Cyprus medal

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by danny842003, Mar 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was having a chat with a TA member who told me he was going to cyprus.
    He said he thinks there is a UN medal still issued for Cyprus is this true?
    And if there is can it be worn on your uniform?

I was just suprised as i didnt think it was much of a hot spot any more. Although i may be wrong.
  2. yes it is issued and yes it must be worn. Check out this:

I suspect your mate is in the Scottish Transport Regiment?
    Or is he/she with 32 Signal Regiment?
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Yes and yes.

Hasn't been a "hotspot" for years, but a cheers-easy sunshine gong is still available for 6 months on the piss, which is occasionally interupted by having to stand on top of an OP for a few hours, bored out of your skull at the Greeks/Turks being increasingly childish towards each other.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The medal is to recognise the trauma your kidneys and liver will suffer from Keo beer and brandy sours.....
  5. I was just suprised as i didnt think it was much of a hot spot any more. Although i may be wrong.[/quote]

Its been changable for a few weeks but its warming up nicely now.
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The amount of sex and alcohol I had to endure to earn mine, it was tough I can tell you. :D
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

We didn't do that much in 1976 - barely two years after the war. Gentle run around the airfield, ablute, breakfast, get in the Ferret, cabby round the countryside, lunch then retire to the swimming pool was about as hard work as it got.
  8. As the Sqn Barman the 6 month Cyprus UN tour I did was the hardest of all tours that I have done.

Far more traumatic than any recent operations and the sights, sounds and horrors I had to endure night after night were quite unimaginable!

I deserved my UN medal more than anyone and should have received a MiD for all of the Pizzas that were stolen from the back of the delivery van to feed my customers, all for a tidy profit of course. :wink:

The hell I had to endure was worth it when I ordered my new car and paid cash for it on return to BAOR. :D :D
  9. Then there's the "flid" to contend with in that bar in Nicosia, that's is she's still alive that is. Anyone admit to kicking her back doors in for a £20 shag?
  10. That would be the Mute, no I never, but I know someone who did! :wink:
  11. 3 days on 3 days off on Foxtrot and Morphou gates were nice. Endex - get showered, changed, pick up hire car, head down to Napa to get lashed and fight the boxhead tourists. God how I earned that cardboard medal and I wear it with pride each time I have my dyalasis.
  12. That's the one, the flid was the one in Bad Piermont disco with the short arms, I get the two confused. The mute, saw a bunch of lads get ratted and kick her off her seat once night whilst nicking her oranges she was trying to flog. Strange place.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That would be Murmour...and you would have to be a very desperate boy!

We used to pretend to put cash in the jukebox and she would dance around to the "music".......
  14. Thought you were referring to the old pre 1962 GSM issued when I was there in 1958. Nigs!!!!!
  15. Keo beer and Brandy sours....ahhhhhhhh what memories you brought flooding back!! Tunnel beach with 'Officers', 'senior ranks' and 'Junior ranks' segregated bars/sun beds :D Happy days, and a medal at the end of it! :wink: