CVF and Carrier Strike thread

One of the interesting bits of info in the article relates to the differences between the Chinooks operated by each unit. A U.S. pilot remarked:

"I'm blown away by how light their aircraft are. We are used to flying a heavier aircraft and their tactics are revolved around flying a lighter aircraft. They come in a lot faster than we do.
That's probably because the poor bugger didn't know that the Brit copters were fitted for but not with so was missing stuff.

Trying just for a second to bring this back onto the topic of carriers:

Elsewhere (the PPRuNe Future Carrier thread) it was suggested that perhaps a couple of Chinooks could be embarked aboard carriers on deployment for a sort of Carrier Onboard Delivery role. Whilst Merlin (Pinger and Jungly) can do HDS and VERTREP, the Chinook can carry larger loads a greater distance. Not sure JHC or LAND would allow that.

Trying just for a second to bring this back onto the topic of carriers:

Elsewhere (the PPRuNe Future Carrier thread) it was suggested that perhaps a couple of Chinooks could be embarked aboard carriers on deployment for a sort of Carrier Onboard Delivery role. Whilst Merlin (Pinger and Jungly) can do HDS and VERTREP, the Chinook can carry larger loads a greater distance. Not sure JHC or LAND would allow that.
Are these - any - Chinooks “navalised/marinised”, to withstand the corrosive rigours of salt/sea air ?!

Last edited:
Not sure how Chinook can be properly navalised/marinised without redesigning the rotor heads - fortunately QEC is large enough to get them on the lift and down into the deck.

In other news: Atlantic Future Forum | Royal Navy

All good stuff - the critics seem to think exercise planners and others have never thought about satellite denial, GPS jamming, cyber attacks and so on. However the last paragraph attracted my attention:

At the end of the Forum, which will be attended by International Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox and First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Philip Jones, the Accord will be signed by both Government and industry experts, providing a future framework for cooperation between UK and US industry and military on cyber and artificial intelligence.

Dr 'I know best' Fox? Hmmmm....

...Not sure JHC or LAND would allow that.
The RN could always pay for a couple of extra cabs to assure availability.

Are these - any - Chinooks “navalised/marinised”, to withstand the corrosive rigours of salt/sea air ?!
I think some measures have been taken and our Chinooks have embarked on CVS and Ocean routinely in the past. As @Yokel states, the advantage the QEs were specifically designed to offer is that they can now be hangared out of the elements.

Not sure how Chinook can be properly navalised/marinised without redesigning the rotor heads...
It’s been done but I don’t think there are any plans for us to follow suit.

However, we could save money by binning Albion and Bulwark and just using Chinooks as LPDs! ;)

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Here is a reminder that a carrier is an Anti Submarine Warfare platform - and serious task group ASW needs multiple ASW helicopters which means you need a carrier:

Sub-hunting Merlin to develop tactics with American Navy | Royal Navy

The aircrew, normally based at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall, will be honing their Anti-Submarine Warfare skills and polishing their tactics for Carrier Strike Task Group operations.

I believe ASW will also be part of Trident Juncture: Royal Navy ships taking part in huge NATO exercise | Royal Navy

Will the USS Iwo Jima have any F-35B or AV-8B embarked?

Here is a reminder that a carrier is an Anti Submarine Warfare platform - and serious task group ASW needs multiple ASW helicopters which means you need a carrier:

Sub-hunting Merlin to develop tactics with American Navy | Royal Navy

The aircrew, normally based at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall, will be honing their Anti-Submarine Warfare skills and polishing their tactics for Carrier Strike Task Group operations.

I believe ASW will also be part of Trident Juncture: Royal Navy ships taking part in huge NATO exercise | Royal Navy

Will the USS Iwo Jima have any F-35B or AV-8B embarked?
Oh!! . . . If not this particular Exercise, when the opportunity does eventually arise, it would be nice - if somewhat poignant, ironic - to see AV-8Bs Harriers, parked-up aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth.

14C9EE57-3056-44BB-AD3D-18DF2979BD09.jpeg
F746180C-B17A-4D60-B54D-C7D5C9DFFEBF.jpeg
5EB2DAC2-ED93-4831-9A13-E39A5B774217.jpeg
AD61D7C7-8992-4722-A595-53AD9E69C258.jpeg
B0B80BE1-DA75-4DD6-9C82-78A7A646DC14.jpeg
B0B80BE1-DA75-4DD6-9C82-78A7A646DC14.jpeg
AD61D7C7-8992-4722-A595-53AD9E69C258.jpeg
5EB2DAC2-ED93-4831-9A13-E39A5B774217.jpeg
F746180C-B17A-4D60-B54D-C7D5C9DFFEBF.jpeg
14C9EE57-3056-44BB-AD3D-18DF2979BD09.jpeg

I see NYC has so far managed to put up with Jack (and Jill) better than Tampa or wherever. No surprise really but I was expecting at least one to make the police blotter for hanging traffic cones on Lady Liberty or something.

Progress!

F-35B completes first round of testing aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth

The test team—comprising nearly 175 ITF members aboard the ship—completed several needed parameters during DT-1, including day and night short-takeoffs and vertical landings with minimal deck motion, in varying wind conditions and with and without internal stores.

“I’m very proud of the test accomplishments by the combined team of the 1,500 personnel comprised of the ITF, the carrier strike group and the crew of HMS Queen Elizabeth with her embarked 820 and 845 squadrons,” said Andrew Maack, the F-35 Pax River ITF’s chief test engineer.

“It was impressive to see the excellent teamwork at all levels of the organizations.”

Beyond the completed DT-1 test requirements—which were performed within the same flight envelope as will be used in the first operational test phase—the ITF also conducted about half of the testing that falls under the DT-2 threshold, or the flight envelope needed to reach initial operational capability (maritime).

The ITF returns to the ship in late October for DT-2, which will concentrate on external stores testing, minimum performance short-takeoffs and SRVLs, and night operations.

On Sky News yesterday there was a brief interview with Liam Fox who was on board HMSQE for some reason I failed to register I'm sorry to say. Once the talking-head bit had finished the reporter summed up what had been said and concluded that there was something symptomatic about being Fox being on board "an aircraft-carrier famous for having no planes", cut to shot of empty flight-deck.

Once again only the laces on my boots saved me from the purchase of a new TV, and for once I wished QE was fitted with a Catapult, so that this this effing Tool could have been fired off it into the Hudson river at 100mph.

On Sky News yesterday there was a brief interview with Liam Fox who was on board HMSQE for some reason I failed to register I'm sorry to say. Once the talking-head bit had finished the reporter summed up what had been said and concluded that there was something symptomatic about being Fox being on board "an aircraft-carrier famous for having no planes", cut to shot of empty flight-deck.

Once again only the laces on my boots saved me from the purchase of a new TV, and for once I wished QE was fitted with a Catapult, so that this this effing Tool could have been fired off it into the Hudson river at 100mph.
WTF is it with our so-called "journalists" & their incessant "the UK is useless" crap?
They do anything they can to denigrate achievements, be they military, trade, science...

Buncha throbbers.

I am genuinely surprised they didnt keep one or two F35s for that exact reaso

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I am genuinely surprised they didnt keep one or two F35s for that exact reason...
They're not our F-35s to keep and we'll have been paying I suspect not-inconsequential amounts of moolah for their use during the trials. Keeping a couple for deck decoration during a port visit is not really justified.

Regards,
MM

They're not our F-35s to keep and we'll have been paying I suspect not-inconsequential amounts of moolah for their use during the trials. Keeping a couple for deck decoration during a port visit is not really justified.

Regards,
MM
But...but....you know can't they throw in a few freebies after all the money spent? Just even as static displays?

Latest Threads