Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I Only have 5 years left in the Army and there’s no way I’m getting sucked into Veng.
    I’m now looking at how and what Civvie street needs from an ex Soldier. A well written CV is a must but apart from attending a CTW (Which is to early at the moment) where would be the place to obtain info that converts Mil – Civ speak?? I am a SSgt and I know that means “A line Manager” but what about the rest of the mumbo jumbo?? Can anyone out there PLEASE HELP ME??

2. Whatever "buzz words" you throw into your CV now will be out-moded in 5 years time. Best thing you can do is beg, steal and borrow as many CVs as possible and cut/paste all the best bits.

One of my CVs states that I am a Mobile Logistics Control Centre Operative. Thats a lorry driver to the un-initiated! A CV is a licence to baffle people with science. Enjoy!

P-T

3. If you have done your 22, you will leave with a pension, so can get a nice little job as a security guard. Your own little security lodge, don't have to leave now to lift up barriers all done remotely.

Meridian was offering CV help - I am sure he would be pleased to help you for a small contribution to the latest cause.

4. Because you haven't had a lot of help here; you haven't given us a lot of information to go on though, here's a tip I don't give everyone.

Think about what you want to do in civvy life, to translate what you do now into civvy speak try this website: Skills for Business National Occupational Standards Here are all the performance and knowledge statements required of virtually every occupation, written and maintained by the relevant Sector Skills Council or Standards Setting Body so the language is all sector specific and will be understood by th eperson reading your CV (don't use jargon). Find the relevant occupation and ensure that your CV - in one way or another by experience or explanation - matches/ covers all the performance statements required for that occupation. Meridian has a good thread running about how you actually do that in a CV format. Good luck, life is good out here if you arrive well prepared.

5. Well whats your job? Thats always a good place to start when your asking for help with your CV...

6. Cow

Cow LE

Have a read of this thread http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=86850/highlight=donation.html and maybe a small donation will work wonders! I've not used it but plenty of people have and seem to be impressed. CPW don't help to much (as you'll find), have you tried picking a job and then trying to match your experience to its requirements? Companies may ask for quals but get through to the right person and they'll recognise your experience and if you taken on, probably train/qualify you themselves.

7. :D Thanks vey much for your reply, i'll be trying that link very soon. :D