CWGC cemetery at Taukkyan, Burma

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by retread2, Mar 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For anyone who's interested, I've posted some shots I took of the CWGC cemetery at Taukkyan in Burma (Dec last year) in the Gallery under 'Historical'. They are sort of uploaded in reverse order in that shots of specific graves are at the front of the list and more general views at the back. Whatever, I'll try and do better next time!

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

My uncle is remembered there. I have never been told that his body was recovered from the field hospital in which he was recovering from wounds when the Japs counter-attacked and bayoneted everybody.

CWGC - Casualty Details

3. My Grandfather also resides there, 18 June 1944. I will have a look at the pictures, as I do not have a picture of his headstone.

4. I'm planning on going back but don't know exactly when. Burma was a fascinating place to visit. I'd be more than happy to photograph graves or names inscribed on the memorial for anybody.

For what it's worth, and I hope the photos bear this out, the place is beautifully kept. There were some other visitors there when I arrived, but I was soon left on my own. It is very moving to see a row of young blokes' graves from the same regiment, all killed on the same date.

I tried to thank the gardeners for doing such a good job, but we had language difficulties.

I also went to Kranji as I had a few hours between flights home but it was pissing down with rain which made photography dodgy, what with an umbrella in one hand and a digital SLR in the other.

I'll upload some general shots of Rangoon when I can find some time.

5. I will PM you details of my Grandfather, if you do go back a picture of his resting place would be wonderful.

He along with many others were moved to that place post war.

6. The CWGC is always on the look out for photos of headstones not yet in their library. Might be worth giving them a prod.

7. I'll do that - thanks for the suggestion.

8. I have images of ALL these graves plus ALL c27,000 names on the Rangoon Memorial.

I provide this service for FREE. Contact me with his details via; nt872b(at)hotmail.com

note: in addition, have ALL images of ALL graves and ALL names on ALL memorials covering 11 countries in SE Asia.

Bucklt (Asia War Graves Photo Group)

9. Bloody hell! What do you do in your spare time?

Bokkatankie, I'm still going and will be at Taukkyan on 07 Jan.