Cyprus Memorial- Locals not happy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The memorial is a very fitting tribute, but I do think it was clumsy not to consult the Republic of Cyprus Government on this. After all, the UK does recognise the Republic as having de jure sovereignty for the whole island (less the SBAs, of course). In any case, it would have been more appropriate to erect the memorial within one of the SBAs. It would surely still have fallen within the Treaty of Establishment definition of 'military purpose' development.
  2. A certain Prime Minister will be along in a minute to apologise
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

According to Andrew Dismal, a Labour MP, honouring the British dead is not a good idea, despite them being murdered by Greek Cypriots.

What a surprise; he's a Labour MP who feels it's more important to represent the wishes of a Greek diaspora in London who are sympathetic to the cause of Greek terrorism than to people of his own country.

Oh, I forgot - this is the very same MP who's currently in the press trying to defend his own home flipping, and who currently sits on the parliamentary standards and privelages committee.

He's one of the fat-cats that oversaw the corruption in parliament and is trying to water down Kelly's changes.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If the Greeks had not wimped out in 1974 then they would have been asked. As it is, the memorial was raised in the Turkish part of the Island and the Greeks have Feck All say in what goes on there.

They should just get back in their box and STFU.
  5. Having served in Cyprus for 2 years and currently living with a Cypriot I can quite honestly say that despite the false smiles of the Greek Cypriots when we are handing them money, they detest the British.

The Turkish Cypriots on the other hand bare us no malice whatsoever, they are all round much nicer people.

I am glad the memorial was erected in the North.
  6. Good point. Presumably someone donated/sold the land privately. The Memorial seems to be run by the British Cyprus Memorial Trust, so its not a Commonwealth War Graves site, but a private venture. As a private venture, it's really nothing to do with the Government, therefore the Hon MP should go stick his head in a pig.

Edit- I was incorrect. The Memorial is located in the old British Cemetery, so the land presumably belongs to the Church. The Trust website is at
  7. the permanent memorial is sited in the old British cemetery at Kyrenia.

I was looking for a picture of the hand grenade lobbing tw@ in Nicosia, EOKA type fellow.

Another reason not to have darn sarf.
  8. The problem is they are disappointed that their noses were knocked out of joint and the memorial as been erected on the northern side of Cyprus and not the been erected in the British sovereign base area.
    I personally think no matter where the memorial is erected no one would have been happy in Cyprus , They are very hard people to please no matter how hard you try .
  9. Regardless of who owns the land on which the memorial is sited, the erection of a memorial would still require planning permission, would it not? If, under international law, the Republic of Cyprus Government is the ultimate planning authority, then why didn't the Cyprus Memorial Trust consult the Republic? In the circs, the Trusts actions might be interpreted as, at best, undiplomatic and, at worst, deliberately provocative.
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It carries on to say an inquest found that he had committed suicide by shooting himself in the head!!! :D
  11. Why on earth would the UK Government and the TRNC need to be diplomatic with the goat herders in the South?
  12. To be honest. F**k them. The whole sorry saga is their own bone headed dumb fault. Last time I visted the place was swarming with Russian tarts and gangsters.