CVF and Carrier Strike thread

On a carrier related note, a historian and author from Argentina has written a book about the Argentine carrier during the Falklands War and ASW operations.

ASW and 1982 South Atlantic War

I am sure that at one point one of our SSNs was in visual contact with the Veinticinco de Mayo but think this was before things started on 1 May.

I know it is from Save the Royal Navy and <100% credible, however this article about survivability:

HMS Queen Elizabeth – built to survive

It seems to have become popular in some places to decry carriers and particularly our ones as being ultra vulnerable, or to claim that little effort has been put into making them able to cope with damage, or that new threats such as asymmetric attack have been ignored.

Last edited:
I know it is from Save the Royal Navy and <100% credible, however this article about survivorability:

HMS Queen Elizabeth – built to survive

It seems to have become popular in some places to decry carriers and particularly our ones as being ultra vulnerable, or to claim that little effort has been put into making them able to cope with damage, or that new threats such as asymmetric attack have been ignored.
Just hope that one of these doesn't go off.

Deploying nuke warheads in combat will rather escalate things.

Deploying nuke warheads in combat will rather escalate things.
Well the roooskies, Syrians, preciously sadam, possibly the Chinese have used chemical weapons since WWII, yet no reprisal apart from conventional weapons.

If we had smaller more numerous carriers with more affordable aircraft we could spread our assets about negating the risk of our super carrier being taken out by one of these.

Perhaps something around the 22,000 ton mark flying a dozen or so STOVL capable aircraft.

Yes. I'm kidding.

If we had smaller more numerous carriers with more affordable aircraft we could spread our assets about negating the risk of our super carrier being taken out by one of these.

Perhaps something around the 22,000 ton mark flying a dozen or so STOVL capable aircraft.

Yes. I'm kidding.
@Yokel got all moist then.

More like a tut and a facepalm. I remember having a similar discussion with a mate that if the new carriers were 50% smaller it would reduce their capability by more than 50% whilst reducing the cost by a lot less than 50%.

Generally on their own people though, not on another nation with the ability to react in kind..
Nuclear weapons would be different because of the global effects - fall out and so on.

That was *close*. I think the ship may have been one of these: Orfey-class destroyer - Wikipedia

(One is listed as being nuked in 1953, video says 1955, but the target ship definitely has the two funnels sticking out of a bandstand amidships and the classic WW1 destroyer bridge well forward. I've also seen another reference putting the test in 1955.)

She is 98m long and the spout is about that across so I reckon the camera is ~330m/1000ft from ground zero and presumably operated remotely.

You hope.

HMS QE gearing up for WESTLANT18.

Can't be long now before they embark some F35Bs. Is there a planned date for the first F35B to be embarked?

HMS QE gearing up for WESTLANT18.

Can't be long now before they embark some F35Bs. Is there a planned date for the first F35B to be embarked?

I wonder why they embarked alongside.

The F-35Bs will embark when she is off the US East Coast, as they will be instrumented ones flying from (I think) NAS Pax River. However, there will be more to the deployment than that - in addition to the jets she will be carrying Merlin HM2 from 820 NAS for ASW, C4ISTAR, SAR and other roles (question for @Magic_Mushroom: is Crowsnest operational yet?), Jungly Merlin HC3 for Jungly stuff, and a company of Marines from 42 Cdo.

The four month deployment will involve all sorts of things from defence diplomacy to various exercises with NATO and other partners. She is already earning her keep as she contributes to our influence.

...question for @Magic_Mushroom: is Crowsnest operational yet?...
I don’t think the Merlin ASaC5 enters service until late next year. However, I’ve not heard anything about flight trials which makes me think it’ll be more like 2020.

I assume that the retirement of the Sea King ASaC7s will be timed concurrently.

Regards,
MM

I don’t think the Merlin ASaC5 enters service until late next year. However, I’ve not heard anything about flight trials which makes me think it’ll be more like 2020.

I assume that the retirement of the Sea King ASaC7s will be timed concurrently.

Regards,
MM
I thought the last Sea Kings were being retired this year, and the Crowsnest kit was just going to be fitted to an aircraft as required, at least that is what they would have us believe.

Related question - Many years ago I looked at the Defence Procurement Agency (pre DES days) part of the MOD website and saw that the CVF and FSTA projects were considered to be linked. Why did nobody think to link the carrier/task group operations and sustaining the AWACS capability?

I thought the last Sea Kings were being retired this year, and the Crowsnest kit was just going to be fitted to an aircraft as required, at least that is what they would have us believe...
Some Sea Kings may well be off this year but, given as news of Crowsnest installation and op trials has been remarkably absent, I wonder if there's a slip to the original 2019 date. Meanwhile, while the Crowsnest mission system is meant to be RO-RO, I'd bet my finest white socks that the kit will normally only be swapped around depth servicing.

...Why did nobody think to link the carrier/task group operations and sustaining the AWACS capability?
The RN have been reluctant for other programmes and requirements to be associated publicly with the QEs lest it be suggested that the carriers were more expensive than stated; that even extended to P-8! In fairness however, Project EAGLE (the original E-3D mid-life upgrade) was primarily salami-sliced and then cut entirely at the altar of HERRICK rather than due to any RN obfuscation.

Regards,
MM

Some Sea Kings may well be off this year but, given as news of Crowsnest installation and op trials has been remarkably absent, I wonder if there's a slip to the original 2019 date. Meanwhile, while the Crowsnest mission system is meant to be RO-RO, I'd bet my finest white socks that the kit will normally only be swapped around depth servicing.
I know - everything points to that. More importantly the skill set for the crew (and even the make up of the crew - does the Crowsnest cab carry an extra Observer and leave the ASW Aircrewman behind?) will be different to that for an ASW/surface search/etc sortie.

I know - everything points to that. More importantly the skill set for the crew (and even the make up of the crew - does the Crowsnest cab carry an extra Observer and leave the ASW Aircrewman behind?) will be different to that for an ASW/surface search/etc sortie.
SKASaC flies with 1 x pilot and 2 x Obs and I would expect the same for MASaC. This compares for 2 x pilot, 1 x Obs and 1 x Acmn for Awfully Slow Warfare Merlin HM.

Skill sets for ASaC and ASW will differ with specific currencies (I assume) for Observers employed in the control role.

Edited to add: I have a vague recollection of some talk regarding a ‘missionised’ MASaC cockpit which would allow a co-pilot or third Obs to augment mission tasks much as is done on the E-2D. However, that doesn’t really sit well with the RO-RO concept so I suspect it’s been quietly dropped.

Regards,
MM

Last edited: