Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CVF and Carrier Strike thread

My only point about the S-3 is that it is so fugly not even it's mother could love it.

UGLY you say? How about our effort. Brought to you by those good folks who gave you the Swordfish and Barracuda. A plane who's name evokes childhood giggles in septics I give you the Fairy Gannet
gannet.jpg
Compact and bijou. Good at what it was made for as well.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Life as a Gannet pilot, a novel but by someone who was one:

Amazon product

That is why I thought that having your own pocket ASW that could sweep further ahead of the battle group and further down the flanks was better than relying on ASW helos alone. So I thought that Viking was a nice to have...

Organic fixed wing ASW is most definitely very useful to have although USN carriers have always relied heavily on land based support (P-3C, EP-3, C2ISR and AAR). There was a USN Common Support Aircraft (CSA) Programme to develop a replacement for the E-2, C-2 and S-3/ES-3. Unfortunately, ASW fell out of fashion in the 90s, the best replacement for a C-2 is another C-2 and it was cheaper to upgrade the E-2 so CSA never gained traction.

I can just imagine the looks on the aircrew when they get allocated their stream.

Hornet / Tomcat for you, you and you.

Corsairs for you

Intruders for you

And Viking for you

I don't know if they still do it but the USN used to occasionally cream off the best aircrew from training and divert them to less glamorous types such as the S-3, E-2 and C-2. This was to avoid those types ending up with a lower quality of guys which is an interesting concept!

Radar doesn't work by reflection or by bouncing off things.

Err...sorry?!!!!!

UGLY you say? How about our effort. Brought to you by those good folks who gave you the Swordfish and Barracuda. A plane who's name evokes childhood giggles in septics I give you the Fairy GannetView attachment 229640 Compact and bijou. Good at what it was made for as well.

The Gannet was a looker in comparison to the Short Seamew...

Regards,
MM

So how does it work? I'm sure others would want to know too...

Google is you friend - You tell us you have a broad education - utilise it to research a subject.

A basic familiarity will at least eliminate some of the more bone questions you ask, resulting in better responses to the ones that do make it through the filter.

Google is you friend - You tell us you have a broad education - utilise it to research a subject.

A basic familiarity will at least eliminate some of the more bone questions you ask, resulting in better responses to the ones that do make it through the filter.

Lindy,

While happy to accept the need to avoid generalisations regarding radar detection, how do you think it works if it 'doesn't work by reflection or bouncing off things'?

Regards,
MM

Lindy,

While happy to accept the need to avoid generalisations regarding radar detection, how do you think it works if it 'doesn't work by reflection or bouncing off things'?

Regards,
MM

I perhaps could have been clearer with a simply by inserted in there ,

Re-radiation of the signal from the target rather than a simple tennis ball bouncing off the wall return.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
Lindy,

Regards,
MM

He's obviously confusing passive (receiving only to see who is pinging you) and active.

A good few years ago at Farnborough, we had an Air Defence display set back from the side of the runway. 2 Rapier FSB, 2 Rapier FSC, and 2 (new) Stormer HVM. The yanks did a low speed flypast in a F117. Later we got talking to the pilot, a yank Lt Col.

"Yep, picked up all 4 of your launchers as I went past"
"4? Have a look"
"What the hell are those on the end?"

HVM had passive radar, unlike Rapier, recieve only (via ADAD).

He was a bit surprised, and not a little bit scared, as HVM goes at Mach 3.5, we'd have had him out the sky before he knew it was coming.

I perhaps could have been clearer with a simply by inserted in there ,

Re-radiation of the signal from the target rather than a simple tennis ball bouncing off the wall return.

Equally, 're-radiation' implies the target has elected to re-transmit a signal which would be jolly cooperative of him...unless he was doing so from an EW pod for nefarious, underhand reasons.

Either way, if there was a 'waffle' tag, you'd be close to earning one from me! ;)

Regards,
MM

He's obviously confusing passive (receiving only to see who is pinging you) and active.

A good few years ago at Farnborough, we had an Air Defence display set back from the side of the runway. 2 Rapier FSB, 2 Rapier FSC, and 2 (new) Stormer HVM. The yanks did a low speed flypast in a F117. Later we got talking to the pilot, a yank Lt Col.

"Yep, picked up all 4 of your launchers as I went past"
"4? Have a look"
"What the hell are those on the end?"

HVM had passive radar, unlike Rapier, recieve only (via ADAD).

He was a bit surprised, and not a little bit scared, as HVM goes at Mach 3.5, we'd have had him out the sky before he knew it was coming.

It was a B-2 and the numerous urban myths around this entirely miss the reality of LO operational profiles.

I really struggle to see why a USAF B-2 (or for that matter F-117) pilot would be concerned in the slightest about either HVM or FSC given that he would be flying tens of thousands of feet beyond the reach of those systems.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
D

Deleted 3147

No, they make you funny tasting tea.
I've never known a PWO identify a kettle let alone actually operate one. Damn, scratch that, one made me a cracking Sunday dinner and drinks afterwards. It was foreign - doesn't count!

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
Maybe on Star Trek. I best tell all my Electronic Systems Degree lecturers they've lied to me.

Also, without getting into the truly geeky stuff, if radar doesn't work by bouncing off things and needs a reply from another system, please explain how a radar altimeter works in the middle of nowhere? Because it does.

Head wobble required.

Equally, 're-radiation' implies the target has elected to re-transmit a signal which would be jolly cooperative of him...unless he was doing so from an EW pod for nefarious, underhand reasons.

Either way, if there was a 'waffle' tag, you'd be close to earning one from me! ;)

Regards,
MM

Ok reradiating from the target aircrafts skin,

I only worked with / on commercial Aviation Radar Systems, and quite frankly it all got a bit metaphysical and over my head - I never did understand waveguide theory.

Re radiating with an EW Pod never even entered my mind.

D

Deleted 3147

I don't know if they still do it but the USN used to occasionally cream off the best aircrew from training and divert them to less glamorous types such as the S-3, E-2 and C-2. This was to avoid those types ending up with a lower quality of guys which is an interesting concept!

A USN F18 pilot of my acquaintance says this still occurs to some degree, usually with a future carrot attached.

Also, without getting into the truly geeky stuff, if radar doesn't work by bouncing off things and needs a reply from another system, please explain how a radar altimeter works in the middle of nowhere? Because it does.

Head wobble required.

Head wobble not required because nobody claimed a 2nd system was required -

Latest Threads