CVF and Carrier Strike thread

The USN and USMC Prowler fleets absorbed USAF F-111 pilots / navigators when the EF-111 fleet folded.

Not exactly. We were forced to absorb their mission, but we did not absorb their pilots and navigators. We requested augmentation to standup the four additional squadrons that the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD). The Air Force established 390th Electronic Combat Squadron at NAS Whidbey Island to provide administrative and logistical support for assigned Air Force personnel and to support the expeditionary Electronic Attack squadron construct. That unit still exists today but the pilots and navs remain in their service and return to the USAF after their tour.

#2: I have heard similar things from people with CVS experience in the Sea Harrier/Sea King days (ie lots of FAA personnel aboard) and never quite got it. Did the ships' companies of Hermes and Invincible feel the same way in the Falklands? Is there the same divide aboard a US carrier?

There is no divide on a US carrier because we normally only have USN aviators on board for routine operations. When we have embarked other services like for relief operations in Haiti, I haven’t heard of any major problems other that the normal ‘this is how we do it out here’ type of thing conflict, normally reserved for eating, berthing, drills, and take-off/landing procedures. Since the US Army used to deck qualify their helicopter pilots, it wasn’t a big deal.

Not a matelot and not obsessed with big ships either, although I happen to think that the Navy has had a raw deal until recently. I don't find anything that he posts particularly incisive, rather a rehashing of old arguments. And your credentials are?
32 years in the Royal Navy, including Sea Command, and a continuing association with people of all ranks and services in the front line and in the ‘back office’.

You?

32 years in the Royal Navy, including Sea Command, and a continuing association with people of all ranks and services in the front line and in the ‘back office’.

You?
Shush you, Don't you know Gove said the public are tired of "experts!"

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Can I gently remind people I'm the Mod for this area and only I gets to berate people and abuse such power as telling certain posters to not do something.

Don't like the way I moderate????

Can I gently remind people I'm the Mod for this area and only I gets to berate people and abuse such power as telling certain posters to not do something.

Don't like the way I moderate????
There’s me thinking you were a super mod, all mighty power wielding poodle.

Not a matelot and not obsessed with big ships either, although I happen to think that the Navy has had a raw deal until recently. I don't find anything that he posts particularly incisive, rather a rehashing of old arguments. And your credentials are?
I like Yokel's contributions. I'm intrigued why there's quiet propulsion on the RRS now.

History_Man you and me meet in the Coal Hole or Hole in the Wall and discuss why the bars are so well hidden in Minsk and everywhere else in Belarus, you are the expert there.

I like Yokel's contributions. I'm intrigued why there's quiet propulsion on the RRS now.

History_Man you and me meet in the Coal Hole or Hole in the Wall and discuss why the bars are so well hidden in Minsk and everywhere else in Belarus, you are the expert there.
I'm not; challenge accepted, I go up to town rarely but when I do, I usually find an excuse to do something vaguely cultural. I haven't been to Minsk for a number of years - Mrs H_M goes back each year to visit her folks and they have been over here a couple of times but July and August is not a good time of year for me to take much leave.

You?
24 years in and still stagging on - my next excursion looks like Ex TRIDENT JUNCTURE. Best SO1 Maritime that I worked with was a Royal Danish Navy Cdr, the second best was a WAFU Cdr. RN Staffwork = 'we don't do dat shit!', which goes a long way to explaining the events of 1966, 1981 and 2010.

Last edited:
I like Yokel's contributions. I'm intrigued why there's quiet propulsion on the RRS now..
Simples. Loud noises hurt da little fishies swim bladders. Very sensitive to a number of frequencies and one of the purposes of the ship is to study the marine life in Antartica.

I was at FOST at 31, and I ain't dead yet.

FTRS because presumably they want the pilot to actually stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a thread in the Royal Navy forum. Yokel has served with the Royal Navy in a variety of roles and comments on Royal Navy matters with enthusiasm and a certain degree of background knowledge instead of simply expressing opinionated ignorance.

You?
Do you not think he likes to bang the drum a bit too loud?

(Pro Royal Navy by the way at the expense of cuts to the Army).