CVRT Confusion

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Listy, Jun 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've a question.

What CVRT are we useing now? Is it the Sabre or the Scimitar? and when did the other Vehicle get withdrawn from service?

I ask becuase the Army website has the Current CVRT down as Sabre, but everywhere else they call it a Scimitar.

Many thanks.

2. It is SCIMITAR, sabre was withdrawn early last year .

3. Sabre has (had) a different turret and co-ax.

Anyone know why it got sacked?

4. Turret was off a fox . It had a 7.62 chain gun . They got rid of them when CVR(t) was getting diesal engines .

5. thanks very much.

I take it all CVRT's have now been upgraded to Thermal imaging?

6. recce cpl- any idea when FRES is coming in? rumours on the grapevine is that its going to be wheeled instead of tracked, do you know anything about this?

VB

7. I was told by my OC the other day (at the naafi ) that because of the army overspend etc , we will not see FRES for years and years . They will keep updating CVR(T) .

8. Wheels are for Puff's anyway !!!!!

9. Sorry to be pedantic but...

CVR(T) is in fact a family of vehicles of which Scimitar is but one.

They are:

Sabre, Scimitar - Recce variants
    Spartan - variety of uses, i.e. Mor MFC
    Striker - Anti Tk variant
    Samson - REME Recovery Variant
    Samaritan - Med Variant
    Sultan - C2 Variant (or ice cream van!)

See Army Web Page for details.

10. RC, I think what you meant to say was 'they will keep CVR(T).' I don't think it has much growth potential left!

As for wheels vs tracks. There are some very capable wheeled vehicles around these days (Patira AMV and MRAV) that will give tracks a good run for their money off road and will cream them on road. I suspect that FRES will probably end up as a mixture, depending on the cpability required.

11. [​IMG]

and MRAV.

12. had the opportunity to do the trial on VERDI 2. Anyone remember that? Excellent concept, but putting it in a smaller vehicle than a gutted Warrior was the main problem, heard at the end of the trial the new recce vehicle would be a cross between VERDI 2 and whatever was 'popular' at the time(?)

13. How the feck can you be a hybrid between tracks and wheels? Tracks on one side and wheels on the other? Or is FRES going to be a half-track? White Scout Car w/Bofors anyone?

14. A lot of scimitars have got espire fitted now (thermal) it is a great bit of kit . What people forget about recce vehicals is that they are really a radio platform for the crew to use . A lot of the time FR regiments are dis-mounted in OP's etc . Its the crew that is the very important bit . Passing information on what it can see higher granted CVR(T) is old ( my vehicle was made when i was one ) it has been updated numerous times and there are some even newer updates knocking around Bovvy.We used it at Dogwood and it proved how good it was there . However with Bowman etc there may be problems . A lot of other countrys use wheeled vehicals . Generally they are much bigger than CVR(T) which is pretty pointless for recce and once again in our business its the guys inside / outside that matter .