• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

CVR(T) production to be re-started

#1
Just seen this on Janes Defence Weekly



*CVR(T) family to re-enter production for British Army
Negotiations are under way between the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) and BAE Systems to restart production of hulls for the British Army's Combat Vehicle...
30-Apr-2010



http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml

Discuss...

I am staggered, surely re-starting the Stormer production line would have made more sense and even that is an act of desparation.
 
#2
Salvador said:
Just seen this on Janes Defence Weekly



*CVR(T) family to re-enter production for British Army
Negotiations are under way between the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) and BAE Systems to restart production of hulls for the British Army's Combat Vehicle...
30-Apr-2010



http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml

Discuss...

I am staggered, surely re-starting the Stormer production line would have made more sense and even that is an act of desparation.
As the site will not allow access to the whole story how can we coment
 
#3
I am aware of some of the background to this and I can assure you that it makes perfect sense.

However, OPSEC very firmly applies. Please be cautious about discussions.
 
#4
tropper66 said:
Salvador said:
Just seen this on Janes Defence Weekly



*CVR(T) family to re-enter production for British Army
Negotiations are under way between the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) and BAE Systems to restart production of hulls for the British Army's Combat Vehicle...
30-Apr-2010



http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml

Discuss...

I am staggered, surely re-starting the Stormer production line would have made more sense and even that is an act of desparation.
As the site will not allow access to the whole story how can we coment

Ditto…
 
#5
Semper_Flexibilis said:
tropper66 said:
Salvador said:
Just seen this on Janes Defence Weekly



*CVR(T) family to re-enter production for British Army
Negotiations are under way between the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) and BAE Systems to restart production of hulls for the British Army's Combat Vehicle...
30-Apr-2010



http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtml

Discuss...

I am staggered, surely re-starting the Stormer production line would have made more sense and even that is an act of desparation.
As the site will not allow access to the whole story how can we coment

Ditto…
Can find no mention on BAE or MOD sites
 
#6
How much more do you need to know? They are in discussion to start the production of CVR(T) hulls!!! Why would OPSEC apply to this? Its been published on Internet that everyone has access to (OK not the whole story but you only have to pay Janes for the privilage) and what use is that information to anyone. OK so they must be running out of usable hulls how does that help "Terry Taliban" FFS he probably knows that anyway as replacement of the CVR(T) family has been well publicised by the MoD and MSM and they have just awarded a contract for the FRES SV to replace it!!! Or am I missing something?
 
#8
In absence of details, I'll stick my neck out and say if this is happening, it's because while the FRES recon contract provides a vehicle that can do recon safely, it can't be used for the niche airmobile armour role (short of using a C-17). As a result, the need for an (updated) CVR(T) still stands.
 
#9
Having worked on CVR/T for the best part of 15 years, as an end user, I'm pleased that they've decided not to ditch it in favour of something bigger. I get the concept of a bigger, safer recce vehicle, but the air mobile capability of CVR/T is/was something that should be maintained.
 
#10
Parapauk I don't know but wouldn't think it was for any new derivative of the CVR(T) but I could be wrong. I think its probably a simple case of they are running out of useable hulls and the replacement FRES SV aka ASCOD2 or ASCOD SV is some years away and they need to plug the supply gap!!!
 
#11
Who mentioned OPSEC, I always thought the CVR was a shite hot piece of kit I just wanted to see the info on what sort of upgrade it would be getting, as with the 432, the CVR with up to date fixtures and fittings should be a great air portable assett
 

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
As long as they kit the bugger out with some decent 'old fashioned' weaponry as opposed to that shocking piece of nightmares they dropped in circa '95.
 
#14
Replacement of hulls and increased capability.

It is the capability part to which OPSEC applies, and it would be wrong to discuss the exact details in this forum until MoD decides just how much it is going to reveal.
 
#15
So - part of the FRES capability is going to be based on a 50 year old, flat bottomed, aluminium alloy armoured chassis?

Let's hope that all our future enemies forget what the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have taught the world and get all their tactics from GENFORCE.

It might be mobile and air-portable, that's because if you explode anything underneath it the whole thing will open up like baked bean can being thrown on a fire.

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the brains in the armour world can use the experience of the last 9 years to produce something a bit more appropriate for the modern battlefield.
 
#16
asr1 said:
So - part of the FRES capability is going to be based on a 50 year old, flat bottomed, aluminium alloy armoured chassis?

Let's hope that all our future enemies forget what the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have taught the world and get all their tactics from GENFORCE.

It might be mobile and air-portable, that's because if you explode anything underneath it the whole thing will open up like baked bean can being thrown on a fire.

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the brains in the armour world can use the experience of the last 9 years to produce something a bit more appropriate for the modern battlefield.
No, CVR(T) is not part of the FRES capability.

But until FRES SV meets IOC, it makes sense to keep CVR(T) going, improving capability wherever practically possible.
 
#18
asr1 said:
So - part of the FRES capability is going to be based on a 50 year old, flat bottomed, aluminium alloy armoured chassis?

Let's hope that all our future enemies forget what the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have taught the world and get all their tactics from GENFORCE.

It might be mobile and air-portable, that's because if you explode anything underneath it the whole thing will open up like baked bean can being thrown on a fire.

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the brains in the armour world can use the experience of the last 9 years to produce something a bit more appropriate for the modern battlefield.
Well you can't have it all, and as a recce vehical the CVR is a good piece of kit but it is almost useless in the environment we now find ourselves fighting in( the Helmand Green zone) , but if we go back to a more conventional war without IEDs and choke points it will be very handy to have
 
#19
tropper66 said:
asr1 said:
So - part of the FRES capability is going to be based on a 50 year old, flat bottomed, aluminium alloy armoured chassis?

Let's hope that all our future enemies forget what the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have taught the world and get all their tactics from GENFORCE.

It might be mobile and air-portable, that's because if you explode anything underneath it the whole thing will open up like baked bean can being thrown on a fire.

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the brains in the armour world can use the experience of the last 9 years to produce something a bit more appropriate for the modern battlefield.
Well you can't have it all, and as a recce vehical the CVR is a good piece of kit but it is almost useless in the environment we now find ourselves fighting in( the Helmand Green zone) , but if we go back to a more conventional war without IEDs and choke points it will be very handy to have
Unfortunately as the next two countries due for a visit are Somalia and Yemen, and Russia has not yet reformed the 3rd shock army and shown hostile intent then IED's, RPGs and RKG3's are probably going to feature pretty heavily over the next 20 years.
 
#20
There will be no conflict any time in the near future where the IED doesnt feature, the cat is as they say, out of the bag

We started looking at a replacement for CVR(T) in 1989 with the Future Family of Light Armoured Vehicles (FFLAV) then we had TRACER then came along FRES. Hundreds of millions p1ssed up the wall and it comes to remanufacturing a design that is nearly 50 years old (the first Scorpion prototype came out of the ARV programme in the mid 60's)

Good sense it may be for the short term but no less shocking
 

Latest Threads

New Posts