CVR (T) Scimitar with snow plough...

Discussion in 'RAC' started by TheBigUn, Jun 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This picture was taken 2nd Jan 1987 on Ex Cold Winter. Looks like Norway but I'm not 100% sure of the location? Could well be BAOR?

Who does it belong to? Anyone any ideas? My first thoughts were 1 Para Recce Platoon as I'm fairly sure it isn't an AMF(L) FRU Scimitar but if it isn't Norway that will rule that one out too?

Did anyone take part in Ex Cold Winter '87 who may have an idea?

[​IMG]

Picture source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FV107_Scimitar_COLD_WINTER_'87.JPEG

Cheers :D

Edited to add: When did Arctic cam change from Green/White to Black/White?

Ex Cold Winter is probably the US Military Ex name? Maybe this picture was taken on Ex Hardfall/Hardfall North?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tend to agree with Hardfall assessment. When we did it, all Arctic cam was Black/White. Surprisingly effective on SPTA in April/May. Can't see VRN to confirm if it was 1Para. (AMF Bn Recce was provided by RAC/RTR before this.)
    Beware the snow snakes.......

3. After closer analysis I'm assuming it's an Infantry wagon. Probably 1 Para Recce Platoon as first thought. You can just make out the first issue Infantry lightweight snow shoes in the (poorly constructed) right hand basket. The ones with the bright orange straps. (Who thought of them ffs?)As an aside they later changed them to all white.

Also the crap ammo box bins on the front are very un-RAC and not least the set of HIBS hanging from the gunners wind shield. Plus the lack of MBSGD rubber caps and no ridiculous yellow Danger plaque on the II sight cowl door.

I can also make out a standard CVR(T) headlight on the left hand side. FRU CVR(T)'s had outsize spotlight sized ones retro fitted. Like this one from C Sqn, 16th/5th The Queen's Royal Lancers. Which is green/white cam.

[​IMG]

4. You think those bins are Un_RAC, every Scimitar/Scorpion i ever saw in the Regt had bins like that all over them, certainly not a sign of being an Infantry wagon.

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Well you made your life difficult for yourselves. As soon as we ripped off the float screens, we attached Chieftain bins on three sides