Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cyber Engineer/Technical Trade

Good Afternoon!

I'm interested in finding out what people think about the current state of the Royal Signals and available roles; I've forever had an ambition of joining military service, be it RN, Army or RAF. However, at the end of my teenage years, I was offered a job in London as an Snr SRE (Google SRE), so that idea quickly vanished when I moved to the big city.

That was three years ago, and I can't stop thinking that I had given up a vast ambition/goal to move to London. While I love living in the city (Soho Area), I can't seem to get rid of this feeling, so I've decided to try and pursue something within the reserves.

My background is technical. I build/manage infrastructure/websites/servers for companies spanning from satellite communication systems to single small websites. I don't know how this translates to the military, though. I'm studying for the CCNA and LFCE, I've got my LFCS already, and I've managed to go through three promotions in the three years I've been in London (with counter offers from companies such as Apple/Amazon). So I must know what I'm doing.

I've looked at the Royal Signals, but the role doesn't really explain much, and I've seen on this forum that the "Cyber Engineer" is a glorified helpdesk which, without sounding cocky, is probably a bit below my current civilian position.

Can someone help out with technical roles that would somewhat be similar? I've heard about the Joint Cyber Reserve, but again, there isn't much online information about this. It's all "Sneaky Peaky", dare I say it!

Good Afternoon!

I'm interested in finding out what people think about the current state of the Royal Signals and available roles; I've forever had an ambition of joining military service, be it RN, Army or RAF. However, at the end of my teenage years, I was offered a job in London as an Snr SRE (Google SRE), so that idea quickly vanished when I moved to the big city.

That was three years ago, and I can't stop thinking that I had given up a vast ambition/goal to move to London. While I love living in the city (Soho Area), I can't seem to get rid of this feeling, so I've decided to try and pursue something within the reserves.

My background is technical. I build/manage infrastructure/websites/servers for companies spanning from satellite communication systems to single small websites. I don't know how this translates to the military, though. I'm studying for the CCNA and LFCE, I've got my LFCS already, and I've managed to go through three promotions in the three years I've been in London (with counter offers from companies such as Apple/Amazon). So I must know what I'm doing.

I've looked at the Royal Signals, but the role doesn't really explain much, and I've seen on this forum that the "Cyber Engineer" is a glorified helpdesk which, without sounding cocky, is probably a bit below my current civilian position.

Can someone help out with technical roles that would somewhat be similar? I've heard about the Joint Cyber Reserve, but again, there isn't much online information about this. It's all "Sneaky Peaky", dare I say it!
Most of the posters on here have been out 20 years. Ask a recruiter

Most of the posters on here have been out 20 years. Ask a recruiter
Hmm, I was thinking that, but I feel like a recruiter would be biased towards trying to get someone "through the door", no? Or are they forced to have an unbiased opinion about it? I doubt they'll know the very specifics of a role too?

Hmm, I was thinking that, but I feel like a recruiter would be biased towards trying to get someone "through the door", no? Or are they forced to have an unbiased opinion about it? I doubt they'll know the very specifics of a role too?
Just ask about out the role. Say you only want that job

Good Afternoon!

If you can, phone the recruiting number on the website, (online is currently down).

Good Afternoon!

This link will give you a better idea of what skills are required.... Working for UKStratCom