces now in Syria and Kurdistan, and an expeditionary force en route to Libya, is Cyprus any different to any other ambitions he may have?

Exactly that sir, my thoughts too. If you then add the content of @muzzleflash post above to your own tip-top info then it begins to look like a fairly crappy outlook for Cyprus as a whole.

I read one article today (from the Cyrpus Mail) which suggested that if Greece was ever to activate a military component to help support its ongoing gas deal then Turkey would potentially react very aggressively while 'consuming' Cyrpus at the same time.

Not good eh!

RRV8

GCM
There was an interesting interview on GMTV with Piers this morning whereby the lawyer representing the 19-year old British girl in the ongoing rape case took the opportunity to speak out about the dodgy house situation in Cyprus.

His interview was primarily focused on the rape case and the flawed legal process in Cyprus but then he went on to mention the shoddy legal system for housing too and how some Brits had contacted him this week to say how crap the legal process was in Cyprus.

I‘d happily live in Japan.

The boat idea is certainly appealing. I saw an old but perfectly useable catamaran on eBay a few years back, with a permanent mooring on a buoy (I.e. not in a marina) in one of the quieter bits of Ibiza.

It went for 12 grand.

Food for thought.

It's crossed my mind too. Here's a little retirement place I wouldn't sniff at in Antigua with a jetty & boat lift

1578385385598.png

Exactly that sir, my thoughts too. If you then add the content of @muzzleflash post above to your own tip-top info then it begins to look like a fairly crappy outlook for Cyprus as a whole.

I read one article today (from the Cyrpus Mail) which suggested that if Greece was ever to activate a military component to help support its ongoing gas deal then Turkey would potentially react very aggressively while 'consuming' Cyrpus at the same time.

Not good eh!
From most of the comments I've read on here I believe posters are in general from a more mature background* and so should remember that Cyprus has had the threat of Turkey driving deeper into the island than it already has for many a year, nothing new there even if the current gas drilling has provoked things somewhat and that Turkey is more aggressive of late than it has been for a long time.

*By more mature background read old fart, like me :)

Yeah looks nice but do a google about retiring there then compare that to retiring in Cyprus.

I like the concept of retiring to the Caribbean, but the reality is another thing

RRV8

GCM
This is a sad state of affairs. The Brit guy bought a house for cash in 2005 and then the developer sold it again to another Brit family who was willing to pay more; the developer kept the initial monies paid though. Shocking!

I still keep an eye on my favourite properties (approx 100 of them for info sake) and nowt is selling.

The Roma are in town, and the locals are struggling with the concept of not leaving stuff out and locking doors. I have a feeling that the collective response will not be PC.

RRV8

GCM
This is a laughing stock for the Brit guy in Cyprus. Click the link and read the comments.

This is the English chappy who bought his new Cypriot home outright some years ago only to find that the developer sold his house a few days later to another Brit couple for a higher amount - he didn't get a refund and even after everything he was beating up by the builder at a later stage for challenging their very poor ethics.

Very sad indeed.

Cyprus is not for us now - too bloody dodgy!!

We seem to use the expression “the offer” a lot, generally when things are less good than they were before but you have to pretend that they’re still good, a bit like the pension. What’s changed over the last few years...Crime has exploded, we now have Romanian Gypsys, LOA has dropped, boozing like we used to is frowned upon, but the absolute worst thing is the drive towards UK working hours. Gone are the days of being home by 1400, at Pissouri by 1430 going down a slide. People out here are definitely less happy, and the offer is not what it was.

From most of the comments I've read on here I believe posters are in general from a more mature background* and so should remember that Cyprus has had the threat of Turkey driving deeper into the island than it already has for many a year, nothing new there even if the current gas drilling has provoked things somewhat and that Turkey is more aggressive of late than it has been for a long time.

*By more mature background read old fart, like me :)

1998/99 was a bit hairy . Turkish jets flying into Cypriot Airspace. Turkey stating that if their aircraft were pinged by “Any” radar it would be seen as an act of War.

We seem to use the expression “the offer” a lot, generally when things are less good than they were before but you have to pretend that they’re still good, a bit like the pension. What’s changed over the last few years...Crime has exploded, we now have Romanian Gypsys, LOA has dropped, boozing like we used to is frowned upon, but the absolute worst thing is the drive towards UK working hours. Gone are the days of being home by 1400, at Pissouri by 1430 going down a slide. People out here are definitely less happy, and the offer is not what it was.

‘OK I was there in 97-99 . Loved the working hours then but always thought why?

Agree the Inf and those working on the pan or outside in the afternoons needed a rest but the rest of us in our air conditioned offices ?

‘OK I was there in 97-99 . Loved the working hours then but always thought why?

Agree the Inf and those working on the pan or outside in the afternoons needed a rest but the rest of us in our air conditioned offices ?
It's not really about the work environment. I'm in bed for 2200 every night, however with a siesta I'd be making the most of it. When I'm leaving a restaurant thinking about getting my grid down, the locals are just arriving with their kids. Life was more enjoyable with a bastard Monday and early finish the rest of the week. Also, with the early finish you had a chance of getting to the shops before they shut. Still I'm sitting pretty during COVID though.

It's not really about the work environment. I'm in bed for 2200 every night, however with a siesta I'd be making the most of it. When I'm leaving a restaurant thinking about getting my grid down, the locals are just arriving with their kids. Life was more enjoyable with a bastard Monday and early finish the rest of the week. Also, with the early finish you had a chance of getting to the shops before they shut. Still I'm sitting pretty during COVID though.

Bastard Monday ? Full day ?

We had half days every day.

We used to go to Orphanides shopping on the way into Limassol , I know the owner of the chain was busted/jailed for bouncing 400,000 in fake cheques though.

RRV8

GCM
I've got to admit that my OCD outlook has meant that I've kept a close eye on the Cyprus property market this year.

From what I've seen so far I reckon that any property which falls within the sub €175K range, (preferably the sub €150K value), has a fairly good chance of selling within a few months of first being advertised for sale.

Those houses with a 2 at the beginning of the asking price struggle immensly while any property price that starts with a 3 and above has very little chance of selling and may take several years before the owner is successful and gets rid.

The Russians have diverted their property and investment portfolios to Turkey (from what i read) and the infamous 'Cyprus Passport for Investment Scheme' has fallen flat on its arse following some severe scrutiny by the EU Masters, resulting in a tightening of the qualifying criteria a few months ago.

It also looks as if Al Jazeera News is just about to publish the names of c.1,400 allegedly dodgy foreign folk who have managed to attain Cypriot Golden visas since the scheme was inaugurated. Such an article may soon serve as a shockwave to the financial and house price index and, indeed, the government as a whole.

We have a few pals out there who say the Brits are either staying put in Cyprus and intend to weather the Brexit storm or are placing their properties on the market to see if they can attain a sale.

Either way, it's looking to me as if there'll be a few good property bargains in the next 12-months.

I may be talking total gibberish at this point but I have a strong feeling that Cyprus will try and navigate itself around the necessary EU Brexit Regs to allow Brits to still become resident after the 31st Dec this year.

Some of you may think that I've lost the plot (you could be right), but I really do believe that Cyrpus will want to retain the property buying power of us Brits since we do support a huge chunk of their property market.

Interesting times ahead guys.

Last edited:
I've got to admit that my OCD outlook has meant that I've kept a close eye on the Cyprus property market this year.

From what I've seen so far I reckon that any property which falls within the sub €175K range, (preferably the sub €150K value), has a fairly good chance of selling within a few months of first being advertised for sale.

Those houses with a 2 at the beginning of the asking price struggle immensly while any property price that starts with a 3 and above has very little chance of selling and may take several years before the owner is successful and gets rid.

The Russians have diverted their property and investment portfolios to Turkey (from what i read) and the infamous 'Cyprus Passport for Investment Scheme' has fallen flat on its arse following some severe scrutiny by the EU Masters, resulting in a tightening of the qualifying criteria a few months ago.

It also looks as if Al Jazeera News is just about to publish the names of c.1,400 allegedly dodgy foreign folk who have managed to attain Cypriot Golden visas since the scheme was inaugurated. Such an article may soon serve as a shockwave to the financial and house price index and, indeed, the government as a whole.

We have a few pals out there who say the Brits are either staying put in Cyprus and intend to weather the Brexit storm or are placing their properties on the market to see if they can attain a sale.

Either way, it's looking to me as if there'll be a few good property bargains in the next 12-months.

I may be talking total gibberish at this point but I have a strong feeling that Cyprus will try and navigate itself around the necessary EU Brexit Regs to allow Brits to still become resident after the 31st Dec this year.

Some of you may think that I've lost the plot (you could be right), but I really do believe that Cyrpus will want to retain the property buying power of us Brits since we do support a huge chunk of their property market.

Interesting times ahead guys.

Why buy and carry all the inherent risks, when you can rent and move on if things change for the worse?