Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cyber Engineer

Skelly87

Crow
Firstly, I'm 32 (33 in Oct), stuck in a rut right now, had to move back to my mums after me and my ex split up, got 2 kids and don't know what to do with my life. I've been to university a couple of times but found the path I was on wasn't for me, and I don't really want to waste more years in education as I now rely on the wage from my current job. The prospect of working a monotonous 9-5 dead end job for the rest of my working life is unbearable, but looking more into the army lifestyle, I think it could suit me.

My biggest hobby is computers; troubleshooting, repairing, building etc and I saw one of the priority roles on the army site is that of Cyber Engineer, which I think entails a few different sub-roles so to speak. Looking at it I find it fascinating and think its something I could make a career from.

I hear it's a relatively new role, so just wondered what the role was like and if anyone here has any first hand experience within the army or just going through the application process. Thanks!

Dr Death

War Hero
Do you have any CompTIA/Microsoft or Cisco qualifications already?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer

Why not contact the Army recruitment and arrange a unit visit. Get it from the horses mouth, so to speak?

Skelly87

Crow
Do you have any CompTIA/Microsoft or Cisco qualifications already?
No, I have no formal IT qualifications. What I do is just a hobby, helping friends out with their hardware/software issues kind of thing.

Why not contact the Army recruitment and arrange a unit visit. Get it from the horses mouth, so to speak?
I am considering that, right now I'm in the very early stages of considering this option, despite feeling it's the only one right now. My fitness isn't to standard either so I have a lot of work to do there. Though I guess it can't hurt just to talk to someone.

Latest Threads