Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CVF and Carrier Strike thread

Also the ASW capabilities of USN frigates/destroyers has improved a lot since the Viking entered service in the 70s.

They have?

I was thinking of things such as Towed Array sonar, digital signal processing, better shipborne helicopters, and presumably ships have got quieter.

The best place for a surface ship is about 100nm away from a SSN or SSK - that's why P-8s are the way forward. After that, I'd suggest a gas turbine powered behemoth probably isn't a ship I'd like to send into combat against a quiet submarine.

Yokel

LE
I remember speaking to a USN Viking crew at Yeovilton in 1996 (where did the years go?) and the pilot/NFO I was talking to mentioned the AAR role as particularly important since the demise of the KA-6. To be honest I was hoping to see an Intruder...

The best place for a surface ship is about 100nm away from a SSN or SSK - that's why P-8s are the way forward. After that, I'd suggest a gas turbine powered behemoth probably isn't a ship I'd like to send into combat against a quiet submarine.

I know - hence TA sonar is detect them at range, and multiple helicopters to prosecute.

I know - hence TA sonar is detect them at range, and multiple helicopters to prosecute.

Hmm, I think not I'm afraid.

That is why I thought that having your own pocket ASW that could sweep further ahead of the battle group and further down the flanks was better than relying on ASW helos alone. So I thought that Viking was a nice to have.

Although my naval warfare expertise extends to a few games of battleships in the 80s, a few Harpoon games in the 90s and a few games of battleshots planned for the next few months.

That is why I thought that having your own pocket ASW that could sweep further ahead of the battle group and further down the flanks was better than relying on ASW helos alone. So I thought that Viking was a nice to have.

Although my naval warfare expertise extends to a few games of battleships in the 80s, a few Harpoon games in the 90s and a few games of battleshots planned for the next few months.

Oh, a Viking was a great idea. It was just butt-ugly.

I can just imagine the looks on the aircrew when they get allocated their stream.

Hornet / Tomcat for you, you and you.

Corsairs for you

Intruders for you

And Viking for you

Better than being an E-2 pilot...

Another silly question from me. Is there a way for a chased SSN/K to know it's being followed/hunted by a plane or helo? Especially if no sonobuoys have been dropped in the water?

I'm thinking of some super-duper underwater-capable radar?

Another silly question from me. Is there a way for a chased SSN/K to know it's being followed/hunted by a plane or helo? Especially if no sonobuoys have been dropped in the water?

No, yes, maybe. You'll not get a sensible answer to that one beyond joining up as a submariner.

Or P3.

Fast forward to your future job after the service.
Must be like going from first date straight to married with kids without the fun bits in between.

And you don't even get the 'I fly off ships with my wings of gold, what do you do with your wings of lead?'

E-2s fly off ships...

E-2s fly off ships...

Sorry I was inferring the Orions.

Having travelled to Oceana to see the F14 s before they left service, the wife and I had some sympathy for an E2 pilot who seemed to be doing lots of touch and goes on the runway.

The bloke who did the tour said that USN runways have lines painted to simulate the wires so so all their landings simulate carrier landings.

Since my experience of piloting military hardware extends to a land rover and half and half minibus van I am unable to comment. .....

Yokel

LE

Re-read message - context and content understood. Sorry, was confused by various things told to me by RN ASW wallahs.

Does radar normally work underwater? Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmm, I think not I'm afraid.

I've seen your input to the Sonar 2087 puff piece, ATG... ;)

But too many years working on Sting Ray did convince me that being where the submarines aren't, is a good choice if available.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

Sort of, maybe, but by no means not definitely. Depends on the submarine and its kit, the aircraft, and how they're hunting it.

In fact, sometimes the game is to let the submarine know there's somebody up there hunting it and that even raising a mast risks detection. Other times you'd rather the first warning they got of unfriendly company is a splash, a few seconds of gurgling noises, a sharp 'crack' and then a motor and rotors spinning up followed by sonar transmissions with a big up-Doppler, increasing volume and increasing pulse repetition rate...

It's called 'sonar'.

Have I just been wah'd?

Latest Threads