CVF and Carrier Strike thread

riksavage

Old-Salt
interesting people complain about F35B range, it has longer legs than the current aircraft plane of choice the Super Hornet. F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fleet has a range of just over 500 miles compared to 1035 miles for an F35B

Mattb

LE
I wonder, is there a case for permanently basing a squadron of optionally manned bombers at Akrotiri?
With a LO design, long range and a decent payload that would give huge coverage over the entire MENA region and essentially free up the carriers to focus on the Atlantic and Indian/SE Pacific theatre...
Probably not, as it would only take the airframes a few hours to get there. Making sure that it's ready to operate such a unit would be a good idea though.

Also very fashionable in a MoD cirlces - an airbase fitted for, not with, aircraft.

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
Seriously, how f**king stupid are you people? Sails? Oars? This is what you get when f**king crabs and pongos discuss naval matters. Everyone knows the future is harnessing blue whales.

Cruise mode with blue whales, sprint with fully integrated dolphin array...

Probably not, as it would only take the airframes a few hours to get there. Making sure that it's ready to operate such a unit would be a good idea though.

Also very fashionable in a MoD cirlces - an airbase fitted for, not with, aircraft.
Very, very good point I hadn’t thought of. Especially as the base is in the range of low tech Middle Eastern ballistic missiles.
Do people generally think the RAF needs some heavy combat aircraft though?

Mattb

LE
Very, very good point I hadn’t thought of. Especially as the base is in the range of low tech Middle Eastern ballistic missiles.
Do people generally think the RAF needs some heavy combat aircraft though?
Need? No.
Nice to have? Sure.

But it all comes down to the "what else would you cut?" question.

Last edited:
Need? No.
Nice to hqve? Sure.

But it all comes down to the "what else would you cut?" question.
That's not how fantasy fleets work!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Are the RAF now considering scrapping the rest of the F-35 B buy and plumping for more As to Save money? Looks like someone in the Navy has been heavily briefing against their Light Blue counterparts!

A row has broken out over the F-35s as the Royal Air Force has been accused of wasting money on “outdated” warplanes that cannot take off from the new £3bn aircraft carriers.

Ahead of the highly anticipated Integrated Defence and Security review, sources have told The Telegraph they are concerned about the RAF’s priorities regarding the procurement of F-35s, at a time when the Ministry of Defence’s budget will be coming under scrutiny.

The row centres over two versions of the planes - the F-35A and F-35B - the former being unable to operate from the UK's two 65,000 tonne Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers.

There are concerns the RAF may present the ‘A’ as more cost effective to purchase as they look to save money ahead of the review, which sources have deemed “shortsighted”.

One defence industry source told this newspaper that it was therefore “nonsensical” to hear that the “RAF are ramping up their push for the F-35A”.

“Why do they think they need F-35As when they cannot operate them from an aircraft carrier?”

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Are the RAF now considering scrapping the rest of the F-35 B buy and plumping for more As to Save money? Looks like someone in the Navy has been heavily briefing against their Light Blue counterparts!

Crabs wasting money ?
Nonsense !

They'll be accusing the Rock Apes of not being SF next.

It's RN/Phoenix think tank politicking, until the defence review is over no point getting excited.

The questions worth asking are:
  • What combat mass do we want for our aircraft fleet and what's the best way to deliver that?
  • What would we be willing to sacrifice in order to get Tempest up and running?
Good article from last year:

138 UK F-35 Lightnings, do we still need them? – A personal view

I cant read the article but I suspect the outdated aircraft is the Typhoon and it either follows the usual Lewis Page Cold war interceptor RAF desperately throwing money at to justify and prop up BAE by hanging bombs on it - shit because its not stealth** bollocks that the media considers informed opinion and anyone whose experience of aviation extends beyond flying Ryan air knows to be absolute pump. Or is the latest round in the cut them not us phase of a defence review

**Unlike the F35 which is shit because its stealth and that can be defeated

I cant read the article but I suspect the outdated aircraft is the Typhoon and it either follows the usual Lewis Page Cold war interceptor RAF desperately throwing money at to justify and prop up BAE by hanging bombs on it - shit because its not stealth** bollocks that the media considers informed opinion and anyone whose experience of aviation extends beyond flying Ryan air knows to be absolute pump. Or is the latest round in the cut them not us phase of a defence review

The “outdated aircraft” is the F-35A!

From the article:
“If you are going to buy F35s you buy them to operate on aircraft carriers. What is the point in buying an outdated aircraft that you can’t send anywhere around the world?”

Last edited:

It is indeed a shit article. We'll be bombarded with these over the next 18 months or so.

Latest Threads