CVF and Carrier Strike thread

RAS.

The pics of QE taking suck showed the tanker to port of QE. Back in the day the tanker would be to starboard with the carrier keeping station on the tanker - the tankers being merchant ships had more difficulty fine tuning their revs than a warship.

What's changed ? Genuine qn.
1. The phots were taken in the afternoon, in the morning she was on our starbord side- we did 2 ras' in the same day to test both ras points.

2. We're the bigger ship, so we'd struggle more than they will when trying to keep pace and track.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Disappointing that we’re introducing yet another capability gap. This rather suggests the Merlin ASaC5 has been delayed which may explain the deafening silence regarding trials and installation fits.

Let’s hope the gap is not too big.

Regards,
MM
Unfortunately one man's capability gap is another man's useful cost saving.

Disappointing that we’re introducing yet another capability gap. This rather suggests the Merlin ASaC5 has been delayed which may explain the deafening silence regarding trials and installation fits.

Let’s hope the gap is not too big.

Regards,
MM
I suppose it could be argued that that since Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales are not going anywhere operational immediately, we do not need it yet. However for the last few years the ASaCs Sea Kings have been busy without a carrier (as such):

Royal Navy helicopters key to £105m drugs bust in Indian Ocean

That was at the start of this year.

As you say, how do you keep the Observers SQEP with AEW/C2 things?

...how do you keep the Observers SQEP with AEW/C2 things?
Sims, detachments to RAF CRCs or the RN Freddie School, or use of synthetic training.

Hopefully, there’s a Merlin ASaC5 sim which is already in use.

Regards,
MM

Sims, detachments to RAF CRCs or the RN Freddie School, or use of synthetic training.

Regards,
MM
Put them in a hole in the ground, give them a 5W light and a "Join the dots" book, and deprive them of any interaction with normal human beings.

Voila - a trained fighter controller!!!!!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I suppose it could be argued that that since Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales are not going anywhere operational immediately, we do not need it yet. However for the last few years the ASaCs Sea Kings have been busy without a carrier (as such):

Royal Navy helicopters key to £105m drugs bust in Indian Ocean

That was at the start of this year.

As you say, how do you keep the Observers SQEP with AEW/C2 things?

First Crowsnest delivery is last quarter 2018

Regards,
MM
That actually raises a good question - what is the best way keep the skills up for shipborne AEW/C2/ stuff?

D School?
RAF CRCs?
RAF AWACS force?
Merlin ASW squadrons?
In a ship's Operations Room acting as Fighter Controllers?

Can they stay SQEP with the air defence type skills as well as aviation ones?

How much of an advance will Crowsnest be over the ASaCS Sea King?

First Crowsnest delivery is last quarter 2018
Have you got a source for that?

I saw that on the documentary in 2011 - the fact that SDSR 10 was not a terminal blow for RN carrier aviation speaks volumes about how rugged and innovative the Navy, and the people in it, can be.

SQEP!

Last Harrier landing in 2011? Eh?

Flag Foxtrot coming soon!

Don't pre-suppose that they need to conduct CAP. The Air Defence Comd may well have another solution; using F35 for CAP could be a very poor use of resource.
Exactly but they are part of a layered air defence to protect the carriers and the RN don’t have (and won’t have) another fixed wing capable of operating from the carriers

Exactly but they are part of a layered air defence to protect the carriers and the RN don’t have (and won’t have) another fixed wing capable of operating from the carriers
Same as the French and I’m not quite sure of the significance of only having a single fixed wing type embarked.

However, it’s common for organic carrier assets to be managed by the CAOC. In a lot of ops I’ve been nvolved in there have been no dedicated DCA CAP (or for that matter AWACS and other supporting assets such as AAR) whatsoever for US, UK and French carriers.

Rather, that’s been achieved via ‘area coord’ of land and carrier based assets.

Regards,
MM

I saw that on the documentary in 2011 - the fact that SDSR 10 was not a terminal blow for RN carrier aviation speaks volumes about how rugged and innovative the Navy, and the people in it, can be.

SQEP!

Meanwhile, assuming the first deck landing is by a RN pilot, I’m looking forward to collecting my bet from @Joe_Private! :)

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/cvf-and-carrier-strike-thread.178170/page-386#post-8086195

Regards,
MM

That actually raises a good question - what is the best way keep the skills up for shipborne AEW/C2/ stuff?

D School?
RAF CRCs?
RAF AWACS force?
Merlin ASW squadrons?
In a ship's Operations Room acting as Fighter Controllers?

Can they stay SQEP with the air defence type skills as well as aviation ones?

How much of an advance will Crowsnest be over the ASaCS Sea King?

Have you got a source for that?

Training on Crowsnest has already started.
Its almost as if the RN thought about the OSD of Sea King.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately one man's capability gap is another man's useful reprofile.
If it were a saving we'd be hearing lots of shouting. I'm not tied into this aspect of CEPP but its not been raised yet, so suspect its not a saving, more likely a delay to service entry, or equally just a pipeline issue as aircrew/maintainers transition airframes.

Last edited:
Training on Crowsnest has already started...
That's good to hear. I assume they're training on synthetics?

Regards,
MM

SQEP!

That's a nice map behind VAdm Key.... subliminal messaging anyone? ;-)

Looks like they might bomb the Aussies. What's that big circle in the middle of OZ? Not that anyone is even going to notice it.

Is it me or does Australia look like it's a few miles out?

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads