CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Wiki int gives COD a range of 1300nm so a wide variety of places.
I assume by that you mean the C-2. If so, that’s a cat/trap type so won’t be supporting the QEs. C-2s will be replaced in coming years by the CMV-22 variant of the Osprey.

In a perfect world, a few of those for the RN would be useful but in reality we can’t afford it. It’s therefore likely the QEs will use a combination of on-board stores, RAS, port visits and rotary assets for result.

Regards,
MM

I dont myself
I can perhaps see it happening elsewhere - but space is finite on a ship, To me it makes far more sense to borrow an aircraft with another job as required - rather than taking up the slot with a single use aircraft - whose job could be fulfilled by pretty much everything else in a secondary role.
The US is also looking at optionally manned aircraft (helos and fixed wing) to provide increased flexibility. In A2's scenario you would have a pilot for complex missions and fly autonomously for routine/very high risk jobs.

I assume by that you mean the C-2. If so, that’s a cat/trap type so won’t be supporting the QEs. C-2s will be replaced in coming years by the CMV-22 variant of the Osprey.

In a perfect world, a few of those for the RN would be useful but in reality we can’t afford it. It’s therefore likely the QEs will use a combination of on-board stores, RAS, port visits and rotary assets for result.

Regards,
MM

A fully loaded CMV-22 goes to 1100nmi vs 800nmi for a C-2

A fully loaded CMV-22 goes to 1100nmi vs 800nmi for a C-2
I know. However, I suspect that @Andy71 pulled the figures off the C-2 wiki page. Either way, the RN aren’t going to have either unless it wants to cut capabilities elsewhere

Regards,
MM

Regards,
MM
Is Gavin Williamson not actually doing a fine job of talking up the issues?

Is Gavin Williamson not actually doing a fine job of talking up the issues?
In what way? Has he been speaking about COD?

Regards,
MM

Same place as other spares do: a friendly nation.

Regards,
MM
If its the same place as other spares its going to be a RAS fro an RFA, like all the ammo, food, clothing and fuel. COD is great for pax and mail but its not a reliable source of replenishment for a carrier. There has to be a much better justification for taking up aircraft spots

I feel I must take the blame for bringing up the COD issue - however it was an attempt to show that whilst some pants wetters see this as a go/no go type of issue, the reality is different. The issue of engine (and other) resupply has been thought about in detail. Perhaps it does illustrate that many are unaware of what are routine things at sea such as RASing.

They could just RAS an engine from the Fleet Soljd Stores ship, which is designed to carry that sort of stuff.
Cheers i Hadn't thought of that...

If its the same place as other spares its going to be a RAS fro an RFA, like all the ammo, food, clothing and fuel. COD is great for pax and mail but its not a reliable source of replenishment for a carrier. There has to be a much better justification for taking up aircraft spots
I couldn’t agree more.

A dedicated COD asset is desirable at best for the QEs in my view. We not only have Merlin but the potential to embark Chinooks (with a 24 000lb payload).

...How do the French manage COD with CdG ?
Rotary Wing and the occasional visit from a USN C-2.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
So enough payload for 2 F35 engines (I know you cannot actually fit two in the loadspace). How do the French manage COD with CdG ?
They manage without, as we used to (we even fought a war 8000 miles from home against a determined enemy including air and naval forces), and the US amphibious assault ships that embark AV-8B/F-35B have no fixed wing COD.

I couldn’t agree more.

A dedicated COD asset is desirable at best for the QEs in my view. We not only have Merlin but the potential to embark Chinooks (with a 24 000lb payload).

Regards,
MM
Engines did suggest embarking Chinooks. I am sure that someone on this thread stated that Jungly Merlin HC4 might be a regular feature about the QEC as well, leaving the Merlin HM2 to ASW, ISTAR, and in future ASACS roles.

The discussion demonstrates much of the "QEC is no good" lines taken by the ignorant. Just because we are doing things differently to the Americans, or to how it was done in the sixties/seventies it is no good in their eyes.

Regards,
MM
And of course, allied help may also be available.

I think there's also talk of re-introducing AAR capability to the Jungly fleet, although I'm not sure what the planned tanking solution is.

So enough payload for 2 F35 engines (I know you cannot actually fit two in the loadspace). How do the French manage COD with CdG ?

French don’t really do blue water ops.

Engines is an issue for the Americans as only two of their carriers, GW and Ford have HRAS rigs

And of course, allied help may also be available.

I think there's also talk of re-introducing AAR capability to the Jungly fleet, although I'm not sure what the planned tanking solution is.
I couldn't see any sign of the probes at the recent unveiling.