Cyalume & Hydrogen Peroxide

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by grey_man_2, Dec 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks,

I've got a bash coming up, theme is "tight and bright". My plan is to pick up some white clothing and dye it with the contents of cyalumes for the glow effect...has anybody tried this before and can give some hints, like how many I'd need, whether there's any glass I need to watch out for, and best ways of avoiding irritation? I'd wear layers underneath the dyed clothes.

2. Well a cyalume stained my lovely silk tie so White clothing should be alright. I believe the chemicals are safe if it's just skin contact, however I've no idea what it would do if ingested. Luminous piss probably.
  3. That sounds mega, I wonder why it hasn't been done before?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I'd test it first as I have a feeling that it will stop working once the fluid dries off. plus you would need a lot of cylumes to wet out anything. home made solutions like tcpo need care and wet

radium paint would last longer :)
  5. Having bitten the end off of one whilst somewhat drunk I can confirm it does not stay luminous for long, it also tastes ******* horrible.
    • Like Like x 8
  6. You wouldn't believe how many people suddenly think it's a bright idea to chew the end off one of these when they have had a few. The stuff is a mild irritant and the only treatment, as long as there's no obvious severe allergic reaction, is to wash it down with water.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The usual self aid is actually more of whatever they were drinking that made them think drinking the contents of a cyalume was a good idea. occasionally followed by vomiting a liquid with a slightly disturbing glow to it.

If they are really stupid and/or drunk then they'll swallow the bits of glass vial contained in the glow stick.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Or put an orange one on your dog when there's a power cut.

*******. I know who you are.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Glow sticks contain hydrogen peroxide and phenol is produced as a byproduct. It is advisable to keep the mixture away from skin and to prevent accidental ingestion if the glow stick case splits or breaks. If spilled on skin, the chemicals could cause slight skin irritation, swelling, or, in extreme circumstances, vomiting and nausea. Some of the chemicals used in older glow sticks were thought to be potential carcinogens.[10] The sensitizers used are polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, a class of compounds known for their carcinogenity.
  10. They dug him up or did they put a cyalume on the mantlepiece next to the pot?
  11. who would do something like that?
  12. Well think positively, its not as bad as a trip flare ***********!

13. can you prove that? you know the rules, photos!
  14. Thats what you say about everything you bite on...
  15. If what I've heard is true, cyalume tastes better than sweaty minge.