CV

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by SuperWhiteArmy, Jun 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know of a good CV consultancy. A friend of mine who is a civvy recruiter says my CTW CV is pants, dont mind paying good money for a professional presentation.

Cheers

2. www.cvd.co.uk are part of The CV Centre. I did mine there and it was not bad. A bit slow as they insist on sending the drafts back by post for correction but at least they gave me loads of opportunities to correct it. Of course bear in mind that they probably don't understand 'military speak' so some quals are sometimes transcribed differently but overall, for the money they were not bad and I have not found any others. Most CVs seem to be the same now so at least theirs is a little different.

3. Try to put your CV in this order:

[align=center]Name
    Postal Address
    Home & Mobile Number
    E-Mail[/align]

[align=center]Profile[/align]

Write this in the third person i.e. An Intelligent and Motivated Individual who works equally well as part of a team or as an individual.

[align=center]Education and Qualifications[/align]

June 2006 – August 2005 MSc blah blah University of Blah

[align=center]Key Skills[/align]· Personal Skills
    · Tech Skills
    · Organizational skills
    · Team Skills

[align=center]Employment History[/align]

June 2006 – August 2005 HM Forces, UK and Overseas

Employed as Supervisor to 12 tradesman, time management etc etc

Responsibilities
    · Running a team of blah
    · Cost Manangement

.(For this section if you break down into postings you can make it look more like a civvi CV)

[align=center]Professional Affiliations[/align]

i.e Institute of blah blah Number 123456

[align=center]Personal Details[/align]
    Date of Birth:
    Driving Licences
    Marital Staus

[align=center]Interests[/align]

Always good to say (current affairs, fitness and external activities like skiing / scuba diving) good chance someone who is interviewing you will be into one of these, gives a good talking point at interview

I personally wouldnt spend the money on any of these CV writing companies, its best to have a good layout with relevant information for the job you are applying for (always make the cv job specific) If you want any help with military to civvi speak then just pm me.

4. With hindsight,I actually agree with wibble wobble, as his info is fairly near to what I paid for. However, I would make a couple of observation, I have a good friend who is a professional recruitment consultant, he suggests not mentioning any TA or reserve service (firms now quivering about mobilisation), leaving out date of birth (if over 45). Also, in Interests, firms dont necessarily like Interests that are extreme sports, or high-risk sports. Involvement in local interest / local issues is good.

Lastly, DITS, CBRN, EW, SSgts course, odd-titled or abbreviated courses etc mean nothing to most recruiters as many CVs are sifted by secretaries. Courses need to be in civvy english

All in all Wibble_Wobble, a good CV and I just might re-write mine now

5. keep it short and sweet, tell them exactly what you can do and back that up with relevant qualifications and a snippet of related experience, about 1-2 pages.

E.g.

Name/address/phone and email/martial status/availability to work/Driving license (basic/short)

Profile:
    Movitvated, hit ground running, self starter, team player, blah blah (short)

Capabilities:
    - PSD/CP Operator
    - PSD Driver
    - etc
    - etc
    - etc

Experience:
    - Have worked with whatever diplomatic handleing group on.... whatever contract
    - Tour of Iraq '03
    - etc
    - etc

Qualifications: (Brief/relevant/industry and military)
    Ex-Infantry
    Heavy Weapons
    PTI
    PSD Driving and Firearms course .... from/when
    CP course from/when ..... whoever
    Driving speciality run by ......

Brief carreer history:
    10 year ex inf
    1 year Control risks

If he wants an in-depth history or lists of academics and sporting interests then annex it. But this way you have a page of exactly what he wants to know: - what u can do - what proven experience you have - what actual industry and military quals you have and roughly what you've been doing last x amount of years.

When you have a pile of 100 CV's this is refreshingly simple and to the point

This method has worked for me, so could be something to try.

6. A CV is what will make or break you intial contact with an employer. It needs to stand out. I generally agree with Wibble_Wobble with a few twists that i like to add.

A CV should be persoanlised for every application (where possible), and the order of items rejigged as necessary. also put things in revese chronological order!

And my best tip, print it on coloured paper!! This really works, makes it stand out!

A final bit of advice - Your CV is all your potential employer will know of you, thus with the content of your cv, you can anticipate what questions your going to be asked, therefore making sure your interview is slightly more towards your favour, so when your putting it together, keep this in mind.

I'm more than happy to send you my version of a CV, if you want, PM me!

OS

7. Some key skills that seem to appear on alot of job adverts are:

* 3 years experience in (whatever your chosen field is)
    * Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
    * Ability to travel to global clients.
    * Exceptional communication and ownership skills, ability to build and maintain long distance relationships.
    * Commercial Awareness
    * Proven track record of working with tight deadlines.
    * Ability to deliver projects to agreed quality, timescale and budget.
    * Excellent team player.

Most forces / ex-forces have these skills and they are relatively easy to prove to an employer because its most based around working and communicating with people effectively.

Stick to a few rules and you should have a good CV.

* Keep it to two pages
    * Use Standard fonts (arial, bold, size 14 for headings and size 12 for text)
    * Dont cram the page full of information, use bullet points and brief explainations. A CV is only meant to get you to interview
    * As oneshot said, every cv should be tweeked for every application, tailor your CV to the job spec
    * bobos has a good point about the TA/reserve service, employers have to keep jobs open for guys going on ops so they have to pay through the nose to get in contractors if you have to go away.
    * As alot of recruitment companies use computers to search for key phrases on CVs and probably dont have anyone using the mark 1 eyeball, make sure you look at the jobspec and use the exact phrases that they use, this will ensure your CV will get noticed

Good Luck, if you want me to have a look at your cv just pm me

8. The above is very similar to my CV which is the one I took to CTW some years ago and they fine tuned for/with me. Tailor to suit everything you apply for and it has worked for me every time so far in that I have always got to interview.

I am confused if the CTW attended by SWA (original poster in this thread) did not end up also producing something similar to the above. Biggest mistakes are squaddie language, abbreviations etc as previously highlighted by other contributors to the thread.

Was it really that bad? If so the information should be passed back via your Coutts consultant so that future attendees at the CTW concerned get something worthwhile.

9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Wibble-wobble's template is pretty good but every application should be tailored. Some basics - you've got the 1st and 2nd sentence and about 15 seconds to grab a recruiter's eye. He's probably got 50 plus applications and won't read them all. There'll be a quick filter process followed by a careful read of 10 at most. Best advice is - read the recruiting requirement and then turn it round at them. If the key requirement is being blond start with "A blond bloke..."

It also seriously depends on size of company you're applying to. In a 20 man place the recruitment will being handled by your future boss directly. If they've got 40,000 employees its going to be some HR trainee who doesn't understand half the language in the job spec so she (typically) will look for those key phrases

10. There is also no need to mention your marital status - all to do with Human Rights legislation.

Wibble_Wobble's presentation advice is good - it's a pretty standard format these days, though as others have mentioned, what you'll more likely need is a steer on converting your Army skills and qualifications into civvy-speak.

As for Oneshot's advice of coloured paper for snail-mail delivery, make it a subtle shade - cream, very light blue or grey - though I've always been more taken with CVs submitted on paper that feels good-quality rather than merely being coloured (I've received CVs printed onto flourescent paper before - guess where they were filed... :roll: ) though in my industry the submission of a CV via email and through agencies is the norm.

Good luck!

11. The big recruiters always say good quality white paper. Coloured paper is a no-no unless is very subtle.

One thing I'd add to WibbleWobble's template is that I don't feel there's any need to put your address, postcode and phone number at the top of the page. Heard advice recently to stick it on the page footer in slightly smaller font, which sounds reasonable. That way you're straight into your profile "Proactive, one-legged, obese, lesbian, single-parent, angry dwarf...etc etc".

12. I totally agree DB... except...

If applying to a SME, bear in mind that we will want to see that you are likely to fit into the team... so, if I have a dozen CVs for one position I might need to filter them and, things like Marital Status and age helps to paint a picture.. if I see a good fit the CV will make the cut... once I have 3 or 4 I don't need to look at any that do not include a good pen-picture.

Also, no-one sues under HRA for failing to get an interview with a SME... perhaps an international company, LA or central government but not a SME... so, we just don't care about political correctness, just getting the right people. For example; the last time I recruited, I particularly wanted a female graduate, so, every agency CV that didn't specify gender was thrown into File 13 together with all personal CV's with male and unisex names. Sorry, but busy people need to take short cuts.

My advice would be to include personal details unless you believe they are likely to be construed as negative by the particular recipient.

13. What about CV submitted by email, should you be pushing certain areas of your CV

Basically office birds read your cv,

should intro letters cover your selling points, any pointers

14. I run two companies and receive quite a few CVs (and, not being a multi-national corporation, I read them all) so, for what it's worth, here are my tips:

Layout and formatting: I can't be bothered with a messy CV. Set it out in an easy to read format... think of us poor sods having to wade through them all. Bullets are always good and make it easy on the eye.

Coloured/quality paper: If it's subtle, it would definitely stand out for me. Quality of paper gives the impression that you're bothered.

Content of CV vs covering letter: Tailor your CV to the vacancy, by all means, but use the covering letter to explain why you think you're suitable rather than your CV. A good covering letter impresses me.

Personal details: Employers aren't allowed to request details on marital status, dates of birth etc unless the vacancy requires those details for a particular reason. Having said that, I always like it when someone puts on their date of birth because otherwise I'm working out their age from their schooling etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for not being ageist but if I have a vacancy for an Office Junior, I'd prefer not to put a more mature person into that role simply because they can use their life experience in a more valuable way.

Research the market to which you're applying: Think about the company you're applying to and do a little research. Include this in your covering letter. It's impressive.

Abbreviations: Previous posters are quite right - don't expect your reader to understand abbreviations; briefly explain what they mean.

Recruitment companies/consultants: I can tell when a CV has come from one of these! They use the same phrases and expressions. As an employer, I'd want to see your own hand in your CV, not an experts. Sorry, but I think these companies are a waste of money and there's a distinct backlash against these glossy phrases amongst other employers I know.

Interests: The only object of this section for me is as a talking point during the interview. This gives me a chance to listen to you talking about what you like. To be honest, if I know the interview is a waste of time, I tend to talk about the interests part more than if I think the candidate is worth a second look.

Interview: A particular bug-bear of mine is when I ask the interviewee what they consider to be their positive and negative attributes - I've lost count of how many say their only negative is that they can't delegate and prefer to do everything themselves to get it right. Bollox! Not being able to delegate means you'll get snowed under... plain and simple. It's not clever to respond to the negative attribute question with something that you hope comes across as a positive. It doesn't. I've heard this so many times now that I have to forcibly keep my face straight. Honesty is what the interviewer is looking for.

Be original: No matter what the vacancy is, originality does it for me.

Hope this helps.