Cyber Defence on the cheap

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by A2_Matelot, Sep 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :rolleyes: So you've not done much work on embedded systems, then...:rolleyes:

...is much misunderstood. The original intention was to indicate which variables had been checked for "safety" (rather important when you're allowing the $&*(%(*&ing users to type things in), and which variables had not. This got twisted by pointy-haired types and the accidentally ignorant, into "describe the type" and the rest is an unfortunate history (it's still a simple credibility test of any firm's coding standard - if it's all about presentation rather than design, it shows that their leading engineers are muppets)

Making Wrong Code Look Wrong

And for those who don't see the problem...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. How about a dog in a dress, walking around?

As with Linux on Windows, I'm aware that it can be done, that people do it to prove that it can be done, and that it could even be considered amusing (for about 2.3 seconds).

But that doesn't make it right.

3. I break things, not create them and any tools I write are for me. I also write things like this:

Code:
    unsigned char    buffer[65535];

[...]

((void(*)())buffer)();

4. Test Engineer walks into a bar. Orders a beer. Orders three beers. Orders zero beers. Orders -1 beers. Orders 65536 beers. Orders a zxwyqqqrsy...

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Damn, why isn't the DROP TABLES; a cocktail? You drink it, all hell breaks loose, and you wake up with no memory of where you were...

6. Is this a wah?

7. Which part?

8. The CamelCase or camelCase question!

9. Not a "wah" per se, more a poke at the syntax fanatics as CamelCase is actually a collective name for both Lower Camel Case (soVariablesLikeThis) or Upper Camel Case (SoVariablesLikeThis).

• Like Like x 1
  10. The CamelCase or camelCase question!
    I've obviously lead a sheltered life, I thought it was a wah because I've only ever used what you call Lower camelCase...

11. You could always throw some_snake_case_in_there for variety.