Cyalume & Hydrogen Peroxide

Hi Folks,

I've got a bash coming up, theme is "tight and bright". My plan is to pick up some white clothing and dye it with the contents of cyalumes for the glow effect...has anybody tried this before and can give some hints, like how many I'd need, whether there's any glass I need to watch out for, and best ways of avoiding irritation? I'd wear layers underneath the dyed clothes.

Cheers!

Well a cyalume stained my lovely silk tie so White clothing should be alright. I believe the chemicals are safe if it's just skin contact, however I've no idea what it would do if ingested. Luminous piss probably.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd test it first as I have a feeling that it will stop working once the fluid dries off. plus you would need a lot of cylumes to wet out anything. home made solutions like tcpo need care and wet http://web.mnstate.edu/jasperse/Chem365/Cyalume.doc.pdf

radium paint would last longer :)

Having bitten the end off of one whilst somewhat drunk I can confirm it does not stay luminous for long, it also tastes ******* horrible.

Well a cyalume stained my lovely silk tie so White clothing should be alright. I believe the chemicals are safe if it's just skin contact, however I've no idea what it would do if ingested. Luminous piss probably.
You wouldn't believe how many people suddenly think it's a bright idea to chew the end off one of these when they have had a few. The stuff is a mild irritant and the only treatment, as long as there's no obvious severe allergic reaction, is to wash it down with water.

You wouldn't believe how many people suddenly think it's a bright idea to chew the end off one of these when they have had a few. The stuff is a mild irritant and the only treatment, as long as there's no obvious severe allergic reaction, is to wash it down with water.
The usual self aid is actually more of whatever they were drinking that made them think drinking the contents of a cyalume was a good idea. occasionally followed by vomiting a liquid with a slightly disturbing glow to it.

If they are really stupid and/or drunk then they'll swallow the bits of glass vial contained in the glow stick.

The usual self aid is actually more of whatever they were drinking that made them think drinking the contents of a cyalume was a good idea. occasionally followed by vomiting a liquid with a slightly disturbing glow to it.

If they are really stupid and/or drunk then they'll swallow the bits of glass vial contained in the glow stick.
Or put an orange one on your dog when there's a power cut.

*******. I know who you are.

Glow sticks contain hydrogen peroxide and phenol is produced as a byproduct. It is advisable to keep the mixture away from skin and to prevent accidental ingestion if the glow stick case splits or breaks. If spilled on skin, the chemicals could cause slight skin irritation, swelling, or, in extreme circumstances, vomiting and nausea. Some of the chemicals used in older glow sticks were thought to be potential carcinogens.[10] The sensitizers used are polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, a class of compounds known for their carcinogenity.

Or put an orange one on your dog when there's a power cut.

*******. I know who you are.
They dug him up or did they put a cyalume on the mantlepiece next to the pot?

Having bitten the end off of one whilst somewhat drunk I can confirm it does not stay luminous for long, it also tastes ******* horrible.
Thats what you say about everything you bite on...

From Yahoo Answers:

[h=1]How do you dye clothes with glo sticks?[/h] I need my clothes to glow in the dark, so someone said just to pour the glowstick stuff on a shirt. Is that true?
Is it dangerous? How long would it glow in the dark? What do you do just pour it on or do you have to wear gloves?

chotpepe...
[h=2]Best Answer - Chosen by Voters[/h] the glow sticks are full of glass that is very thin and hard to see .it will shred the shirt and you. and it will only glow for about 20 minutes in the open air. go to a craft store and get glow in the dark paint. it may only last till it gets washed but it will not cut you. this will glow for about 30 to 40 minutes when the paint is fresh and can be recharged with any light as many times as you like until it is washed good luck.

Case closed then. No idea where you'd get glow in the dark paint in high wycombe though.
Modelling shop???

Cheers
Gadge

You wouldn't believe how many people suddenly think it's a bright idea to chew the end off one of these when they have had a few. The stuff is a mild irritant and the only treatment, as long as there's no obvious severe allergic reaction, is to wash it down with copious amounts of alcohol.
There fixed it for you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DesktopCommando The NAAFI Bar 39
sweatysock Weapons, Equipment & Rations 2
E Weapons, Equipment & Rations 2