CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Do these calculation include depreciation?
Ive asked that before - I know some UK figures for operating cost quoted in Hansard in the past did.

Photex says not and leaps on the massive differrence in costs as proof of European design = crap.

But then Photex insists on Quoting things such as Wildcat project and support costs as the (direct) purchase cost of x airframes and comparing it with the US military unit cost for the blackhawk thus demonstrating how widely over priced Westlands are.

The rest of us remain sceptical that Project cost / Number of airfcraft Vs Airframe cost where the Customer supplies equipment such as Comms, Nav, Engines (really) gives anything approaching a valid comparison.

Ive asked that before - I know some UK figures for operating cost quoted in Hansard in the past did.

Photex says not and leaps on the massive differrence in costs as proof of European design = crap.

But then Photex insists on Quoting things such as Wildcat project and support costs as the (direct) purchase cost of x airframes and comparing it with the US military unit cost for the blackhawk thus demonstrating how widely over priced Westlands are.

The rest of us remain sceptical that Project cost / Number of airfcraft Vs Airframe cost where the Customer supplies equipment such as Comms, Nav, Engines (really) gives anything approaching a valid comparison.

It doesnt sound expensive to me if it includes depreciation, to be honest, it doesnt sound expensive anyway, wages 8 hours per day regardless if the thing has to fly (not if it can) for crew and maintainers, its the price of having a professional military.

Unscripted, unsupervised and completely candid. This is uplifting stuff:

HMS Queen Elizabeth: Life on board Royal Navy aircraft carrier

He comes across as an absolutely first rate young man and I hope he continues to serve for many years to come, but there is absolutely no way that anyone in the British military speaks to the BBC unsupervised.

Last edited:
He comes across as an absolutely first rate young man and I hope he continues to serve for many years to come, but there is absolutely no way that anyone in the British military speaks to the BBC unsupervised.
If, as I suspect, this was produced in conjunction with Chris Terrill, there is every chance it was recorded unsupervised although it is likely to have been run past the ship's Command team & MOD Media before being released. Chris Terrill is given pretty free rein.

...Throughout 2016 and 2017 Terrill was embedded in the ship's company of HMS Queen Elizabeth to make a major series for the BBC about the largest warship ever built for the Royal Navy, "Britain's Biggest Warship". He returned to HMS Queen Elizabeth in 2018 and spent four months at sea to make a second series, "Britain's Biggest Warship: Goes to Sea". This focuses on the marrying of the ship with the F35 Lightning Stealth Fighter off the eastern seaboard of the US...

For seven months in 2021 Terrill is back on HMS Queen Elizabeth for her first operational deployment to the South China Seas. This is to make a six part series for the BBC called Strike Carrier (working title) - in production...

Yokel

LE
Sky News was there too. At least the Commodore managed to make the point that the frigates and (Merlin) helicopters were able to keep tabs on Chinese PLA(N) submarines.

He said the same thing about Russian submarines in the Mediterranean - as noted here on the pervious page. The interception of Russian aircraft was also worth flagging up.

Forces News was also there. If you look at the map of where the Queen Elizabeth group has been, you will see a detour of East Africa before heading to Oman. I know that a week or two ago one of the Point class vessels was in the area, so was this an opportunity to demonstrate protecting crisis response shipping?

What is the significance of the day-glow orange brassard, on his left shoulder?

That chap made me smile - so lovely to see someone being happy and positive. I suspect that most people are actually like that, but the prism of the media and social media just concentrates on the miserable, negative, spolit twats!
Anyway, I doff my cap to that bloke.

I suspect it identifies him as a member of the ship’s Standing Sea Fire & Emergency Party but I am open to correction. I have seen red surcoats worn for this purpose, too.

I know that at “JHQ”, Rheindahlen, the guards manning the perimeter, access, vehicle check points were armed . . . BUT, the significance of them wearing a red brassard, was to indicate the security level had risen to such a state that they were ALSO carrying ammunition, with which to “load” the weapons, that they customarily carried empty !!

There was/is, also the infamous red brassard with gold wheel, symbol, worn by Movement Staff, when on duty. Something that I was qualified to wear, but never had the opportunity to do so.

BUT, neither of the two above, would be appropriate, applicable, on-board HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Last edited:
I suspect it identifies him as a member of the ship’s Standing Sea Fire & Emergency Party but I am open to correction. I have seen red surcoats worn for this purpose, too.
Under training?

Allan74

Old-Salt

He seems a good chap but I doubt the RN / MoD would allow a totally 'free form, unsupervised' piece especially as the clips of the RN at work are used as recruiting material.

Latest Threads