CVF and Carrier Strike thread

If the ship has to be at location X by time Y, doing a big 180 and heading the opposite way to recover cabs may not be the best solution. Same applies if having to operate in a sea area "box".

Not a standard recovery, but all part of defining the operating envelope for the cab.

If the ship has to be at location X by time Y, doing a big 180 and heading the opposite way to recover cabs may not be the best solution. Same applies if having to operate in a sea area "box".

Not a standard recovery, but all part of defining the operating envelope for the cab.
No! Next you will be saying that STOVL has advantages over CTOL and the reason we planned for it was because of analysis, or that a 65 000 tonne carrier is more flexible than a 20 000 tonne one.

After all, nobody has ever done a non standard recovery in wartime or an emergency...

Madness!

I for one will look forward to Chris Terrill's programme (on TV sometime next year) about the WESTLANT 18 deployment, and the flying trials. I would also be interested to see any coverage of all the efforts post SDSR 10 to keep carrier related skills alive.

I would also like to see a programme which acknowledges that the helicopters are not just there for moving stuff around, which the last programme about Queen Elizabeth implied. The Merlin HM2 has a radar, dipping sonar, torpedoes and so on for a reason.....

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Another milestone landing on HMS Queen Elizabeth | Royal Navy

RAF test pilot Squadron Leader Andy Edgell flew his specially-adapted stealth fighter facing the stern, not bow, before bringing the jet to a hover, slipping it over the huge flight deck and gently setting it down.

The ‘back-to-front’ manoeuvre, described as “like driving the wrong way down a one-way street” is intended to give pilots and the flight deck team more options to safely land the state-of-the-art stealth fighter in an emergency.

Not sure why you would want to do that. Problem with the ship maneuvering perhaps? There are a few anecdotes from Sea Harrier/Harrier GR 7/9 drivers about things going wrong at the last moment, and approaching over the bow.
Depends if the aft flight deck is either damaged or occupied by damaged aircraft, you need to recover further for'ard on the deck

I for one will look forward to Chris Terrill's programme (on TV sometime next year) about the WESTLANT 18 deployment, and the flying trials. I would also be interested to see any coverage of all the efforts post SDSR 10 to keep carrier related skills alive.
Presumably the TV crew left during the visit to New York as just about all the firsts had taken place by then?

Presumably the TV crew left during the visit to New York as just about all the firsts had taken place by then?
No - a lot of the F-35B trials were after New York. We will have to wait and see what the programme covers - will the ASW Merlins get properly credited as essential parts of task group capability? What about the embarked Junglies who seem to be doing SAR as well as Joint Personnel Recovery with the embarked Bootnecks?

I expect it will cover all sorts of thing HMS Queen Elizabeth did, along with HMS Monmouth and RFA Tidespring. Fire and damage control exercises, gunnery serials, rotary wing flying, RASing, getting the jets onboard.....

However, it will not be like Top Gun, well not much....

Last edited:
Talking of helicopters:

Pingers:

I wonder when Queen Elizabeth will do her first Exercise Deep Blue?

Exercise Deep Blue | Royal Navy

24/7 dipping means nine or so helicopters, which means a carrier. I have a slight issue with the way that article was written, as it seems to overlook that task group ASW is for the whole task group. When we start doing deployments with a carrier and a LPD together it will be more obvious.

Junglies with Bootnecks:

Junglies doing SAR:

F-35 jets leave HMS Queen Elizabeth after ‘eclipsing aspirations’ | Royal Navy

The success of the Westlant 18 deployment – which has also included a very high-profile visit to New York – allows the Portsmouth-based ship to move on to operational trials next year with British-owned F-35s flown by Naval and Air Force aviators based at RAF Marham.

A significant step!

Captain Nick Cooke Priest, HMS Queen Elizabeth’s new Commanding Officer who was in command for the second phase of this current set of F-35 trials said this autumn’s trials had marked “a significant milestone on the Royal Navy’s journey back to big deck carrier operations.

“The schedule has been busy and challenging and the results have eclipsed the aspiration; this success is largely due to the exceptional relationship that exists between the ship and her embarked staff, and the scientists, engineers and pilots of the F-35 Integrated Test Force, all of whom have shown exceptional professionalism, dedication and drive.”

He continued: “This deployment has however delivered far more than the initial integration of fixed wing aircraft with the ship.

“It has re-introduced the true value that carrier capabilities bring to the UK and her allies, it has deepened our relationship with our closest ally, demonstrated our nation’s engineering prowess and cemented our commitment to the future as a global navy.”

The carrier is now spending time in Norfolk, Virginia, offloading the ITF team and their equipment before heading back to Portsmouth in time for Christmas.

She will come home, said Carrier Strike Group Commander Commodore Michael Utley, with a real buzz on board.

“This is positive time to be a Royal Navy sailor, a positive time to be Royal Navy aircrew and a positive time for the UK-US partnership in providing a greater depth of security across the globe.”

Talking of helicopters:

Pingers:

I wonder when Queen Elizabeth will do her first Exercise Deep Blue?

Junglies and wildcat doing JPR.

Exercise Deep Blue | Royal Navy

24/7 dipping means nine or so helicopters, which means a carrier. I have a slight issue with the way that article was written, as it seems to overlook that task group ASW is for the whole task group. When we start doing deployments with a carrier and a LPD together it will be more obvious.

Junglies with Bootnecks:

Junglies doing SAR:

F-35 jets leave HMS Queen Elizabeth after ‘eclipsing aspirations’ | Royal Navy

The success of the Westlant 18 deployment – which has also included a very high-profile visit to New York – allows the Portsmouth-based ship to move on to operational trials next year with British-owned F-35s flown by Naval and Air Force aviators based at RAF Marham.

A significant step!

Captain Nick Cooke Priest, HMS Queen Elizabeth’s new Commanding Officer who was in command for the second phase of this current set of F-35 trials said this autumn’s trials had marked “a significant milestone on the Royal Navy’s journey back to big deck carrier operations.

“The schedule has been busy and challenging and the results have eclipsed the aspiration; this success is largely due to the exceptional relationship that exists between the ship and her embarked staff, and the scientists, engineers and pilots of the F-35 Integrated Test Force, all of whom have shown exceptional professionalism, dedication and drive.”

He continued: “This deployment has however delivered far more than the initial integration of fixed wing aircraft with the ship.

“It has re-introduced the true value that carrier capabilities bring to the UK and her allies, it has deepened our relationship with our closest ally, demonstrated our nation’s engineering prowess and cemented our commitment to the future as a global navy.”

The carrier is now spending time in Norfolk, Virginia, offloading the ITF team and their equipment before heading back to Portsmouth in time for Christmas.

She will come home, said Carrier Strike Group Commander Commodore Michael Utley, with a real buzz on board.

“This is positive time to be a Royal Navy sailor, a positive time to be Royal Navy aircrew and a positive time for the UK-US partnership in providing a greater depth of security across the globe.”

Looking to future carrier based task group operations:

F-35 Lightning milestone for HMS Dragon is exciting for future UK operations

The Portsmouth-based Type 45 destroyer is working with the stealth fighter aircraft currently flying from the USS Essex.

Her commanding officer described the ship’s landmark involvement with the F-35s as ‘exciting’ for the future of UK carrier strike group operations.

Currently in the Gulf, Dragon welcomed the jets as part of her time working for the US Commander Task Force (CTF) 51/5 – providing air defence to USS Essex.

Operating with the F-35s will be standard procedure for the Type 45s in the future so working with the task force was a chance for crew to get an understanding of tactics, techniques and procedures for working with the jets.

This knowledge will then be used for future Carrier Strike Group operations, making CTF 51/5 and Dragon’s involvement as an air defence destroyer invaluable.

Going back a few pages, it seems like somebody reads this thread - maybe!

US and French assets have occasionally conducted TLAM/MdCN strikes against targets in Syria. However, I’d say their main contribution is in monitoring Russian activity and assisting in broader C2 and ISR in the Eastern Med.

Regards,
MM
HMS Diamond returns home from the Mediterranean

Her deployment was part of the ongoing counter-ISIS NATO operations where she used her state-of-the-art technology to gather intelligence on the air battlespace, sharing this with the RAF and international allies in the region.

She is one of just several Royal Navy warships to operate in the Eastern Med last year.

Last edited:
Last edited:
After his son, more likely, who rejoices in the nickname 'Mental'.
With apologies for the slight thread diversion - I regret to have to note that it's been reported on Pprune (and via various PM's I've received) that Kris 'Mental' Ward has passed away at an unconscionably early age. I had the great pleasure of working with him for a bit, exchanging good-natured banter about his Dad's views on WAFUs being little short of Gods (while crabs were... well, sideways scuttling devils of low repute). He was a good bloke, who'll be missed.

As I say, forgive the thread diversion, but I thought that as his name had been taken in vain (by me) earlier in this thread, his departure [if there is something beyond this mortal coil] to eternal VFR in blue skies deserved a brief note.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With apologies for the slight thread diversion - I regret to have to note that it's been reported on Pprune (and via various PM's I've received) that Kris 'Mental' Ward has passed away at an unconscionably early age. I had the great pleasure of working with him for a bit, exchanging good-natured banter about his Dad's views on WAFUs being little short of Gods (while crabs were... well, sideways scuttling devils of low repute). He was a good bloke, who'll be missed.

As I say, forgive the thread diversion, but I thought that as his name had been taken in vain (by me) earlier in this thread, his departure [if there is something beyond this mortal coil] to eternal VFR in blue skies deserved a brief note.
Jeez he was only in his mid 40s, that's no age.

Tragic news. I had only brief interaction with the then Lt Ward and was later present for his famous question to David Cameron in the entrance to PJHQ during his SDSR10 speech; he always seemed a decent type who enjoyed an excellent professional reputation.

My thoughts and prayers with the Ward family.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Latest Threads