Cycling Fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 5.56mm, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

Due to a recent shin injury I have picked up I am resting my shin for abit. I want to keep my fitness up though as I have only just got back up to fitness after a knee injury. I have been doing some cycling over the last 3 days, Sun-7 miles Mon-8 miles(cross country) Tues-15 miles Wed-18 miles. I just don't know if this will be enough to keep my fitness up until my shin heals. At the moment I feel I am aimsly training so I was wondering if there are any keen cyclists on here who can give me some tips on maintaining my fitness? Another question I have is, can cycling keep you as fit as running?

Thanks

2. Of course it can. Look how fit Lance Armstrong was! Cross training is good anyway as you're less likely to pick up an overuse injury. As long as you get your heart rate in the same area (or 10 beats less per minute for cycling) then your cardiovascular fitness will not decrease. You should still concentrate on endurance, intervals ect on a bike.

3. I agree Fall, but go careful on the big cogs and ensure the bike geometry is set right for you. In a nutshell spin don't strain on the pedals.

4. My knees are fucked enough to bother hitting the big gears anymore mucker! 8O

5. And mine, by the way if you need a good bit of kit for knee relief try the scholl vibrating knee massager with integral cool pack, its ace, yes I am a kitmonster but when you are old and knackered every little helps!

6. As Fally says, yes it can - but be ready to be frustrated anyway when you return to the running... Like all exercise, there are running specific muscles/movements that it will not maintain. You will have the same cardiovascular capacity (or better, if you go beserk on the bike!), but will find getting back into the running will require patience.

I seem to remember that the best 'all round' exercises are swimming and rowing (because they use all major muscle blocks from shoulders to calves, and develop core strength), followed by cycling/running. But all require different patterns of movement to be learned/developed.

In fact, the debate between keen runners/swimmers/cyclists (as to who is 'fittest') was partly responsible for the growth of the whole triathlon game. As an example of the point about learning movement patterns, the winner of the first ironman was - can you guess? swimmer, runner or cyclist? Wrong on all 3 counts, or right, depending on how you look at it - he was a US Navy guy who swam, ran and cycled as an obsessive hobby...

7. You can always invest in a 'flotation jacket' which is designed to keep you vertical in the water, from here 'running' in the water will remind your 'running specific muscles' to maintain that function.

Can feel odd to start with, mostly due I'd suggest to being self conscious in a 'swimming' environment. Adding lightweight plastic paddles designed to fit over the hands will allow a level of upper body resistance training/ mobility while vertical in the water. Both these routines are separately undertaken.

8. According to 'runner's world', Aqua running is an excellent form of recovery of injury as well as they claim' you will only lose 10% of running fitness over a period of 8 weeks'.

9. Cycling is a great way to get fit, its great until you hit a heavy wind that just slows you down to a slow walk.

If you have the space at home or in bks get a hold of rollers to help you, cycle indoors turbo trainers are a great winter trainer.

Try and vary the distance by looking at the BCF web site good info ther e, if you are really keen try a local club or the CTC for training nights.

Just remembered, mid 80's wee boy from govan, friend of my dad was king of the mountains for some race, he was a vegetarian btw.

10. Yes, but the best bit about shite weather is it's a good resistance training session. I love going on my bike, I ride 20 miles a day (When the wind hits, I get blown over the gaff on my carbon bike).

11. Whats the BCF website?

12. British Cycling (formerly the British Cycling Federation).

13. If you got a knee injury or a shin injury (shin splint - I presume) cycling is the best way to keep your fitness up without causing more injury for sure and I believe from my own experience allow the injury to heal and repair itself.

I have always been a keen cyclist and had the pish taken out of me no end when I was serving for it. Toughest part of basic training for me was not being able to go cycling or watch the Tour de France. When I got to my Battalion in Germany I got myself a decent road bike and kit and joined a good road club (German one as unfortunately my Battalion or the Garrison did not have any real serious cycle clubs at the time). I also used to go to Holland now and then to watch some smaller day races. Had my bike on indoor rollers my room as well, which I think most blokes in my Company remember me for. Even ended up volunteering to be the mess caterer in July only because the mess had satellite tv, which had eurosport on so I could watch the Tour. If I was doing a course anywhere the bike would always go in the car as well and the only thing that pissed me of about ops and exercises was no cycling. So I think you could classify me as keen.

Regarding your question - I sustained a knee injury as a crow at depot, which came back now and then on some courses I did later on in my Army career and if I did/do a lot of running it comes back.

When I got out I got involved with UK cycling club scene and raced (not too successfully though).

Regarding your question can cycling keep you as fit as running? Race training especially for long races is just a matter of getting the miles in day after day and racing is probably more demanding than anything the infantry (what I served in) physically have to do. I don’t know what you serve/served in but I have also trained with marines and paras whose endurance fitness because of their role is developed more than the standard infantry and I would say if these guys took a shine to cycle racing then they should be up their with the lead bunch or getting respectable times. I don’t know what you want your fitness for pleasure or professional reasons but cycling can easily match running as an endurance training exercise and it is not so damaging to the body.

If you’re going to get into cycling, which of course I strongly recommend, I would recommend:

1. Buy Cycling Weekly, which always has interesting articles for starters.
    2. Get to a good bike shop who have a bike fitting service and someone in the shop who knows his stuff.
    3. Get a decent bike - If your into road biking you can get good entry level bikes for below £500.00
    4. Get some proper cycling shoes that attach to pedals, which have lateral movement*.
    5. Find out about your local club through the BCF http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/bchome/home.asp or local serious bike shop - You can meet some real like minded characters in bike clubs as well.

* The only time my knee injury returned when cycling was after a long (200km) low level race when I was using fixed shoe plates which allowed no lateral foot movement in the pedal.

Its also an interesting fact that one of top professional Danish cycling teams (CSC) always have a team training week run by the Danish special forces at the start of their training season. The object of it is to try a get the team to bond and asses the stronger characters who would be used as team controllers (type of SNCO role) on the road in big long (3 week) stage races like the Tour de France.