Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cyber Attack - Australia - 19 Jun 20

A potential wake-up call for any country using Chinese tech as part of their critical national infrastructure. Australia appears to be the target of a major cyber attack, with the speculation being that it has originated in China. China has a significant stake in Australian CNI, is a major trade partner and has, due to statements made by the Australian Government in recent weeks about COVID-19, been making more and more aggressive statements in the open press. The Oz government is not openly accusing China of being behind the attack, but has characterized the attack as being 'malicious' and typical of the capabilities of a 'state-based' actor.

'Politicians don't get it. Our militaries are only just beginning to confront it. An all-out cyber assault has the potential to do as much damage as a nuclear strike. Or worse.

'Prime Minister Scott Morrison this morning took the unusual step of addressing the nation. Defence Minister Linda Reynolds was standing beside him. The country was under attack, the Prime Minister announced. But it wasn't by land, air or sea. Instead, it was on the digital front. And this "malicious" and "state-based" assault was being made against multiple fronts. "This activity is targeting Australian organisations across a range of sectors, including all levels of government, industry, political organisations, education, health, essential service providers and operators of other critical infrastructure," Morrison said.

'He refused to identify the source of the attack: "What I can confirm is there are not a large number of state-based actors that can engage in this type of activity." But the Prime Minister also declined to speculate on its objectives. He did reveal, however, that he considered it severe enough to mobilise Australia's "Five Eyes" intelligence alliance with Canada, the United States, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. "We have some of the best agencies in the world working on this, and that means that they are putting all of their efforts into thwarting these attempts," he said. Most significantly, the Prime Minister said the attacks were ongoing.'

And the inevitable response.

'China has denied it is behind a massive and “malicious” cyber attack on Australia’s essential services, government agencies, industry and infrastructure.

'Speaking to reporters this afternoon, Foreign Ministery spokesman Geng Shuang flipped the accusation on its head, casting China as “the biggest victim” of such attacks. “China is a staunch upholder of cyberspace security and we have been the biggest victim of cyber attacks,” he said. “We have been firmly opposing and combating all forms of cyber attacks. Our position is clear and consistent.” He said the idea that China was behind the attack on Australia was “wholly baseless and nonsense.”

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

endure

GCM
A potential wake-up call for any country using Chinese tech as part of their critical national infrastructure.

You don't need to be using any specific brand of kit in your infrastructure to be the target of a cyber attack.
You could have a country full of Cisco kit and still be attacked.

I suppose one could wonder what specific gain there would be for the attacker, if that was China. After all, showing one's hand at a time of (presumably?) very average political tension in the Pacific means that any attacks would be less effective at any future point. So, who actually would gain currently, either by maligning China or by temporarily weakening Australia? Do they have elections due, for instance?

I suppose one could wonder what specific gain there would be for the attacker, if that was China. After all, showing one's hand at a time of (presumably?) very average political tension in the Pacific means that any attacks would be less effective at any future point. So, who actually would gain currently, either by maligning China or by temporarily weakening Australia? Do they have elections due, for instance?

Or it could be a warning shot across the bow.

Or it could be a warning shot across the bow.

In that case one might think that a very specific turning-off of a noticeable 'something' would have a more salutary effect. A general, partially-serious splurge doesn't really do anything except show a lack of effectiveness, though perhaps the ensuing false sense of security could be an aim.

trying to intimidate ScoMo..... he’s the main Anti China Western voice

Seems to be all quiet down there at the moment.

I’m also quite hypnotised by the effect. I note it appears all quiet in China/India. I’ve not much idea who would have the upper hand in cyber warfare between the two, probably China, but my few minutes viewing saw nothing. If they’re hand-to-hand fighting on the border I would have thought that there would be some ‘afters’ going on between them.

ETA. Thank you very much for the link sbd, very interesting!

That's quite hypnotic to watch.

endure

GCM
Where does Cisco manufacture their kit these days? (Rhetorical question)

Which is irrelevant to the point I was making. You don't need kit made in China to mount cyber attacks.