Cyprus as a Junior Officer

Greetings,

On my way to RMAS soon and am sponsored by the PWRR with every intention of joining them. I noted that 2PWRR are starting a 3 year rotation through Cyprus beginning in 2014 so if I was to join that battalion I'd likely meet them out there.

So to the point: whats Cyprus like as a young officer? Having been on holiday there I know the golf courses are up to scratch at least!

Thanks in advance,

D

its expected as a junior rupert that every friday you buy your blokes a couple of cases of keo.
do that and you will never have any problems with your troops

dont and you can expect OO every weekend ( enjoy timing the fire piquet)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don't fit your profile, being late 40s, married and retired when we spent 3 years there in Dhekelia. It is however excellent if you like sports and adventurous training. It's also handy for visiting the Middle East, though I imagine Egypt, Lebanon and Syria are not quite so popular at the moment.

Depending on unit policy, working hours tend to start and finish early, eg 0700 to 1500.

I have served there for 4 years on and off. I couldn't think of a better place to be a young subbie in terms of location, travel and sportimng opportunities and social life. However, it can be a bit of a G1 nightmare place if the boys misbehave. I guess that will be your leadership challenge. Also, professionally it may be a bit stilted with Herrick reinforcement probably on the wane and the Falkland Island deployments being snaffled by UK based units. There was always quite a bit of site guarding for the boys, which could get dull so you will need to keep them occupied.

I am a few years out of date (left there in 2004) but would go back in a flash.

Good luck, I hope you get PWRR.

uqfegd

pp

Ok great, thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be able to work on getting my handicap sub 5, my serve over 120mph and my bolt far quicker!

Don't forget skiing up on Troodos.