Cycle to Work Scheme - Torpedoed by JPA

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bad CO, Sep 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Not sure how many people were aware that the Government has an initiative to allow people to buy bicycles tax free. Not a bad idea for those of us who'd like to ditch the car, save the environment, fight paunch etc and I've been looking forward to a nice shiny new one after my last one was nicked in Kensington of all places!

As part of this it would appear that your employer has got to sign up to the scheme. Not a problem I thought as surely all government departments will have done this ..... joined up government, etc ......

Imagine my surprise to come across this thread (relevant bit is an extract from Soldier magazine):

2. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I can see why, from what I understand JPA is only just beginning to settle down to a level of adequacy that those in civi street would say was utter shite :D

The only way is up.

But if I were running JPA and was getting to the end of a very long to do list I would be very reluctant to add something else.

No doubt about it, JPA was an utter disgrace but the problem is not the software but the ridiculously complex pay and allowance structure the three services have. As we all know, simplicity makes things easier.

Surely there are other ways around this other than direct deductions
  3. Lets give JPA and it's info smashers a chance to get used to each other first - until then; Any decent bikes in your sports stores?

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm aware of the scheme through my civilian company. Essentially, the cost of the bike is taken from your gross salary each month, so saving on tax and NI. The cost of the bike is also spread over the year so you don't even notice it being deducted from salary.

Having spoken to some payroll bods it is also apparently very easy to administer.

Like the correspondents above I fail to see why the MoD find this so difficult to implement. All you have to do is lower the notional salary by the sacrifice amount. Not hard to do.
  5. msr

msr LE

And the chance of extending it to their 'spare time' employees...

Thought not.

6. Go to Evan Evans. If there is enough interest you can negotiate your own scheme through ARRSE.
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

To be fair msr, I can't see how it would work with us; you have to sign up for the scheme over 12 months and whilst we may have a reasonable idea of what our TA earnings will be, it's not exactly a dependable income due to ever changeable circumstances.

You sacrifice a set amount each month and what happens if you don't earn that amount in that month (injury / family stuff / hectic at work)?
  8. The gov scheme has all sorts of clauses. You would be better off just doing a mass order with a discount ticket through arrse.

I looked at the scheme in the early hours at work. You sign up to safety stuff and all manner of things concerning yourself and the cycle.

Check out the clauses.