Tank_Museum_20180919_450.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_451.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_452.jpg

Scorpion testbed:-
Tank_Museum_20180919_591.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_592.jpg

Scorpion FV101:-
Tank_Museum_20180919_760.jpg

Remember being bundled onto the front of one of these for our final RMAS exercise Ex Eiffel Tower in 77. The caring considerate driver of the 16/5th then gunned the engine and sprinted off down the road at one hell of a pace, some combats were dampened that day.
Very scary but it sure did beat an 8 mile advance to the start line!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Remember being bundled onto the front of one of these for our final RMAS exercise Ex Eiffel Tower in 77. The caring considerate driver of the 16/5th then gunned the engine and sprinted off down the road at one hell of a pace, some combats were dampened that day.
Very scary but it sure did beat an 8 mile advance to the start line!

They were fast, although I think come the time of our Herrick 11, they were so weighted down with everything required to make them not a death trap, that a lot of that speed had left it. Having said that, when we were faced off against an enemy across a small river that split a village in two, it was quite a nice feeling having two of them rock up, park up facing the other side of the village and start lobbing HE into it.

I loved driving them though, the drivers hatch was just the right height for me to rest the top of my helmet against it, thus allowing me to fall asleep more or less upright.

ugly

LE
I was a fox man. for about 6 months then we rerolled.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Oh if only the thread title had been

CVR(T) and CVR(W) Family

I always thought it a pity that CVR(W) Vixen was never introduced, like a Fox but more stable and room for a party inside plus that dinky little GPMG turret that all ended up on 432 s

NSP

LE
I always thought it a pity that CVR(W) Vixen was never introduced, like a Fox but more stable and room for a party inside plus that dinky little GPMG turret that all ended up on 432 s
Bovvy have one but it's not on display at the moment.

I was a fox man. for about 6 months then we rerolled.
When 2RTR were a Reccie Regt, we had all three. Ajax and Badger had Scorpions and Scimitars paired, while Cyclops had all Fox's and the poor buggers managed to roll a pair of them. No one killed but there was some serious injuries.
Why did the Army get rid of Scorpions? I heard due to a lack of smoke extractor and were sold to US Marines.

Fox was very top heavy and very unreliable in RHG/D the LAD hanger was known as Fox covert because that’s where most of them stayed.

Why did the Army get rid of Scorpions? I heard due to a lack of smoke extractor and were sold to US Marines.

A combination of the fume extraction and the CFE treaties, I believe. With the 76mm gun, they were light tanks and counted toward the treaty limits. Reinvented as Sabres with Fox turrets, they became tracked armoured cars and didn't.

CFE Treaties? Pray tell, that's the first I've heard of that.

Wikipedia - CFE

I guess they would've moved from the "tank" column to the "armoured combat vehicle" one. My understanding was, they were looking for a solution to the extraction problem, then CFE happened and they saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.

My knowledge of this is based on one conversation years ago. Happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

Londo

LE
A combination of the fume extraction and the CFE treaties, I believe. With the 76mm gun, they were light tanks and counted toward the treaty limits. Reinvented as Sabres with Fox turrets, they became tracked armoured cars and didn't.
Reading up on the sabres fitted with fox turrets they didnt seem to be in use very long . Reading the gumph on a sabre in a museum it stated one of the reasons was limited visibility from the vehicle . Anyone know if this was true and were there any other problems with this vehicle ? It seems like the scimitar was a well liked vehicle so how come the sabre never quite made the grade ?

As a CVR(T) crewman, the only criticism I'd have had was, the drivers periscope was a bit narrow on the field of vision. Also all around vision for the Commander was a bit restricted as well. A swivel Hatch would have helped but that would have compromised height.

Londo

LE
As a CVR(T) crewman, the only criticism I'd have had was, the drivers periscope was a bit narrow on the field of vision. Also all around vision for the Commander was a bit restricted as well. A swivel Hatch would have helped but that would have compromised height.
Thank you for a quick response , seems like the museum was in a way correct then . . Regarding the height issue Ive seen pics of the scimitar 2 with rollover bars on top of the turret . The thing must now be 8ft tall , way to high for a recce vehicle . Wonder if they are preparing the way for axax :

Thank you for a quick response , seems like the museum was in a way correct then . . Regarding the height issue Ive seen pics of the scimitar 2 with rollover bars on top of the turret . The thing must now be 8ft tall , way to high for a recce vehicle . Wonder if they are preparing the way for axax :
Ajax.... That things so big. To be classed a Reccie vehical is a joke. Still someone in procurement must know what their doing. :-?

Londo

LE
Completely agree @robinrocket111 . There must be a method in their madness . Cant see what it is though . Just revamp scimitar , if it has to be made a bit bigger so be it

Latest Threads