Cyprus ask's Putin'anskia (aka USSR) for some bailout dosh

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Letterwritingman, Jun 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hmm....need a few billion, sit conveniently on two major seafaring chokepoints who do I ask? Theoretically could this make the Med the eventual playground of Islamic Fundementalist states and USSr type areas of influence? Russia gains by having a 'mate' in the region, 2 in fact when Greece goes back to the polls. Turkey, I'd imagine their a bit more concerned about Syria etc. Egypt, dodgy elections..Muslim Brotherhood looking good for the future. All geo-political theories considered ?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Happened months ago.

The Comrade President is now trying to get some more from China.
  3. Any Links?
  4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Cyprus's Finance Minister Sees 'Urgent' Need for Bailout -

One of several.

Basically, the Russians do large amounts of banking via Cyprus and are willing to offer a loan cheaper than the eurozone and without any strings attached.

Me personally, I've always wondered what makes Cyprus so attractive to the Russians - a lack of detailed scrutiny of the money passing through their banks perhaps?

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So Cyprus the Channel isles of the med?
  6. Thanks for that. Cyprus if it's still anything like it was when I was there back in 1976 is probably well up for that.

Bottle of scotch on the back seat so the missus passes the Cypriot driving test, all the buildings with bits of metal sticking out the top so they don't pay rates etc etc.
  7. Sounds like mainland Greece as well :-(
  8. When the 'New' Red Army meets the Turkish Army, ------------ ?