Cyber Operator Trade - R Signals

Good evening ladies and gents.

So, just a bit of gen I've heard, R Sigs are going to be creating a new Cyber Operator trade.

From the old and bold amongst you, can anyone confirm how gen this actually is? If so, are you able to shed a bit more light onto the situation.

Cheers gents.

Good evening ladies and gents.

So, just a bit of gen I've heard, R Sigs are going to be creating a new Cyber Operator trade.

From the old and bold amongst you, can anyone confirm how gen this actually is? If so, are you able to shed a bit more light onto the situation.

Cheers gents.
The Corps is completely restructuring itself. We haven't seen the output but I believe a cyber 'operator' is on the cards.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

anony_mouse

Old-Salt
I really hope not, as I'm yet to see an actual example of practical military "cyber". I'm guessing some turbo-solid SO1 wants his OJAR moment and thinks that by calling a trade "cyber", he'll have gotten the corps a new job.

I really hope not, as I'm yet to see an actual example of practical military "cyber". I'm guessing some turbo-solid SO1 wants his OJAR moment and thinks that by calling a trade "cyber", he'll have gotten the corps a new job.
There's plenty of cyber going on in the mainstream at the GOSCC and with the cyber protection teams. The latter is like having an ECI team out with you that audits your IT system. The crazy horse stuff you refer to is on the offensive front where mentalists are talking about a commander having the ability to deliver a cyber effect as well as the usual kinetic effects. Cyber really means all things computer and has replaced CIS and ICS as words bandied about that are commonly misused.

anony_mouse

Old-Salt
There's plenty of cyber going on in the mainstream at the GOSCC and with the cyber protection teams. The latter is like having an ECI team out with you that audits your IT system. The crazy horse stuff you refer to is on the offensive front where mentalists are talking about a commander having the ability to deliver a cyber effect as well as the usual kinetic effects. Cyber really means all things computer and has replaced CIS and ICS as words bandied about that are commonly misused.

You're completely right, and I should have been more specific and called what I was referring to offensive cyber. The fact that the only thing offensive about it is that someone is drawing a wage to talk so much shite.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer

If anyone thinks HMG is crazy enough to give the military access to offensive cyber, with its unpredictable outcomes and unknowable consequences unless very carefully planned and reconnoitred, I've got a beachfront property in Kirghizstan they might like to consider buying.

Commanders may well have it in their golf bag, but it sure as hell won't be delivered by the Royal Corps or even the military.

Did the Corps not have a SPACE troop in the mid/late 90's? Had a odd troop number and dealt with space satellites(up in the sky ones not the ground stations) and computer "problems".
Having a quick nose at the article at the troop office so I may of mixed it up with something else. Thinking about it the troop number was inline with high end TA ones so could of been a mooted special reserve type thing. Noting new then.

Did the Corps not have a SPACE troop in the mid/late 90's? Had a odd troop number and dealt with space satellites(up in the sky ones not the ground stations) and computer "problems".

I thought it was an RE task in the late 80s / early 90s - it was (as recounted to me) the ultimate year-long post for a Troop Leader; three months in each of the ground station sites around the globe. Nothing to do, just sign off the blokes' expenses claims and be the G1 bloke. One of our UOTC's former members apparently was pinged for this sunshine tour arduous task.

Diego Garcia, Ascension, and Hawaii. Utter, utter, lucky, b**tard.