Cyprus 1954-59 QE Medal Search for veterans and NOK

Les Smith was on BBC Radio Scotland this morning. He is still looking for details of servicemen or next of kin of servicemen who were involved in the Cyrus Emergency between 1954 and 1959. Most of these would have been on National Service.

From the web page Cyprus Veterans

If you served in Cyprus 1955 to 1959 and you are not on this list please let me know

I would suggest that you check this page regularly for updates

If you know any Cyprus Veterans who don't know about our website PLEASE give them this address cyprusveterans@gmail.com and ask them to make contact. Les

There is a contact form here: Cyprus Veterans

The following article is from February last year and gives more background information but as it's from a Scottish newspaper is weighted in that direction so don't let that put you off.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/veterans-pledge-honour-forgotten-heroes-9922207

Last edited:
Nice project but I'm confused.
"
He is still looking for details of servicemen or next of kin of servicemen who were involved in the Cyrus Emergency between 1954 and 1959. Most of these would have been on National Service and from the Glasgow area."

The Welch Regiment November 57 to November 58. Got my dads GSM with Cyprus clasp somewhere.

"
He is still looking for details of servicemen or next of kin of servicemen who were involved in the Cyrus Emergency between 1954 and 1959. Most of these would have been on National Service and from the Glasgow area."

The Welch Regiment November 57 to November 58. Got my dads GSM with Cyprus clasp somewhere.
The article states he is looking for fellow Scotsmen,....

"

Blimey, I was in the commcen (though it was called sigcen back then) in Dhekelia when they were in Alexander Barracks at the bottom of the garrison - replaced by A & SH IIRC, though the BW were there either before or after as well.

Edit to add, RWF were on the island at the same time as well - bear in mind there were 40k troops at the height of the hassle - as I remember a Dai's Day message in Welsh from CO 1 RWF to CO 1 Welch which I had to pass by phone as the only Taff in town. :)

I think the journos have screwed it up, assuming all the Cyprus cas were Jocks rather than that figure being the total number of cas.

It wouldn't surprise me if the jounous got confuzzed. I'm just posting it for info.

1. Any questions please contct Les
2. Any valid corrections please advise self or admins to update post. Many thanks.

"

...I think the journos have screwed it up, assuming all the Cyprus cas were Jocks rather than that figure being the total number of cas.

I didn't read the article as misleading people into thinking that it was all about Jocks only in the conflict. You have to understand that it's from the Record which, being a Scottish daily, is speaking to a Scottish audience and that is why it focuses so. The web site of the campaign clearly lists all known information on casualties no matter their origins.

"

I didn't read the article as misleading people into thinking that it was all about Jocks only in the conflict. You have to understand that it's from the Record which, being a Scottish daily, is speaking to a Scottish audience and that is why it focuses so. The web site of the campaign clearly lists all known information on casualties no matter their origins.
Thanks. Original Post updated accordingly.

Quite interesting the number of RM on his vets website. They were the only people doing roulement tours, virtually everybody else was posted there either for three years (Regs) or balance of their service after training (NS), unless they were Inf or Cav in which case the unit served there for three years, individuals joining those units in situ obviously doing less. This was because the RM Cdos (40, 42 and 45) were stationed in Malta with 3 Cdo Bde, and rouled to Cyprus six months at a time, in between playing on and off Cdo Carriers around the Med. They relieved each other in Platres in the Troodos Mountains.

It's hard to imagine today just how many troops were there. Three brigades permanently, 3 and 50 Inf Bde Gps in Nicosia and 51 Bde in Famagusta, under a Dist HQ in Nicosia, plus HQ ME and HQ MELF in Episkopi. Then in what might be called the first 'Arab Spring', in 1958, when King Feisal of Iraq was assassinated, leading to the Ba'ath Party takeover and so eventually Saddam Hussein, Lebanon went to rats and King Hussein of Jordan asked for our assistance, as his Palestinians in particular were kicking off, those brigades were joined by two more, 1 Gds Bde and 16 Para Bde, the latter going from Cyprus to Jordan to provide that assistance for the rest of that year. We thought 1 Gds would be going to Lebanon but luckily the US Marines got there first and lived with the result for many a year.

Hard to imagine the size of the army full stop. NS to options for change to Army 2020 makes you think.

Sandys report 1957 said 370k, 180k of whom were regular, 150k overseas beyond BAOR.

Cyprus Blue

Swinger
I must apologise for any misunderstanding regarding my interview on radio Scotland and the report in the Scottish newspapers. As my interview was for the Scottish listener most of my comments were for the Scottish audience.
I am fully aware that we lost a total of 371 men made up from most of the regiments and services who served in Cyprus. Very few people know that we lost 69 men who were serving with The R.A.F. and 13 with The Navy.

In December 2015 I set up a website for Cyprus Veterans so that I could reunite ex comrades who lost touch over 60 years ago.
I also started searching for the families of the 371 to let them know that there loved ones have not been forgotten by their comrades and that we now have two memorials to them. One in Kyrenia Cyprus and since 2016 one in The National Memorial Arboretum Alrewas Staffordshire. Also to let the families know that they are entitled to receive The Elizabeth Cross

To date I have contact with almost 500 Cyprus Veterans and the next of kin of 173 of our fallen comrades, most have now received or applied to receive The Elizabeth Cross. My search continues for the others.

The next service of Remembrance is to be held at The National Memorial Arboretum Staffordshire 1100 hrs. Sunday the 19th of August 2018

If any 1955 to 1959 Cyprus Veteran wants to contact me e-mail me at cyprusveterans@gmail.com

Attachments

• Wayne's Keep.jpg
    Wayne's Keep.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 26

Latest Threads