Cycling in North England - for the family

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by polar, Apr 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went on holiday last year to Saint Jean du Monts and really regretted not taking bikes, as the Vendee seems an ideal place for a young family to go out and about on bikes.

As of today, Mrs Polar, me and the wee ones all have two wheel transport and I've bought loads of cycle/camping stuff for the car.

I want to try out all this kit before we go on our main holiday which is on a cycle route down south. I'd like to do this up North.

I can only think of Skegness which matches the two aforementioned areas but its full of Fish & Chip eating erks. Also considered Tissington Trail in Derbys but our experience showed the tent site facilities to be lacking.

Any ideas? Needs to be flat, the two youngest are too young for proper bikes with gears. Want a 3-4 day hol in late May.

Expect Skeg is the answer as terrain wise it's quite similar to the Vendee, going up and down the coast line might be enough for the kids/wife. I want to convince them we can have a camping/cycling holiday in the Vendee/Holland would be viable next year.
  2. There is an excellent coastal route running along the East Yorkshire coast up to Scarborough all pretty flat. From Hull to Hornsea follows the old railway so is flat as a pancake (as is the whole area).
    If you wish you can use our our house as base camp (we live in Cottingham, East Yorkshire) as we are cyclists and have local cycle maps as well as Ordnance Survey.
    PM me for details email/phone no if interested.
  3. Clumber Park would be my suggestion.

20 miles of cycle paths in a very secure environment - very safe for the kids, no lunatics driving at idiotic speeds, but cars around for them to get used to.

Also great countryside locally once you've outdone the park.

Edited to add that they have a campsite there too.
  4. The Solway Coast between Carlisle, Silloth and Allonby is an area you should consider, lots of quiet roads and family friendly camp sites, plus there is the option of day trips into the lakes if you fancy a day away from the bikes.
  5. Wow, many thanks for the replies. Looks like I may take one/two/three extra short breaks for this year. Surprised I missed Clumber Park as an ex-Notts lad