Cycle to Work scheme

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Lord_Wentworth, Jul 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello.

I cycle to work every day through London and I've heard about this "Cycle to Work" Scheme the Government has implemented which means that your employer pays for the bike and you pay back the employer through deductions in your salary, tax free. Thereby saving you up to 50%.

The Admin Office looked at me blankly when I enquired this morning but Cycle Surgery says I need to get a voucher from my employer. Does anyone know about this?

2. The 'Chain' of Command should know!
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

4. That sounds like fun.

5. Thank you, I had managed to get that far............ Still no mention of the MOD and how I go about getting the shagging voucher out of the Admin Office though!
  6. need your employer to sign off on it. I've got one but then I'm a stinking civvie!
  7. I fear I am the CoC....
  8. The MoD does not do it. Claim your HTD for a pushbike and buy a new one with that.
  9. Why would you do that when HDT is less for bicycles than for cars?
  10. Because if you cycle to work and don't drive a car then it would be a fraudulent claim.
  11. I've posted the reasons on here before as to why we don't get it.

However...................there are some shenannigans afoot to do something about it. It may take some time, but I'll report back here if and when we get somewhere. I'm in an unholy alliance with some civil servants on this.
  12. ...but only if you don't drive a car. For those that do own both a car and a bicycle I can't see the problem.
  13. The original poster said they cycled daily. Regardless as to whether they own a car they are not using it to get to work and as such should not claim HDT at the car rate.
  14. Drive to work with said push bike in the boot, then use cycle for round camp... simples :D