Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cyber Security: UK Int Panel warns against Huawei...

Interesting to see where this leads. Having experienced at first hand the US government's 'buy US rather than Chinese (or anyone else) for 5G', I get that much of the US posturing is potentially political/economic rather than security driven, but any system access must be a potential threat to cyber security.

'The UK has decided to let Huawei continue to be used in its growing 5G networks - but with restrictions.

'The long-awaited decision goes against advice and pressure from the US to block the firm for security reasons. But some industry-watchers believe it will benefit the wider rollout of next-generation mobile data services. "I think it's a pragmatic decision that brings stability and continuity in the 5G ecosystem," commented Stephane Teral from IHS Markit.

"Huawei has been investing in the UK and in other countries in Europe including France, Germany, Italy, and Poland since the beginning of this century. A ban would have been disastrous." Firstly, the decision is seen as a blow to US-UK relations. After months of lobbying by Washington, Westminster has gone against one of its closest allies. A Trump administration official has said the US "is disappointed" with the decision.'

Last edited:
Nose face...

Someone earlier posted something about ARM saying they won't allow huawei to use their chips, they've been making their own chipsets for years, the thing hurting them the most right now sales wise for the smartphone market is the septics denying them access to the Goggle ecosystem, and that's only for the Western World, their domestic market will use their own version of the google play store, and there's a lot of Chinese people in China.

And one of Canada's biggest telecommunications companies has announced a roll out of 5G services using Huawei equipment.
Telus to launch 5G network with Huawei by the end of 2020
Telus Corp. will launch a 5G network in Canada later this year using Huawei Technologies Co gear, Telus’ CFO said Thursday.

“We’re going to launch 5G with Huawei out of the gate,” Doug French said in an interview with the Financial Post, after the Canadian telecom reported fourth-quarter earnings.

“We will continue to work with the government to make sure we meet all their standards, but we don’t see anything slowing us down at the moment.”

They plan on using Huawei kit in the "radio access network" (RAN), but not the "backbone". This appears to be similar to how UK companies will be using Huawei kit on the periphery, but not in their "core network".
French said that the plan right now is to use Huawei gear in the radio access network (RAN) — basically, the antennas that send wireless signals to the phones — but it will not be the backbone of the Telus 5G network for now.

“In the RAN network, we will be launching a 5G network with Huawei,” French said.

Telus say that since 5G and 4G use a lot of interoperable components and they already use a lot of Huawei 4G kit, this is a natural move for them.
He said that since 5G and 4G components are interoperable, it’s natural that the 5G system will use gear from the 4G network. Telus already uses a significant amount of Huawei gear in its current wireless network.

I know which version of events I believe, and for a change it is the Trump administration.

'US concerns about the UK's decision to grant Huawei a role in building Britain's 5G network will be raised during Brexit trade talks between the two sides, it has been claimed. A delegation of US officials met with UK counterparts in Number 10 yesterday and reportedly made clear that the two issues could be linked. A source told The Telegraph: 'The Americans impressed upon us that the free trade agreement is going to have to be part of this Huawei discussion.'

'However, Downing Street dismissed that version of events and said it was not true that the US delegation had said the Huawei row would have a bearing on trade negotiations.'

I know which version of events I believe, and for a change it is the Trump administration.

'US concerns about the UK's decision to grant Huawei a role in building Britain's 5G network will be raised during Brexit trade talks between the two sides, it has been claimed. A delegation of US officials met with UK counterparts in Number 10 yesterday and reportedly made clear that the two issues could be linked. A source told The Telegraph: 'The Americans impressed upon us that the free trade agreement is going to have to be part of this Huawei discussion.'

'However, Downing Street dismissed that version of events and said it was not true that the US delegation had said the Huawei row would have a bearing on trade negotiations.'

Downing Street is living in a bubble.
Everybody knows, that an FTA has to make it through Congress. That Congress is aligned in their fight against Huawei.

The only thing the U.K. is going to do is give the Hawks the steering wheel and reduce our security commitments to foreigners who continue to act against our national security interests. The appointment of Grenell to DNI is proof of that.

America first is not going to continue to provide unwavering support to “allies” who continue to do everything they can to thwart our objectives.

I think you know this already. Hopefully Bojo massively boosts your defence spending.

America first is not going to continue to provide unwavering support to “allies” who continue to do everything they can to thwart our objectives.
It's also not going to provide those allies with much incentive to remain so.

This vision of America First is heading inexorably towards America Alone.

It's also not going to provide those allies with much incentive to remain so.

This vision of America First is heading inexorably towards America Alone.

Which is preferable at this rate.

America will never be alone, but it can be very selective about who it partners with and where our resources are deployed.

Remember when your “allies” neglect to invest in their collective defense, the US is expected to hold the line. Which is very expensive and commits the United States to allocating resources which are counter to our national goals. Not relying on other parties also allows the United States to pursue our own objectives without having to actually take partner nations views into account. Like a certain Iranian general who was removed from the equation. It certainly was a moment of crystal clear diplomacy.

I love how Jonsey screams about us living in a bubble, while relating every single thing that happens to Wyoming.

Do you recall how much of America's wealth comes from abroad? You need the world at least as much as it needs you - and you're increasingly giving reason to look for alternatives.

Trading with others is not the same thing as providing a defense guarantee.

Besides America has been making sure our hands are in the all the worlds cookie jars when it comes to trade. We have not been shut out. Can the U.K. say the same thing?

I love how Jonsey screams about us living in a bubble, while relating every single thing that happens to Wyoming.

In case you missed it again, nothing has been said about Wyoming. But if it makes you feel better Cheney has been leading the charge to prevent the sharing of intel with countries who use 5G vendors. The woman does have some clout in Congress as do all our representatives.

When Five Eyes becomes Four Eyes because it doesn't include the USA, what will you do?

Well it does seem that the US, NZ, and Australia are on the same collective page. The U.K. is the odd man out when it comes to 5 Eyes. But adapt and learn to live without other nations would be the best answer.

When Five Eyes becomes Four Eyes because it doesn't include the USA, what will you do?

But for the latest example of don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Guess which NATO ally is asking for Patriot missile batteries manned by American servicemen, to defend them against the Russians on the Syrian border...? I do believe that NATO ally is going to be told to kick rocks...

But for the latest example of don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Guess which NATO ally is asking for Patriot missile batteries manned by American servicemen, to defend them against the Russians on the Syrian border...? I do believe that NATO ally is going to be told to kick rocks...

You seem very proud of your country bullying others and playing security games over technology competition,