CVF and Carrier Strike thread

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
And you're basing this on what deep knowledge and experience of ASW weapons, capabilities and countermeasures?

Are you trying to qualify for the "Wrong about everything. All the time." T-shirt?

well you won’t be upset then if the Wildcat gets binned in the IR, will you?

Doesn’t even have any ability to look for a submarine, just drop its two torpedos ‘somewhere about....here’

why DOES the RN have a helicopter with almost zero ASW capabilities as an ASW helicopter, at twice the unit price and operating cost of proper ASW helicopter?
mind you, it can’t even do ASuW yet, that’s another thing against it.

just think, if it had bought SH-60’s, proper ASW/ASuW helos, deleting them like the over expensive one trick too small for any job Wildcats wouldn’t even be on the cards.

something tells me some people in dark blue have no deep knowledge about how to buy systems that aren’t useless vanity projects.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
All this dark blue flailing around and button smashing like angry drunks as a couple of decades worth of very poor rotary procurement decisions, buying eye wateringly expensive to own and operate niche helicopters, come home to roost, and the Royal Navy is now looking at the virtual annihilation of its helicopter force in the IR

160 heavy ASW helos to just 30 in a generation, and very probably no more light light helicopters - outstanding.

enjoy the future, it really is radio controlled drone helicopters, one torpedo at a time.

28E9A657-E8AA-41A3-AABF-80E9A444BBE2.jpeg

Back to the US future, with the RN’s very own DASH!

All this dark blue flailing around and button smashing like angry drunks as a couple of decades worth of very poor rotary procurement decisions, buying eye wateringly expensive to own and operate niche helicopters, come home to roost, and the Royal Navy is now looking at the virtual annihilation of its helicopter force in the IR

160 heavy ASW helos to just 30 in a generation, and very probably no more light light helicopters - outstanding.

Interesting numbers there - could you source your 160ASW machines in - we will be Generous and say 1990 - Because it appears youve counted everything in the FAA (excluding FW) as ASW in 1990 ish as ASW but only Merlin in 2020

For point of reference

Youve declared that Wildcat isnt an ASW machine because all it can do is drop stingray where its told - which has to mean by Default Lynx isnt an ASW Machine.
Total Seaking Production was 112 Airframes however its unclear if this includes the RAF SAR fleet and the 4 pre production models - but we will assume it doesnt so will allow the RN rounding up 120 Seakings

Thus in 1990 there can only be a maximum of 120ASW Machines by your definition - However that assumes all seakings are ASW - whereas we know we need to remove a few dozen for the Junglie fleet plus a few more HAS5s?? that performed SAR and general utility and of course the handful of AEW machines.

By my estimates were down to 70 or 80 ASW machines at best. I havent included losses, or retirement of older models that werent upgraded - ive no idea what these are although there are 2 at leasti can thinkof relating to 1982.

You were quick to critique what you considered (my) shoddy research yesterday - so ive made sure to include clearly why i think youre figures are erroneous.
Im sure you will have the facts and figures to demonstrate where ive erred and will of course enlighten me

enjoy the future, it really is radio controlled drone helicopters, one torpedo at a time.

View attachment 554575

Back to the US future, with the RN’s very own DASH!

Since its going to be replacing Lynx where exactly do the Booties sit - when its used to conduct boarding tasks

Last edited:

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Remind me again how many torpedos the Wildcat carries again to not very far?
Because of course the only role Wildcat has, is ASW.

Oh, what, it's got other jobs to do?

In fact ASW is a secondary, backup task for Wildcat, doing VECTAC for other platforms where more weapons are needed? (Except of course in PhotEx's world, where all ASW weapons have a SSPk of at least 1.0...)

Have you never heard the phrase "when you're in a hole, stop digging"?

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

If all it was tasked with was anti-submarine warfare, no.

But since it's got rather more tasking than that, losing it would be a problem. Of course, you knew that but just enjoyed looking ignorant, didn't you?

why DOES the RN have a helicopter with almost zero ASW capabilities as an ASW helicopter, at twice the unit price and operating cost of proper ASW helicopter?

Is it an ASW helicopter? Is that all it does? Is that a primary mission, or a secondary capability?

(Rhetorical questions for the audience - you've demonstrated your ignorance on the subject, but not everyone's as thick as a whale omelette...)

Doesn’t even have any ability to look for a submarine, just drop its two torpedos ‘somewhere about....here’

mind you, it can’t even do ASuW yet, that’s another thing against it.

just think, if it had bought SH-60’s, proper ASW/ASuW helos, deleting them like the over expensive one trick too small for any job Wildcats wouldn’t even be on the cards.

something tells me some people in dark blue have no deep knowledge about how to buy systems that aren’t useless vanity projects.
In my last job I was briefed in on a number of capabilities for the Wildcat, plus tasked to look at some of its technical capabilities.

There are problems of course - it cannot dip, nor eject sonobuoy. For ASW it is effectively a weapons delivery platform, but considering the capabilities of our tailed FF this is no bad thing.

In its other duties however it is an incredible asset to the fleet - if you were in the loop in any way and read into its capabilities then you would be singing its praises. That you are not indicates your level of information on the matter.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, it does carry the mighty anti surface surface punch off… a door gun!
At least the old Wasp had some missiles

Obviously, this never happened. PhotEx says it is impossible. And PhotEx is an educated man.

1614949873141.png

Clearly, this isn't a Wildcat carrying missiles, since PhotEx says that is impossible. And PhotEx is an educated man.

1614949919892.png

I believe the wise father, Sir Topas, summed it up nicely:-

"Madman, thou errest. I say, there is no darkness but ignorance, in which thou art more puzzled than the Egyptians in their fog."

A couple of days ago Photex was loudly proclaiming that there was no longer any Russian submarine threat. He said the Russians had only a handful of antiquated and unreliable submarines and the current Russian submarine fleet was a shadow of its former Soviet self. I'm not sure just why the RN would have needed to keep hundreds of anti-submarine helicopters to deal with something that no longer existed.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Photex/SOI is a **** and in his tenure at NCHQ as a low grade functionary was a laughing stock. Well he did do a nice line of clip art.

He has no experience or knowledge of maritime operations other than that he got hanging around the tea boat on Whale Island. He is not to be trusted as a source of information on anything other than which slide transition to use in Powerpoint.

A couple of days ago Photex was loudly proclaiming that there was no longer any Russian submarine threat. He said the Russians had only a handful of antiquated and unreliable submarines and the current Russian submarine fleet was a shadow of its former Soviet self. I'm not sure just why the RN would have needed to keep hundreds of anti-submarine helicopters to deal with something that no longer existed.

Even the Shermans are looking again at the North Atlantic balance

Even the Shermans are looking again at the North Atlantic balance

That's one of the reasons the Americans reversed course on the LCS project and have decided to license build FREMMs instead.

Mattb

LE
Have you never heard the phrase "when you're in a hole, stop digging"?
Mostly he just changes username and goes back to posting the same half-baked opinions.

How many accounts is he on now?

Obviously, this never happened. PhotEx says it is impossible. And PhotEx is an educated man.

View attachment 554682

Clearly, this isn't a Wildcat carrying missiles, since PhotEx says that is impossible. And PhotEx is an educated man.

View attachment 554683

I believe the wise father, Sir Topas, summed it up nicely:-

"Madman, thou errest. I say, there is no darkness but ignorance, in which thou art more puzzled than the Egyptians in their fog."
80CF841C-2A07-4305-9B40-4ADE07B0840E.jpeg

Latest Threads