CV Template

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by meridian, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Just finished this for people to use, it is a Word CV template. I have seen so many plainly awful CV's I often wonder if the person is serious about getting the job.

Hope you find it useful

Attached Files:

2. Thanks :D
  3. Good job keep it up. Very nice and simple to use CV template.I really appreciate your efforts for making this template available.Now I can beat the crowd by creating a winng CV.
  4. Cow

Cow LE

My 2 pence: Agencies will remove your personal details from your CV, it may be worth considering putting them at the end that way hitting them with your 'best bits' first. Good layout to build on though! Remember to tailor it for the position your going for.

Fancy doing a 'Covering letter' template too?!
  5. meridian

Agencies will always remove your personal details to stop potential employers going direct and saving 30% of your salary but will generally take your information and paste it into their own format.

Attached is a simple covering letter

Good luck

Attached Files:

6. Have done a lot of employing others and applying for jobs myself, recently.
    Main point is that some agencies use software to scan CVs (and applications) for key words. These words or phrases usually appear somewhere in the advert or job description so it makes sense to use them in your application/CV. If it says that the successful applicant will be a "hard working, results-driven, experienced field engineer" or somesuch boll*cks then make sure somewhere in your CV it says" hard working," "experienced in field whatever," and "results-driven". That way you stand a chance of getting through the paper sift. (Try not to make it too obvious, though).

I think the template is good and simple but you need to have two types of CV. One that says most of the things about you, your experience, ability. qualifications etc. This one can be sent out in a bit of a shotgun style to anyone/organisation who you think could employ you.

The second one is ever-changing because that's the one that you send out in reply to a specific job. That has to be tailored to the job advert. You can still use the same template but make sure the bullet points you start off with reflect the main points in the advert. You need to think about changing or rearranging content for each individual job you're going after.
    Good luck.
  7. meridian

Would agree Dubb, a CV is only ever a starting point on which to build then tailor the paperwork for each job. For example you might only do a short CV but back that up with more detailed information on seperate sheets if necessary. All depends on the job
  8. meridian

Just to give this a shameless bump, if anyone wants me to take their existing CV and transfer it into the template above I will do it for the small price of a donation to the Begging Bowl fund over in the NAAFI
  9. Target your CV to the employer. If it's an IT business, speak IT. Driving, talk driving. Don't generallise.

Keep it to a maximum of 2 sides of A4, dont waffle or lie, it will bite you in the arrse.

Don't use bog standard Asda A4 printer paper. Invest in some decent paper of a slightly different shade than white (neutral), and a different texture. It will stand out during a paper sift as Different.

Finally, reflect your personality. You could be the most qualified on the block, but if you appear have the personality of a sea slug it's game over.

Good Hunting

10. Just to let all reading this that I took up Meridian on his offer of a CV overhaul, and it was money well spent!

He did a cracking job with a turnaround of a couple of days only.

I am very pleased with it, and fingers crossed, it will do the trick.

Highly recommended.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Bumpy ... bumpy ... bump ;-)
  12. blue-sophist

And bump again ... a success story inbound shortly, I believe ;-)
  13. Blue-S,

A success story indeed. Just been offered a cracking job doing EXACTLY what I wanted to do with tremendous wages to boot.

The guy that offered me a start, in a very competeitive industry mind, said that it was the layout of my CV that caught his eye initially. Then he saw I was ex-service and that clinched it for him. He sees so many CV`s that are basicaly the same that he was delighted when something `different` came along.

It was Meridians work, I believe, that gave me the edge and meant that my CV was actualy read.

I can only recommend that anyone else who is job searching at present gives Meridian a shout and let him work his magic. For the sake a donation, my family and I are looking towards a very good future.

Thank you Meridian.
  14. blue-sophist

I'm absolutely delighted for you.
    So glad it worked out well.

Meridian has proved to be a terrifyingly useful guy to have around. Apart from the CV template, he's built the Sgt Slingsby web-site and created all those Bump-pics for The Begging Bowl. And he's even a competent member of the Spotters' Club :lol: