Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Mattb

LE
The AW139M has been adopted by the USAF and the Austrian Air Force have now placed an order too. There will be some politics involved (there always are) , but I can see this particular aircraft being our Puma replacement.
I wonder if it should have been our Lynx replacement too.

I wonder if it should have been our Lynx replacement too.

Ironically, I think a -60 variant should have been our Lynx replacement, albeit with the wildcat’s avionics. And not the shite army stuff, the maritime radar etc...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hmmmm

Japan hails U.K. plan to send aircraft carrier group to Asia

np_file_63311.jpeg

Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi on Thursday welcomed Britain’s plan to dispatch an aircraft carrier strike group to waters in the western Pacific amid China’s growing maritime assertiveness.

During a video conference with his British counterpart Ben Wallace, Kishi said Japan will work closely with the country for the dispatch of the strike group, centered on the aircraft carrier Queen Elizabeth, according to the Defense Ministry.

The carrier, commissioned in 2017, is Britain’s largest warship, weighing 65,000 tons and measuring 280 meters in length. It is expected to carry out joint exercises with the Self-Defense Forces and the U.S. military during its stay in areas including off the Nansei Islands chain in southwestern Japan.

Kishi and Wallace agreed that the two countries will “strongly oppose” any unilateral attempt to change the status quo in the East and South China seas through force, according to the Japanese ministry.

China has aggressively pressed its territorial claims in those bodies of water, raising tensions with Tokyo and a number of other Asian countries.

Kishi and Wallace agreed to strengthen a free and open Indo-Pacific and defense cooperation, and work toward holding “two-plus-two” talks involving their countries’ foreign ministers at an early date, the ministry said.

They also reaffirmed they will work toward the goal of North Korea ridding itself of weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles in a “complete, verifiable and irreversible manner,” it said.

I expect this is actually the annual FPDA exercise - slow news day at the Japan Times?

Funnily enough, @Cold_Collation and I were discussing Puma yesterday; for what it does, it is a good platform, but its OSD is fast approaching too. I can see it being replaced by the AW139M.
Depends On what SF want, Id be looking over to see what the Americans get, they have some tasty ones comming up.

even pre Romeo models fit just fine

View attachment 540479

An HH-60H Seahawk helicopter from the USS Nimitz lands on HMS Dragon [Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Dave Jenkins, Crown copyright]

That is a T45 which has a lot larger flt deck than a T23.

Here is a picture comparison to see the difference between the two deck sizes. The T45 as seen in the picture above is the larger of the two ships and the T23 which has been discussed mostly in here is the smaller.
(Google Maps)

20210118_193407.jpg

you’ll need to take that up with MOD(N), they captioned it.

So chap atop of work, and the once-a-day-sneak-out-for-walk/run-by-the (slowly) rising river, I have downloaded my H-60/S-70 Collection over the decades for you from likes of FArnborough, RIAT, Heli Expo, Dubai etc

26692A3E-6AF3-4B6A-BF10-FBB9A7BB376E.jpeg

‚Vipers‘ SH-60B at Farnborough Air Show 1998 (parked behind the RAH-66 Comanche second prototype)

533F1766-1E70-422B-AB29-33532B0ED17D.jpeg

and parked behind the ‚Vipers‘ Seahawk was 12th Combat Aviation Bde Uh-60A

58F489BB-3AB2-493A-93CB-A0B5F4CD9FA4.jpeg

Earlier that year, at Mildenhall Air Fete 55th Special Ops Squadron MH-60G Pave Hawk. Unit stuck around in Europe come less than a year later on CSAR duties at Brindisi AB for Allied Force.

00EEB4A9-331F-447F-A523-DA5B7C61FF8B.jpeg

Hot June 2015, PAris Air Show 12th CAB ..Command and Control General‘s personal hack UH-60A+. Used to be SHAPE Flight Detachment before unit disbanded month earlier for good sadly after half a century.
D20DE582-976F-47D6-A69F-6F031F7E7C66.jpeg

Heli Expo 2017 Dallas, BHi Helicopters (Brainerd Firehawk and Brown) Expeirmental H-60X (ex US Army UH-60A) which they use for testing avionics, fuel tanks and yes even weapons systems for customers.

57040C87-DB9B-4F1A-AFFD-DE6AF24ADD5E.jpeg

Dubai Air Show 2017 ..MH-6

7FC2CB64-D41E-481D-9416-7060016BB47F.jpeg
Heli Expo 2018 Vegas, LA County Fire Dept Air Operations new Sikorsky S-70i Firehawk.
E8474523-6544-4B2D-BD80-1D033D0B3984.jpeg
ILA Berlin 2018 - MH-60R

30860ACD-1582-4D22-BFE4-C3774229E02D.jpeg
Eurosatory 2018 Paris Air Show -European deployed 1st Air Cavalry Division new UH-60M.

7B232758-6391-40A3-ADD1-24733798A8DD.jpeg
RIAT 2018 - famous HH-60G Pave Hawk of all ..943rd Rescue Group mount which rescued Navy SEAL Marcus L in Afghanistan 2005 and it was made into Hollywood Movie Lone Survivor .

88919706-C618-4E7F-80A3-EA238E929818.jpeg

Dubai Air Show 2019 - UAE Joint Aviation Command new UH-60M Armed Blackhawk.

And breathe

cheers

Last edited:

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
So chap atop of work, and the once-a-day-sneak-out-for-walk/run-by-the (slowly) rising river, I have downloaded my H-60/S-70 Collection over the decades for you from likes of FArnborough, RIAT, Heli Expo, Dubai etc

View attachment 540668
‚Vipers‘ SH-60B at Farnborough Air Show 1998 (parked behind the RAH-66 Comanche second prototype)

View attachment 540669
and parked behind the ‚Vipers‘ Seahawk was 12th Combat Aviation Bde Uh-60A

View attachment 540670
Earlier that year, at Mildenhall Air Fete 55th Special Ops Squadron MH-60G Pave Hawk. Unit stuck around in Europe come less than a year later on CSAR duties at Brindisi AB for Allied Force.

View attachment 540671
Hot June 2015, PAris Air Show 12th CAB ..Command and Control General‘s personal hack UH-60A+. Used to be SHAPE Flight Detachment before unit disbanded month earlier for good sadly after half a century.
View attachment 540673

Heli Expo 2017 Dallas, BHi Helicopters (Brainerd Firehawk and Brown) Expeirmental H-60X (ex US Army UH-60A) which they use for testing avionics, fuel tanks and yes even weapons systems for customers.

View attachment 540683
Dubai Air Show 2017 ..MH-6

View attachment 540680Heli Expo 2018 Vegas, LA County Fire Dept Air Operations new Sikorsky S-70i Firehawk.
View attachment 540681ILA Berlin 2018 - MH-60R

View attachment 540684Eurosatory 2018 Paris Air Show -European deployed 1st Air Cavalry Division new UH-60M.

View attachment 540685RIAT 2018 - famous HH-60G Pave Hawk of all ..943rd Rescue Group mount which rescued Navy SEAL Marcus L in Afghanistan 2005 and it was made into Hollywood Movie Lone Survivor .

View attachment 540689
Dubai Air Show 2019 - UAE Joint Aviation Command new UH-60M Armed Blackhawk.

And breathe

cheers

a throughly excellent family of helicopters, offering unrivalled durability and reliability, and but for the political machinations of Heseltine, (who dreamed Merlin would take over the world helicopter market, rather than end up as a world class flop), would now have been entering their 3rd decade of service with the Army, RAF and Royal Navy.
Think of the untold Billions and capability gaps we’d have saved over two decades if we’d simply standardised on Blackhawk, Apache and Chinook, the undisputed class leaders in their respective classes.

well, it was designed in collaboration with Bell as their Huey replacement.

You thinking of the USAF UH-1N/TH-1H/ being replaced By the Leonardo MH-139 Grey Wolf.

USAF

All Bell UH-1N in missile support, training and VIP and the TH-1H (used by 23rd FTS) replaced with Leoanrdo MH-139 Grey Wolf.

2 decades ago ...Bell was part the 139 development hence why joint venture set up BellAgusta Aerospace Corp along with the 609 tilt rotor and products were

AB139

BA609

the Above signified which of the partners were more dominant, with the 609 Bell then would be because of their tilt rotor Development.

The 139 development came out of laughingly Italian idea to replace legacy Huey airframes albeit licensed built AB205/212/412 in both mil and civvy street in the European marketplace.

Bell pulled out of AW139 within a couple of years and by 2003 it was strictly AW139. With the 609 took couple of years more but by 2006/7 Bell was out of that venture.

Now as it happens as an example the Aeronautica Militare Italiana are replacing their legacy AB-212 with the HH-139 in the CSAR role. The HH-139 is what the Mil version of AW139M.

Their army Air Cavalry are replacing the AB205/212/412 with the Leonardo AW169M designated as UH-69. However only the first couple of examples are the traditional retractable undercarriage of the AW169, the rest of the UH-69 will be the skid version which is totally new.

TBh think the AW139M as a Lynx replacement in Our case it be difficult one. Plus there’s no naval variant in service so that would nit work.

There are couple of AW139 wearing UK mil livery training but that’s with Cobham Flight Academy (formerly FB Heliservices) up at RAF Shawbury. However they are training international customers flying the 139 on SAR such as the Spanish Coast Guard (supplied and flown by Babcock I think ??) and couple of Far East. customers.

My photos From Helitech 2009 of said AW139.

9795394F-148D-4251-A67D-6FEAB9E3C791.jpeg
6BA6ED75-009F-45EB-8236-B4ECCB0CAC7E.jpeg
7781211D-2DBE-4BA7-8670-BCD2751E3118.jpeg

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you want to post pictures of non RN helos feel free to start your own thread. This is about Carrier Strike.

Having worked with plenty of other nations assets in the world of slow boring ASW I'd take the Merlin every time. Crew capability, equipment fit and its ability to multi role even if fitted out as ASW makes it the perfect FF mail fetcher. Chuck one up a Dipper and combine it with Lynx as a Pony and you can jsut leave them to it and concentrate on other problems.

If you want to post pictures of non RN helos feel free to start your own thread. This is about Carrier Strike.

Having worked with plenty of other nations assets in the world of slow boring ASW I'd take the Merlin every time. Crew capability, equipment fit and its ability to multi role even if fitted out as ASW makes it the perfect FF mail fetcher. Chuck one up a Dipper and combine it with Lynx as a Pony and you can jsut leave them to it and concentrate on other problems.
Merlin with T23 is the best ASW package in the world.

And I would say that provides the definitive opinion on how good Merlin is.

Mattb

LE
TBh think the AW139M as a Lynx replacement in Our case it be difficult one. Plus there’s no naval variant in service so that would nit work.
Agreed, but I was thinking a navalised AW139M as opposed to what ended up as a basically new airframe anyway. Essentially a Wildcat, but with a bit of room inside.

Beg your pardon I did not mean to take away the thread, just educating Photex.

cheers

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
Meanwhile, some more titbits on the Asian deployment...

nope, we boxed ourselves into a dead end yet again with WAH-64.

we paid double for an incremental improvement over the then current US OTS version, and then couldn’t afford to keep improving it and it lapsed into obsolescence.
Its the same old same old, we fondly imagine the other blokes version won’t keep improving.

see the vast efforts and expense to get the non smokey Spey into the F-4, and by the time we got the Spey F-4 up and running, along come smokeless GE engines. And when later we bought a load of GE powered F-4’s, we found they had much better performance than our version.
Regardless of the political decisions, which helped keep RR going, you've never watched a J79 powered jet on approach have you? You can pick it up by eye feckin miles out.
see also the ‘visionary’ decision to choose the unproven WR-21 over the LM2500 for the Type 45’s - huzzah, workd beating engine! they are much more fuel efficient! and along comes the even more fuel efficient and utterly reliable LM2500R

Top tip:

if a U.K. manufacturer claims they can build a better version of someone else’s kit for half the price, run him out the door. It will almost invariably be 10 years late, twice the cost and half the performance.
How about LM UK?

Meanwhile, some more titbits on the Asian deployment...

Interesting, but calling the two carriers "the HMS" grates. I suppose an American journo can be partially forgiven, as they describe US Navy warships correctly as "the USS.....".

If only they would read what they write; "The Her Majesty's Ship" is simply poor journalism.

(And British journalists are sadly just as bad these days!)

Latest Threads