Cycling ---> sh1te running?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was advised that cycling could actually have a deleterious effect on my (already pretty shit) running, as it causes the calves to 'lock up' (I think). Is this the case?

I've started cycling to work and back (only about 4 miles each way) thinking it would improve my general CV; but will it make me an even worse runner, or is the distance so minimal that it won't have any effect either way?

2. Absoluate garbage. Just stretch. Standing wall stretch when you get to work.

3. I used to cycle alot, and at the time was a pretty good runner, so doubt that the two are linked, although as 1manriot said stretching should help as the cycling and running use the muscles in different ways. Although wont be long before they claim strtching is bad for you too.. oh hang on Stretching doesnt help

4. Cannot see how really, i laid of running for quite a while due to injury and used my bike instead ,it certainly kept my CV fitness levels reasonable and when i returned to running i didnt notice any real problems

5. What exactly is wrong with your running mate? Do you mean you're unfit or have you got a specific problem?

6. triathletes seem to manage ok!

just run more

7. Nonsense. I added cycling after I had plateaued at about 16:50 for 5K and a month later took 20 seconds off and maintained that level.

Any sort of cross-training is better than just running alone.

Stretching is v. important. I always used to scoff at the older guys who kept banging on about it, but now, it takes me a good mile to get fully warmed up when I run early in the morning.

8. Fundamentally, I'm unfit. :oops:

I'm working on it, but I just hate running, and so I wanted to build up general CV/stamina on the bike as a sort of 'background' fitness, if that makes sense.

9. Cycling will be fine then, in fact, it will help you build up the strength in your lower limbs and act as prehab to potential running injuries.

Worth noting, fitness can be specifc once you are relatively fit, that is to say that being a fit cycler won't necessarily make you a fit runner, but any form of CV will certainly assist other forms.

10. I cycle to work as it's a hell of a lot quicker and less frustrating than the car and I can't say I've had any problems. It keeps my weight down and adds a good 30 mins each way CV to my day in addition to what I can manage to squeeze into lunchtines. Keep varying your fitness routine and you'll be fine.

Mind you, I'm a carthorse so perhaps best not listen to me.

11. Thats what im like, i can go for ages on a bike but cant running.

And would a manual treadmill help with my running ??

12. If it's only four miles to work, why don't you consider running it instead?

13. Er... 'cos I'm a biff.

But I plan to start doing that (running back home, actually- no showers at work) a few times a week, a bit further down the line.

14. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I used to cycle a lot (bike messenger, 10 hours a day) on much the same principle, that if I was superfit from cycling all hours, I'd easily become a superfit runner. Sadly, not quite so.

The calves thing is bollocks - just stretch.

Cycling for a while before going back to runing will improve your CV fitness and such, but don't be surprised if when you go back, you haven't improved much. You need to develop running fitness & muscles, not just general fitness.

Cycling training + running training is fine, but don't do too much of it. Major problem there will probably be overtraining, and 'making up' for less of the thing you hate (running) by doing more of the thing you like (cycling). That won't improve your running, and will just make you more tired, so probably slow down progress.

I still use a bike to get around London, but aside from that I've found I had to cut out cycling altogether to focus on running, circuits, swimming etc.

15. Running is alot better for CV fitness than Cycling, though I can't see how it affects your calves if you strech them. Maku sure you balance your running and cycling out, but like Sarasto said don't compensate the one you hate for the one you like. If you want to become fit, then you will have to have an equal balance of both.