Cycling?

Hey all

Been gradually building up my fitness for the past couple of months, i still got a way to go tho. Altho i do go out for the occasional run, and the past 2 tuesday nights with my unit i dont get out as much as i could.

I do cycle alot and lately been putting more effort into it...with me only running twice a week...will cycling also build my stamina/fitness up?
I cycle average 40 mile per week

Cheers guys

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Cycling is one of the ultimate activities for building up stamina and cardiovascular fitness, not to mention back and leg muscles.

Try and get in a couple of hours per day, cycling as hard and fast as you can all the way, up and down steep hills and long flats, you'll be either dead in no time, or a lot more fit for the forces.

Combine it with vigorous swimming.

cheers mate

been riding my bike since March, and altho my legs/calfs muscles are stronger and bigger, lately it just feels like going to work and thats it....i have been putting more effort into it but like you said, ride fast and hard is what ill have to do from now

cheers :)

actually, now that ive thought about it, what i was meant to say was, since im only running twice a week, will cycling help me improve on my running aswell or do i need to find extra time to do more running?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Mennox said:
actually, now that ive thought about it, what i was meant to say was, since im only running twice a week, will cycling help me improve on my running aswell or do i need to find extra time to do more running?
Yes, cycling will indeed improve your running. As for feeling like you are simply going to work, that sounds like it's working.

Keep the cycling up, but push harder. I did it for years, again, as hard and fast as I could and what became a 'normal' manner of cycling for me, blew away anyone I went cycling with. I never had any problems with tabbing with bergen or running.

You WILL need to do something else for your upper body strength too.

Running will improve your running, cycling will assist. Your joints bear no weight when you cycle, they do when you run, combine the two sensibly and you'll be fine

Edited for mong spelling

excellent cheers guys, was the answers i was looking for.

A couple of month ago i was struggling cycling and it was hard...now before i know it im at work and think is that it? lol....i love cycling tho...so now i just need to step it up abit

Trevelez is right, cycling will likely help your cardiovascular fitness (essential for run fitness) and will also likely perform another importatn function; it allows you to rest between running sessions.

Justloitering also has a good point. However, his/her data is a little off. 40 miles a day is nowt. I commute further than that each way and still do another hour at lunchtime on ecery day less Mon and Fri.

Here's a general tip about cycle training: Forget 'miles' and 'miles per hour', effective cycle training for CV and endurance is all about 'time at intensity' (eg hours at heart rate (HR)). Excessive intensity (ie going too fast) may be fun but it is the path to failure as you will never recover properly and simply wear yourself out. Aim to train at about 75-85% of Max HR (ie not very hard). To establish your Max HR you should do a Max HR Test. Do not use the old 220-minus-your-age formula because it is simply nonsense (eg my Max HR is 216, which would by that theory make me 4 (which I am not)). If you don't have a HR Monitor (and I no longer use one), just go on feel; you should be 'slightly taxed' and be able to carry on a normal conversation. Incidentally, a similar principle applies to running.

The most important things in any training regime is to ensure that you get adequate rest, your diet is adequate and of good quality and you keep hydrated.

Cycling 100miles(ish) a day, Dragstrip. Your not planning a trip around France any time soon are you?

Mennox said:
Hey all

Been gradually building up my fitness for the past couple of months, i still got a way to go tho. Altho i do go out for the occasional run, and the past 2 tuesday nights with my unit i dont get out as much as i could.

I do cycle alot and lately been putting more effort into it...with me only running twice a week...will cycling also build my stamina/fitness up?
I cycle average 40 mile per week

Cheers guys
I don't think its the distance you want but the timing. 40 miles a week equates to about 5.7 miles a day. If that 40 miles was in two sessions then fine but if it was done over 7 days then not so good. For stamina and CV work you need to be doing no less than about 40-45 mins of non-stop work. Try and vary your work load, cycling, swimming, jogging, rowing machine etc over different days or even two of these in a daily routine, this will stop you getting bored with one thing.

Everybody will have their own way of training, you do whats comfortable and what you enjoy.

Good luck.

B_T :D

bobath said:
Cycling 100miles(ish) a day, Dragstrip. Your not planning a trip around France any time soon are you?
Hmm, with hindsight I fear I may have exaggerated slightly. 100 miles is a fairly unusual day for me (ie maybe once every couple of weeks). The average day is rather more like 35 miles if I'm honest.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to average 20 miles per day up and down some exceedingly steep hills and did it purely for fun (including racing traffic). Dragstrip is right on the effort front. When I said give it the max, I really meant 'almost' because you will be able to sustain that for hours on end, whereas 100%/110% will be manageable for 10 minutes or so (depending on the terrain) and then you'll have to stop and throw up.

The longer and harder you keep the cycling up, the better. You will find that after a while, you can indeed go 'max 100%' for about 40 mins to an hour, but lactic acid builds up/energy drops too quickly and you get less bang for your buck. You might find after an hour of this that you are still going 100%, but only traveling at 5mph on the flat!

You can vary your style of cycling to get the best out of it too. Standing and cycling WILL work your joints and put suitable pressure on them. If you use a mountain bike (and keep it in high gears), once your legs are strong enough, you will find that you are using your arms and back a lot more to 'pull' the cycle around whilst your legs are going round. This is what you see with professional cyclist when they are sprinting - the cycle twists all over the place as the literally 'pull' the cycle into the pedal turns to get more power.

Just to throw a quick in: I have now limited my exercise to cycling (over the last 4 months or so), both on the road and in the gym, but I have a frustating few pounds, ok maybe half a stone that I can't shift! It's the old spare tyre, which is thankfully just a small handfull but still annoying as I can't get back to the toned Adonis I was 10 years ago!!
I have stopped all weight training and anytime in the gym is either cross trainer, rower or on the bike (on my own or spinning type class)... I'm becoming addicted to the bike but not sure if i'm getting the best out of it. EG: A normal week could be 4 x 40 minutes session on the exercise bike and 1 2 hour ride on the road, the gym session being a 5 minute warm up, 5 minute cool down and half hour of me really pushing it, head down, sweating like I was attempting the Alpe d’Huez climb! But is this sort of workrate going to lose those few pounds?? Am I doing it all wrong? What is the best fat burner - I've heard it should be under the 75% of your max rate and to not go flat out! I'm more than happy with my fitness and resting rate of 50BPM, it is the stubborn pounds that I want to lose!

The riding i do is a lot of mountain biking and downhill, downhill riding is one of the hardest and most thrilling sports on a bike, and i can say I'm totally addicted (it costs a bloody fortune though) Many riders say getting up the hill is a nightmare, using uplifts or chair lifts, sissy's. I think that's part of it, its a good graft trying to push a 45ish pound bike up a hill whilst carrying a helmet armour and a backpack full of tools (OK slight exaggeration on the tools its just one multi tool) and a 3litre reservoir. once your up though you know what it was for, :twisted: screaming all the way to the bottom :twisted: .

Been doing this a year now and my fitness is the best its ever been, you work most muscle groups and burn about a million calories.

I recommend it to all, if you have got a bank account the size of bill gates you'll find it easy to follow unlike me i'm ,poorer than a chav on the rocknroll :D

Mennox said:
what you mean Wah?

Its a perfectly legitimate question thank you
I thought it quite a legit question too. Take no notice of ozduke.

B_T :?

I am riding 8Km a day(in one go), I thought I was doing well. I will now go and stand in a corner....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John G Health and Fitness 147
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 21
Fireplace Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 6