Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

In essence, yes.

One could argue that the LPH Swans offered was much more like what the RN ended up with when Ocean was refitted with all sorts of extras that weren't in the VSEL-delivered ship - and that the eventual cost of Ocean with those mods was where Swans bid. But at the time, the price differential was clear enough. That also knocked out any competition to VSEL for large ships (which is exactly what they intended), such that they ended up with the two LPD and the Wave-class. That arguably tided VSEL through the absence of submarine orders between Vengeance and Astute and ensured the survival of that facility. Which is unarguably in the national interest.

I sometimes wonder where the UK industry would have been if the Batch 4 T23 had gone to Swans. That would have ensured that yard survived into the late 90s and might have been the end for GEC Yarrow. Had Swans in its original form been extant, the carrier build might also have been quite different as Swans was the only place where you could have got close to doing them in a oner - but only with some workarounds.

Has anyone asked or answered the important question, will the USMC types be allowed (by their own people) to use the wardroom bar?

Yes if it's soft drinks. How could you ban a bloke from drinking orange juice or a coke? The buggers need some down time.
....'course we would never wink and slip them a measure of spirits in there....just make sure the boys don't get caught

lert

LE
Yes if it's soft drinks. How could you ban a bloke from drinking orange juice or a coke? The buggers need some down time.
....'course we would never wink and slip them a measure of spirits in there....just make sure the boys don't get caught
Of course not before flying though.

They're not airline pilots!

Mattb

LE
Has anyone asked or answered the important question, will the USMC types be allowed (by their own people) to use the wardroom bar?
Off-topic, but one I've occasionally wondered - where on a ship would a lance-sergeant or lance-corporal of horse be accomodated and fed?

Off-topic, but one I've occasionally wondered - where on a ship would a lance-sergeant or lance-corporal of horse be accomodated and fed?

I put our IG Lance Sgt visitor in the Petty Officer’s Mess for his 10 day stay. And their Subaltern had a grand old time making up even more orders of dress to match our Red Sea Rig.

QRK2

LE

I don't know but a (then) Lance Sergeant TA friend of mine did get ejected from the Wardroom? at Greenwich a year or two before it closed. They didn't seem to care that he had previously been an RN officer, still it would have been more subtle if he hadn't worn his stripes to breakfast.

I don't know but a (then) Lance Sergeant TA friend of mine did get ejected from the Wardroom? at Greenwich a year or two before it closed. They didn't seem to care that he had previously been an RN officer, still it would have been more subtle if he hadn't worn his stripes to breakfast.
Was he the one who jumped up onto the table and walked down it to get the salt and pepper himself, after his request to pass it along was given a stiff ignoring on the traditional grounds of no conversation at the Mess breakfast table?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Significant enough to be posted in both relevant threads.

QNLZ Tweet 15 F35Bs 24 Sep 2020.jpg

01A34378-7FB5-4120-84CB-8FF107573212.jpeg

Was he the one who jumped up onto the table and walked down it to get the salt and pepper himself, after his request to pass it along was given a stiff ignoring on the traditional grounds of no conversation at the Mess breakfast table?
No, a young Booty YO just out of Lympstone, on Tertiantenary London Duties in 1964 in the Guards Officers Mess dining room.

He merely reportedly made a comment and possibly an action to the Guards officer beside him who was ignoring his request for the sugar to be passed at breakfast.

I feel sorry for the yanks in a way as I’m sure that most of their kit and tools will turn out to be on very long term loan to the fine upstanding sailors. One likes to think that they have had the if it’s shiny and movable the lock it down or it will walk.

Latest Threads