Cybersecurity - 'State Trojans' ?

I suspect that issuing a press release condemning Russia or China every time the NSO Group do something to hit the press headlines may start to wear a bit thin after a while.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just to cut through the inevitable clouds of FUD around this issue - who actually wrote the code?

From my reading, the NSO group are based in Tel Aviv and the two lead developers are Israeli?

Is it even remotely conceivable that they have released ANY product without a firm nod from the NSA at Fort Meade? :scratch:

Just to cut through the inevitable clouds of FUD around this issue - who actually wrote the code?

From my reading, the NSO group are based in Tel Aviv and the two lead developers are Israeli?

Is it even remotely conceivable that they have released ANY product without a firm nod from the NSA at Fort Meade? :scratch:
NSO are alleged by some to be sock puppets for Israeli intelligence.

Others, perhaps more plausibly, think the relationship is more like that between hacking rings and national intelligence in Russia, that is a mutually beneficial partnership.

There is significant private intelligence industry in Israel, and a revolving door relationship between the senior levels of this industry and Israeli intelligence. Some people believe that Israeli state security employees are lining their own pockets by selling intelligence obtained from their jobs or obtained from allies to these private companies who then re-sell it abroad to dodgy regimes. This includes hacking methods.

There does seem to be some sort of relationship between NSO and Israeli state security and intelligence, but just what it consists of isn't known for sure. People who have gotten on the wrong side of NSO (such as Citizenlab at the University of Toronto) by shining a spotlight on them have found themselves under surveillance or subject to blackmail attempts. It is suspected that the intension is to intimidate people into avoiding looking too closely at them.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Um, yes.

Your concept of cyber politics / alliances is well out of step with reality. Israel are well capable of doing their own thing, and have done so in this area for decades.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not talking about capability - I'm talking about politics.

But as you say, even without Trump in the White House Israel is perfectly happy to carve its own path without let or hindrance from their main global ally.

What will be interesting in this affair is to see the extent to which the current U.S administration just shrugs and says:

'Nothing to see here.'

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not talking about capability - I'm talking about politics.

But as you say, even without Trump in the White House Israel is perfectly happy to carve its own path without let or hindrance from their main global ally.

What will be interesting in this affair is to see the extent to which the current U.S administration just shrugs and says:

'Nothing to see here.'
It is hugely in the US interests that Israel and the Sunni Arab states (broadly the GCC) play nicely together, and have the Shia Iran/Syria/Russia axis as their primary military and intelligence adversary. As such NSO type defence contracts are a big win for US interests.

The infantile understanding of global politics is such that nobody - particularly not Guardian writers - ever seems to acknowledge the alternative to the NSOs of the world is that our loose allies or neutrals instead go to Chinese or Russian companies for their nefarious Defence kit. This would not be an improvement.

For anyone who genuinely believes that this is wrong, I invite them to emmigrate to Beijing and try it out.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
There is an equally 'infantile' world view that says

' 1. Israel good - ∴ enemies of Israel = BAD
2. Where standard Diplomatic 'My own Country's Interest ' test fails - see Rule 1 '

Latest Threads