Cyber Security roles in Royal Sigs.

Good afternoon ladies and gents, just a quick one:

Would anyone be able to inform me on which Sigs regiments / sqns deal with Cyber Security / Information Assurance and all the rest of the jazz. I'm aware of JCU, but as far as I'm aware, the only gen I've seen is that these cyber security type roles in the Sigs is usually for Reservists?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Cheers.

Hi @Pegasus1940 I'll tell you what I know, which I know to be public domain.

In essence the 2 core units who look after this sort of stuff are pre-dominantly reserves, however some elements of other units will be involved also - elements of, I think, 10 sigs have involvement.
(Editted to remove incorrect info).

The best bet (having read your post regarding re-treading as a CSOP), is probably to speak to the instructors at Blandford - I'm a reserve type and have been in an out of corps post for a couple of years, so not fully up to speed on what all the regular types have going on at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi @Pegasus1940 I'll tell you what I know, which I know to be public domain.

In essence the 2 core units who look after this sort of stuff are pre-dominantly reserves, however some elements of other units will be involved also - elements of 14th Sigs and I think 10 sigs have involvement.

The best bet (having read your post regarding re-treading as a CSOP), is probably to speak to the instructors at Blandford - I'm a reserve type and have been in an out of corps post for a couple of years, so not fully up to speed on what all the regular types have going on at the moment.
Wrong. 14 has no remit for Cyber Security or IA.

Wrong. 14 has no remit for Cyber Security or IA.
Cheers AOS. I wasn't sure hence the disclaimer at the end - I know they were considered a few years ago, but I am out of touch a little with that side of life now.

I will edit and remove to prevent people getting incorrect info.

For "cyber" read "work with computers". The main effort is now on protecting our networks so we now deploy on exercise with a cyber protection team. They will do a bit of packet analysis, checking that updates are up to date, looking at logs on internet usage. 15 Sigs do this. If I'd floats your boat I suppose.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

They are looking at taking on a cyber role in the near future hence hosting the army cyber championships.

Not cyber security, though, I'll bet! :)

For "cyber" read "work with computers". The main effort is now on protecting our networks so we now deploy on exercise with a cyber protection team. They will do a bit of packet analysis, checking that updates are up to date, looking at logs on internet usage. 15 Sigs do this. If I'd floats your boat I suppose.

Indeed. With a couple of exceptions.

I was unreliably informed yesterday to the contrary

14 has a unique, niche role. It never has, and I'll wager never will, be involved in anything outside of EW.

My money is on 13 Sig Regt being reformed as 13 Sig Regt (CEMA). Possibly by marrying 223 Sig Sqn and a certain Sig Regt's Sp Sqn/HQ.

14 and 13 ride again! Giving TWO 'CEMA' Regiments. One concentrating on old school EW, the other getting all 'Neo'.

Purely a guess on my behalf.
Now there's a piece of insider knowledge!!!

Will they reopen Birgelen then :) ?