CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Shit like this just has me shaking my head. It's straight out of the 'never satisfied'/'some people are permanently offended' book.

In terms of gender and empowerment, you're hardly likely to exceed an aircraft carrier. The militant types should be falling over themselves to have the ship referred to as a 'she'.
Tut tut tut! That's very transphobic! No one has asked the ship which gender it wishes to be identified as. To be completely accurate we should be referring to HMS Mx Queen Elizabeth.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Tut tut tut! That's very transphobic! No one has asked the ship which gender it wishes to be identified as. To be completely accurate we should be referring to HMS Mx Queen Elizabeth.
The really shit bit is that there are people in the world who'd agree with your post and not see the Mickey-taking for what it is.

Wait until they start calling the HMS Prince of Wales a she.
Waiting patiently for "the" inevitable bites.

The really shit bit is that there are people in the world who'd agree with your post and not see the Mickey-taking for what it is.
How very dare you!!! I was triggered by your lack of realisation that there are more than just 2 genders! Humpff!!

Is she vegan?

Isn't that normal? When commissioning a brand new complicated platform? Across the world? The list of initial hitches in any country runs long. Non-story, really.

Would you park your car outside your house for 2 months over winter and look all surprised when you turn the key and its didn't start?

Yokel

LE
It is odd how people like to argue about little points. It is hugely significant that once again we have a carrier at sea, this time in UK waters, with both jets and helicopters embarked and doing their stuff, developing skills for aircrew, maintainers, and ship's company.....

Not that many years ago having jets on the deck of an RN carrier was not newsworthy - it was routine. Both QE and POW will be busy this year, and beyond....

Last edited:
Ditto the rotary wing element. Pretty much an SOP for any country which operates carriers - the Air Wing (or equivalent) flies off before the vessel berths.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sure i know, i just want to see it full of raf / Faa badges lightenings all bristling with missiles and bombs with an 80's rock power ballad playing in the background

Yokel

LE
Not entirely sure about that. Believe 207 are operating from Marham rather than embarking. Happy to be told otherwise.
At this point does it matter? As long as they are landing and taking off - does it matter if they go below to the hangar or of they stay ashore between sorties?

Happiness is jets on deck.

Sure i know, i just want to see it full of raf / Faa badges lightenings all bristling with missiles and bombs with an 80's rock power ballad playing in the background
Try not to forget the Merlin HM2s for task group ASW. She will be taking part in a major NATO exercise later this year.

At this point does it matter? As long as they are landing and taking off - does it matter if they go below to the hangar or of they stay ashore between sorties?
Yes it does, pilots and ground crew are not being familiarised with on board living, routines and hardships. Simply tourists to a floating airstrip.

Yes it does, pilots and ground crew are not being familiarised with on board living, routines and hardships. Simply tourists to a floating airstrip.
I have to travel to Cz Republic tomorrow, first night spent at a railway station then a couple of nights in a pension then return home - I'll be knackered at the end of it.

The people doing the flying are a tad younger than me but, it ain't no fun being away from home - it is absolutely part of the orientation process and landing and taking off is needed, but, they need to experience the 'jolly' of travel without comforts and furthermore, the ships crew need to feel the pressure of more mouths to feed, launder for, salute, listen to, tell to.

I suppose that things will step up and life will become more difficult for all on board until they settle into routines.

Good luck people.

If the aircraft is landing on, and approaching shutting down, there will be ground crew and engineers onboard. The Pilots will probably spend an hour or two onboard at most. I could be entirely wrong though.

Of course, this is not the squadron "embarking" because "squadron" is actually a synecdoche for "fabulous fast jet pilot"....

If the aircraft is landing on, and approaching shutting down, there will be ground crew and engineers onboard. The Pilots will probably spend an hour or two onboard at most. I could be entirely wrong though.

Of course, this is not the squadron "embarking" because "squadron" is actually a synecdoche for "fabulous fast jet pilot"....
WTF??? In 26 years. Where did you get that from?

A synecdoche (/sɪˈnɛkdəki/, sih-NEK-də-kee;[1] from Greek συνεκδοχή, synekdochē, lit. "simultaneous understanding")[2] is a figure of speech in which a term for a part of something refers to the whole of something or vice versa.[3][4][5][6] A synecdoche is a class of metonymy, often by means of either mentioning a part for the whole or conversely the whole for one of its parts. Examples from common English expressions include "suits" (for "businessmen"), "boots" (for "soldiers") (pars pro toto), and "America" (for "the United States of America", totum pro parte).[7]

The use of government buildings to refer to their occupants is metonymy and sometimes also synecdoche. "The Pentagon" for the United States Department of Defense can be considered synecdoche, as the building can be considered part of the department. Likewise, using "Number 10" to mean "the Office of the Prime Minister" (of the United Kingdom) is a synecdoche.

Everyday a school a day.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
synecdoche
Oooooh! Look at 'im and 'is fancy Staff College heducation! Using all them big fancy words now, 'e is! Thinks 'e's too good for the rest of us ordinary folk!

:)

<and bloody @Riga beat me to it with the proper definition as well, damn it...>

Sorry to burst your bubble but with the current generation it's more likely that they'll be playing Gucci Gang, doing fortnight dances post take off and painting Pickle Rick nose art on the aircraft.

Latest Threads