Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Was he the one who jumped up onto the table and walked down it to get the salt and pepper himself, after his request to pass it along was given a stiff ignoring on the traditional grounds of no conversation at the Mess breakfast table?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
No, a young Booty YO just out of Lympstone, on Tertiantenary London Duties in 1964 in the Guards Officers Mess dining room.

He merely reportedly made a comment, and possibly a ’traditional RM action', to the Guards officer beside him who was ignoring his polite request for the sugar to be passed at breakfast.

I feel sorry for the yanks in a way as I’m sure that most of their kit and tools will turn out to be on very long term loan to the fine upstanding sailors. One likes to think that they have had the if it’s shiny and movable the lock it down or it will walk.

I doubt it. Ask @Ravers how air engineers control their tools...

Check the tools onto the aircraft and check them all off

Ive seen a helicopter ripped apart because of a missing socket - Gearbox - Engine - Rotors off - transmission out etc

The socket was never found* It was however Proven by numerous individuals and hours of intensive searching that it was not on the aircraft.

- Par for the course that aitcraft had a audible clunk on the cyclic (iirc) when testing and from that day forth was forever noted as 'XX sockets back'

*Conclusion was someone else picked it up and walked off with it -(unintenrionally) but didnt dare admit it by the time they had realised the error and spotted a dissassembled aircraft

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Yep. WAFUs can’t be trusted not to lose or steal tools so they have to have shadow boards for everything.

They even have special overalls without pockets.

When I was on the RFAs, our small team of engineers was largely WAFU led and they hated the fact that us WEs could just have tool boxes in cupboards and make up our own kits for certain jobs.

It’s because WAFUs aren’t very clever.

Yep. WAFUs can’t be trusted not to lose or steal tools so they have to have shadow boards for everything.

When I was on the RFAs, our small team of engineers was largely WAFU led and they hated the fact that us WEs could just have tool boxes in cupboards and make up our own kits for certain jobs.

As a non WAFU but affiliated by virtue of being a Greenie/ Pinky* I will offer the contencious faux bite

On the other hand aircraft are expected to go past 30 deg of pitch and roll and indeed on occasion inverted but above all are expected to do this and go home at the end of the day.
As such when your forgotton tool whips past the drivers head he tends to feel agrieved and stamp his feet.

On the other hand you can forget most anything anywhere because in the event of it going inverted the driver doesnt care about your home made dildo whippin past his eyes since his days already about as bad as it can be

* other terms availible

Rab_C

War Hero

What about the clankies when the main gearbox is open, makes Fort Knox look like a push over.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As a non WAFU but affiliated by virtue of being a Greenie/ Pinky* I will offer the contencious faux bite

On the other hand aircraft are expected to go past 30 deg of pitch and roll and indeed on occasion inverted but above all are expected to do this and go home at the end of the day.
As such when your forgotton tool whips past the drivers head he tends to feel agrieved and stamp his feet.

On the other hand you can forget most anything anywhere because in the event of it going inverted the driver doesnt care about your home made dildo whippin past his eyes since his days already about as bad as it can be

* other terms availible

Yeah this is the excuse they always roll out.

However in 19 years of weapons engineering and armourering, both regular and reserve, I have never once left a tool inside a weapons system and I don’t know anyone who has.

Not exactly hard tidying up after yourself is it?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What about the clankies when the main gearbox is open, makes Fort Knox look like a push over.

Exactly. I’m sure an errant spanner left inside a main box could cause some damage, but you don’t see stokers running round with pocketless ovies.

I supppse the real question about the USMC embarkation is what's the over/under on the number of Anglo-American babies being born in 21/22?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
But they think they are though!!

When I joined up, we were just engineering apprentices and were streamed Marine, Weapons or Air at the end of phase 1.

You could put in a preference, but everyone just got sent where the Navy needed them.

Throughout the whole of training we were told that WAFUs were the elite and that only the top 10% of us could hope to go WAFU.

In the end they sent all the wrens to the Air Engineering branch and all the lads went ME and WE because we could serve on submarines.

No other reason.

When I joined up, we were just engineering apprentices and were streamed Marine, Weapons or Air at the end of phase 1.

You could put in a preference, but everyone just got sent where the Navy needed them.

Throughout the whole of training we were told that WAFUs were the elite and that only the top 10% of us could hope to go WAFU.

In the end they sent all the wrens to the Air Engineering branch and all the lads went ME and WE because we could serve on submarines.

No other reason.
I work with an ex-WAFU - top bloke. He joined in the late 70s and was going to whatever the Seamanship Branch was called then. Whilst at Raleigh he found out what it actually entailed and tried to transfer branches - all to no avail. All prepared to leave the RN for good, when his Divisional PO 'suggested' he accidentally get on the bus for Daedalus (?) and bluff it when he got there. He did and left as an AE chief 22 years later!! Not sure if its a true dit but it made oi larf, and if not then it should be!!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I work with an ex-WAFU - top bloke. He joined in the late 70s and was going to whatever the Seamanship Branch was called then. Whilst at Raleigh he found out what it actually entailed and tried to transfer branches - all to no avail. All prepared to leave the RN for good, when his Divisional PO 'suggested' he accidentally get on the bus for Daedalus (?) and bluff it when he got there. He did and left as an AE chief 22 years later!! Not sure if its a true dit but it made oi larf, and if not then it should be!!

Stranger things have happened.

I’ve recounted on here a few times how I ended up on RFAs....

While deployed to the Far East on a stumpy type 42, I was cross polled to our accompanying RFA for a week or two to man their guns while they transited the Malacca Straits (a piracy hot spot).

By comparison to the 48 man mess on the 42, it was pure luxury. They even had an actual bar onboard. Not just a fridge in the mess, a dedicated pub with a dartboard and spirits at 50p a shot. (Spirits are forbidden for JRs on warships).

There was even a swimming pool, well more like a paddling pool filled with seawater but it was still better than anything the 42 had.

We had a brilliant time on there and sat eating ice creams and sunbathing during RASs so everyone on the mother ship could see just how hard we were working.

Anyway, our time onboard came to an end and that was that.

As a windup I started a gash buzz (rumour) that I was being permanently drafted to RFAs. This did the rounds and after a few months, I got a call from my Divisional Officer for a chat.

“Ravers, this RFA thing...... I’ve had a look through all your docs and there isn’t anything anywhere suggesting you’re getting drafted to them.”

Just as I’m about to come clean that it’s just a windup to piss off my oppos, he continues......

“So I’ve chased it up as it looks like the paperwork must’ve got lost in the system somewhere. I’ve resubmitted it and you’re joining RFA naval support unit next month.”

And so that was that, I fucked off and joined RFA Fort Vic and Fort George for the next 2 years. I had a 6 man cabin to myself and they served fillet steak on Wednesdays. No watchkeeping and 1 in 12 duties which involved nothing more than just being present.

All because I’d started a gash rumour to wind some oppos up.

Stranger things have happened.

I’ve recounted on here a few times how I ended up on RFAs....
Quality!! Coincidentally, the guy I was just telling you about went down South in 1982 on the Fort Grange and loved his sea time with the RFA.

An article on the USMC deployment on Queen Elizabeth from the US Naval Institute on my side of the pond

USNI Article

I suspect that the USMC Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers will find an RN wardroom a nice change from the USN.

wafubustard

War Hero
There are plenty of tools in the wafu world. ;)

I couldn't possibly comment on the other things wafus are accused of.

Latest Threads