Cycle2work Scheme

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Tyke, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this is a fairly bone question, but bear with me. I have read in various places about the governement supported Cycle2work scheme where your employer buys you a bike for commuting which you pay back for through salary sacrifice (obviously less tax and NIC which can work out as much as 50% :D ). This is very similar to the Childcare Voucher Scheme recently announced. I can find no information about it within the MoD and assume they are not signed up to the scheme.
    I was hoping that someone on this forum could direct me to the right policy bod to ask pertinent questions - like why not/if and when? It only seems right, and consistent with other Government policy, that we ought to be encouraged to travel 'greenly' and healthily.

2. If you are serving you can claim the mileage for cycling. One of our lads gets an automated payment of just over £7 a month for cycling the twoo miles to and from his quarter.

3. Ahhh! that should read two not twoo...

4. BigRed - thanks for that. I have now found the previous thread (which turned into an amusing, but ultimately unhelpful, discussion about the pros/cons of cycling) but it doesn't help me with my original question - who should I speak to ask why it isn't offered?
    P.S. The link you forwarded (and similar at wiggle and others) is the reason for my question - the point being that your employer needs to sign up to the scheme and, as far as I can tell, ours doesn't.