CVR (T) or (W) Which was the Best and Why?

Ok Troops we have done the MBT to death so now i want to know which CVR was the best be it (Track) or (Wheel)?
I spent 4 years on Fox and still think that it was a stonking wagon, treat her with respect and she was GREAT FUN!

30mm,Jag 4.2 Fun.Fun.Fun.....

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Scorpion, bring it back.

The new version is out there and would work in this Interim medium Armour nonsense that is being bandied around.

CVR(T) Scimitar as a medium capability, my ARRSE.

Been in action twice on a Scimitar , seen a wagon from my troop blown up at Dogwood last year the boys had cuts and a sprained ankle . Top bit of kit . You can all the ''gucci'' kit you want but a good runner of a scimitar and a decent crew wins hands down .

Scimitar for me! I didn't work on Scorpion too long before they withdrew it from service so didn't do much with the 76mm. Enjoyed converting to 30mm even though it has the most confusing and drawn out component names in the world - "rack catch plunger release catch cam" anyone?

Pielover said:
Scimitar for me! I didn't work on Scorpion too long before they withdrew it from service so didn't do much with the 76mm. Enjoyed converting to 30mm even though it has the most confusing and drawn out component names in the world - "rack catch plunger release catch cam" anyone?
Ahhh........happy days! Allegedly the longest part name in the British Army 8O
.........but I worked mainly on Scorp, so I have a lastig love/hate relationship for the beast: no sooner do you list a list of krap things - then up pops a list of (fairly) good things..........a good gun to work with, as long as you had you had a good gunner: the ammo was blah!...........firing HESH at Castlemartin in a strong L to R wind and first lay had to be at least 50m outside the extreme left of arc..........feckin' wind BLEW the bleddy thing back in :D
But it was a child of its times........the engine was pants, no power traverse but it was fast, agile, low profile and ideally suited to pairs work......I loved it! :lol:

GrumpyOldMan said:
Pielover said:
.........but I worked mainly on Scorp, so I have a lastig love/hate relationship for the beast: no sooner do you list a list of krap things - then up pops a list of (fairly) good things..........a good gun to work with, as long as you had you had a good gunner: the ammo was blah!...........firing HESH at Castlemartin in a strong L to R wind and first lay had to be at least 50m outside the extreme left of arc..........feckin' wind BLEW the bleddy thing back in :D
But it was a child of its times........the engine was pants, no power traverse but it was fast, agile, low profile and ideally suited to pairs work......I loved it! :lol:
That's not very long... :) how about screw retaining intermediate firing needle withdrawl lever? the smallest part of a cent 105 breech block!! 8O

Loved CVR(T) especially 76. As previously stated a good gunner was key. MBT gunners did not often make the switch to 76 without some heartache.
I never crewed CVR(W) but was always impressed with it's mobility on training areas, (SLTA/SPTA) it could and would leave Scorp/Scim standing.
Real cross country (443) minimised the advantage. Its performance as a gun platform was superb. Traverse and elevation gearboxes very good with little or no play/backlash in traverse unlike Scimitar.

All CVR as previously stated Fun Fun fun :lol:

Domart said:
MBT gunners did not often make the switch to 76 without some heartache.
I know what you mean. I was a Chieftan gunner before going into Recce and it was like going back 20 years - no IFCS,Rangefinder,power traverse/elevation or decent nightvision but it was still more fun to work on.

ugly

LE
I was a rarden Gunner in fox back when Airportable Inf Bns had them for recce plns. Better than walking perhaps, good pose value till it broke down. I suspect we never got the best REME being inf and MT wouldnt even train us to drive it so we were knackered in the field OP role. Pose value when awaiting the wrecker (happened far too often) 0,. Luckily my 00GM94 ran like a dream. Ex RTR lad as driver me as gunner and commander when someone could be bothered. Good gun but no room for a real gat on board, poxy small metal gun in the turret! A bit weird firing at Warcop when chieftan next door lets fly.

1 RTR handed over to 13/18H in Herford in Nov 1982 and the "Milkmen" were thrilled to bits to be going onto CVR/T after 2 years on Fox. I suppose that says it all. I commanded both Scorpion & Scimitar and without doubt feel that Scorpion "in a gunnery sense" was a hundred times more fun. B Sqn 1 RTR were the first unit in the entire army to be equipped with Fox (Tidworth 1975) and only received it because the Nigerian army were interested in buying it but only if it was in service in the British Army. Although it was eventually issued to the infantry and TA as well as some Recce Regt's the fact is that it only entered service with the British army to ensure "export" orders were forthcoming. It was in real terms "not up to the job" and unsatisfactory.

ugly

LE
Not forgetting the run around anthill mob like when you traverse the turret! Ah Fox, sloping armour but not at the rcorrect angle and ally armour not at the correct thickness!

105AVRE said:
GrumpyOldMan said:
Pielover said:
That's not very long... :) how about screw retaining intermediate firing needle withdrawl lever? the smallest part of a cent 105 breech block!! 8O
wasn't there the "release catch cam lever plunger" too ?

Paveway you got it wrong it was the "Ratch Catch Catcher Release Catch Cam"

They were all bo**ocks, bring back the Saladin!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
GrumpyOldMan said:
...firing HESH at Castlemartin in a strong L to R wind and first lay had to be at least 50m outside the extreme left of arc..........feckin' wind BLEW the bleddy thing back in :D
Slightly off topic but it could be worse. I once backed a Command Troop Mk 1 Ferret onto the firing point to have a go with the Three Oh. Must be the only weapon in the world that will fire out of arc on both sides at the same time.
And John Wayne reckoned he could fire one from each hip?!?!?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
ugly said:
I was a rarden Gunner in fox back when Airportable Inf Bns had them for recce plns. Better than walking perhaps, good pose value till it broke down. I suspect we never got the best REME being inf and MT wouldnt even train us to drive it so we were knackered in the field OP role. Pose value when awaiting the wrecker (happened far too often) 0,. Luckily my 00GM94 ran like a dream. Ex RTR lad as driver me as gunner and commander when someone could be bothered. Good gun but no room for a real gat on board, poxy small metal gun in the turret! A bit weird firing at Warcop when chieftan next door lets fly.
I never served on Fox. Only two memories.

1. Having returned from Omagh, there was a lot of conversion training going on. A mate was driving a Fox up a particularly steep slope when he hit a false neutral. Commander knew what was happening and over the Larkspur IC implored him not to hit the break so that it would roll backwards down the hill and come to a halt. Sadly, he hit the pressel too late and the driver heard "HIT THE BRAKE" which he did. The commander ducked down inside, the other trainee, in the turret, only got half out ...

2. While our squadron was in Cyprus, "A" Squadron took their Foxes up north (KAPE tour?). Story was that the REEMs spent the whole day hopping from one broken down Fox to the next all the way up the A1. Then they eventually got to Fenham Barracks. The SSM legged it straight into the cludgie for a wazz. The officer in charge complimented them all on getting there, "now why don't you all go home for the weekend and see your families. Take your Foxes with you if you want." SSM came out of cludgie doing up flies and all he saw was a dust cloud and a young officer all on his own. According to the write-up in the regimental newspaper, the pair of them spent the entire weekend scouring the council estates of north-east England rounding up CVR(W)s.

105AVRE said:
ck in :D

Rack catch plunger release catch cam screw retaining.