Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Is the CH-53 anything like a Merlin? I mean all these numbers do my head in, but we see on another thread the US looking at a new heavy lift, anything better for ASW platforms?
If it helps here’s visual

my photos of Merlin @ attending 100 years of AW 2015
07DE28F5-CEF0-4CAB-BEC0-D8F475622B32.jpeg

Then to Ch-53E Super Stallion I saw at Dubai 2015

06D541B3-7E7B-419A-8FB8-C38536087C60.jpeg

and the larger CH-53K King Stallion i saw at ILA Berlin 2018

DE60FB93-639D-46F8-A708-BBBF49EEC4F8.jpeg

53E and 5§K is largest helo in t/e West ....

cheers

Yeah OK, I was following this thread and the ASW platform and wondered why CH-53 hadn’t been mentioned.

The book I was reading said the MV-22 was very tight and they preferred flying into the fight in the CH-53.

CH-53 never envisioned for anti sub but for for The Navy the MH-53E Sea Dragon is used for Airborne Mine Countermeasures dual roles with Vertical Replenishment. again from Dubai Airshow 2015, got whistlestop brief on (my pics).

4481FF7B-ECC7-41EF-811F-6BA9CB1AB9F6.jpeg

Notice inside the back, the long metal,pole along the ceiling , when in AMCM role it extends out to tow the minesweeping sled across the water.

DFBA4C1E-14B8-46C8-98E6-94C731BF7FE6.jpeg
7F54D0C2-60B1-476B-9783-54CEC86C2AC4.jpeg
42B46107-4CA4-46F8-9DDB-AAA98286D68A.jpeg

Starting from the next Op deployment of the CdG, the Aéronavale Rafale M will deploy the NARANG refuelling pod.

It allows the transfer of 2 tons of fuel 400 miles from the carrier with a transfer rate of 750 to 1000 litres per minute.

ob_e77989_buddyrefueling.jpg

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There's the story of the Tornado being demonstrated to the assembled aerospace press.

Over goes the Flying Fin. Events go on, and then it's announced that the Tornado will be buddy-buddied by a Buccaneer before continuing on.

Afterwards, one of the intrepid writers rang the RAF's PR people and asked, if the Bucc had better legs, why hadn't we bought new Buccs with the Tornado avionics?

There was an expletive and the line went dead.

What we could have had (top; borrowed from a post by Magic_Mushroom on the RAF Cold War aircraft thread):
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 22.30.44.png

Yokel

LE
Getting back to carriers, and helicopters:

This 1978 article from Flight Global might interest you - entitled 'Navy keeps its wings':

Navy keeps its wings part 1

Navy keeps its wings part 2

Not only does it talk about the planned role of CVS/Sea Harrier/Sea King in protecting convoys - doing ASW and dealing with Bears doing long range targeting, but it shows that WG34 (the intended successor to the ASW Sea King) would be very Merlin like. The article focuses on the aircraft that would operate from the CVS, and does not mention that the Sea Harriers would be controlled by Type 42 destroyers and other ships, or that the ASW Sea King would operate alongside frigates - Cold War/Falklands operations. It did not anticipate the development of active dipping sonar, nor how this would be used in conjunction with frigates equipped with towed array sonars.

The Royal Navy's requirement for an ASW helicopter with increased range and time on station, and acting independently of the parent ship, is mentioned.

Some news from the last few weeks: HMS Queen Elizabeth has now assumed the role Of Fleet Flagship. On a more practical note - the RN is increasing personnel numbers by 3000 over the next three years - not only will this allow more ships to be fully crewed and put to sea, but it will help with providing people for the Lightning Force.

Mattb

LE
If you think the Merlin is big, wait until you meet a CH-53. The thing is f*cking massive - far too big for a helicopter to have on FF/DD, and frankly far too big to be sensible in the ASW battle.
Indeed - heavier than a chinook (although folds up smaller).

Some news from the last few weeks: HMS Queen Elizabeth has now assumed the role Of Fleet Flagship. On a more practical note - the RN is increasing personnel numbers by 3000 over the next three years - not only will this allow more ships to be fully crewed and put to sea, but it will help with providing people for the Lightning Force.
They should use this as a new recruiting advert. A patriotic song together with Brenda's newest and biggest war canoe hopefully going or returning from giving some Johnny Foreigner a good shoeing.

It would get them flocking in, forget all that 'this is belonging' nonsence from the army recruitment adverts.

Latest Threads