CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Well to my slightly autistic mind this appears to be a non-problem in that buying enough jets makes it go away, and notes that in the grand scheme of government expenditure and waste the actual amount of cash is more or less an accounting error... The bit of me that is capable of empathy realises the issues with taking cash from photo-generic special interest groups that have "suffered" from "austerity" could be politically embarrasing... However while we have virtue signaling circle w*nks like HS2 on the books I'm not inclined to lend much weight to the "difficulties" of these political decisions...
Why are you autistic?
Why can you not understand zero carbon emissions and lack of capacity on WCML mean we need to build another railway?

BRNC Cadets join HMS Queen Elizabeth | Royal Navy

The fact the RN had had problems finding platforms for BRNC cadets to get their initial sea time in recent years, particularly after Illustrious was decommissioned in 2014, and we lost a CVS and went down to only one LPD being manned as a result of SDSR 10, makes this noteworthy.

On an aviation note: HMS Queen Elizabeth is due to sail later this month with the Cadets on board to continue her sea trials.

I wonder - training to prepare tor WESTLANT19 and having multiple jets on deck, or maybe a quick ASW exercise with lots of Merlin HM2?

BRNC Cadets join HMS Queen Elizabeth | Royal Navy

The fact the RN had had problems finding platforms for BRNC cadets to get their initial sea time in recent years, particularly after Illustrious was decommissioned in 2014, and we lost a CVS and went down to only one LPD being manned as a result of SDSR 10, makes this noteworthy.

On an aviation note: HMS Queen Elizabeth is due to sail later this month with the Cadets on board to continue her sea trials.

I wonder - training to prepare tor WESTLANT19 and having multiple jets on deck, or maybe a quick ASW exercise with lots of Merlin HM2?
Do carriers do any ASW with embarked helicopters then?

Why are you autistic?
Why can you not understand zero carbon emissions and lack of capacity on WCML mean we need to build another railway?
1) Medical Science has yet to provide an answer..
2)There is no such thing as zero emissions.. wind and Solar require building, the excavation of critical minerals sea transport to deliver materials to point of assembly, massive construction effort to build and to connect to grid, over investment due to low capacity factors, and carbon fuel back-up when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine..
3)I've read the Gov's case and it doesn't convince.. net effect of HS2 is widening the commuting area into London and doing little to ease local congestion on northern commuter routes. The cost estimate is an imaginary number that will be about half to a third of final price. Transport expenditure can and should be used to solve other problems in Northern transport infra-structure.

Last edited:
Today is the anniversary of victory in the Falklands. Apart from its importance to the UK, the 1982 conflict showed the value of carriers and V/STOL aircraft - I wonder if this is why people like Italy opted for them? It also showed the West is not as weak willed as some would want. Or at least we were.

As for ASW: I wonder if the Spanish LHD is carrying any ASW cabs for BALTOPS, or is she concentrating on Harriers and troops? Our French neighbours seem to lack some ASW, at least from FS Charles de Gaulle:

PICTURES: Rafale M in marathon carrier deployment

Today is the anniversary of victory in the Falklands. Apart from its importance to the UK, the 1982 conflict showed the value of carriers and V/STOL aircraft - I wonder if this is why people like Italy opted for them? It also showed the West is not as weak willed as some would want. Or at least we were.

As for ASW: I wonder if the Spanish LHD is carrying any ASW cabs for BALTOPS, or is she concentrating on Harriers and troops? Our French neighbours seem to lack some ASW, at least from FS Charles de Gaulle:

PICTURES: Rafale M in marathon carrier deployment
And, other than the England womens footy team beating the Argi womens footy team 1 - 0, the anniversary went by unnoticed (particularly by the MSM), except for @Yokel 's post on ARRSE :( .

Answering my own question about the Spanish Navy and BALTOPS:

Four vessels of the Spanish Navy reach Baltic waters (and with the Russian fleet watching)

It is the 47th edition of these exercises, initiated during the Cold War. This year there are ships, aircraft and personnel from Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, the United States, Estonia, Finland, France, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, the United Kingdom, Romania, Sweden and Turkey. This year the Spanish Navy brings three ships to the exercise: the LHD “Juan Carlos I” L-61, with 7 fighters EAV-8B+ Harrier II, 3 SH-3D Sea King helicopters, 4 landing craft LCM-1E, 38 vehicles, 300 crew, 306 Marines, 30 members of the Naval Beach Group and 105 members to the air wing on board; and the frigates “Cristóbal Colón” F-105 and “Almirante Juan de Borbón” F-102. The latter was already deployed since the end of March with the NATO Permanent Maritime Group SNMG-1 in northern Europe.

I assume the Sea Kings are AEW ones, so cannot do ASW or amphibious lift. Maybe other helicopters can land on her deck, pick some marines up, and launch...

Published by: Royal Navy on Facebook, on 17 June 2019.

Hms Queen Elizabeth sailing out of Portsmouth for more helicopter flight trials.