CV Sent, How Long.........?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by RE-DSO, Aug 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before I follow up with a phone call.

The reason being is that the company doesn't actively recruit and it's a very narrow field of work. I thought about a week, give them a call to ensure they received the CV. If they aren't interested then all well and good and it'll save me checking my inbox every hour waiting for a reply.
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Bother them every other hour. If they want you they will take you but in my experience most managers are very busy and need a nudge to make a decision. If you are the one in their memory then you will be the one who gets the job offer.
  3. Will call first thin Mon AM then.
  4. Most Managers spend Monday morning up to their eyes in it, I would try midday, rush over and before lunch. It won't hurt whatever time you call, it just shows you are keen. Good Luck
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Agreed, being annoying for a civvy job is not a bad thing. Keep knocking at the door, being aresy in civy street works well.
  6. Well called Mon PM. Spoke to the nice receptionist, got the party line that the MD had just got back from a foreign trip and hadn't gone through his mail box. And could I call again in a couple of days.
    Called again this AM, got put straight through to the MD, nice chap. He had read my CV but didn't feel that it was suited to his company profile. I had about a 10 min chat with him. So he did give me the time of day.

After the call I felt like all the things I'd planned to say didn't come up in conversation or I couldn't twist the chat to my strengths. So I failed miserably on that. So something to practice for future tel con with future employers.

It's a shame as it was a company I really liked what they were doing in the wider defence community and were actually making a difference to the boys on the ground.
  7. msr

msr LE

Every rejection is one step closer to acceptance.
  8. RE-DSO,

Did the MD indicate that he would keep you on file, or did he dismiss any chance of you working in that company? If there an opportunity to write again asking that your details are kept on file, take it.

Good luck.
  9. The converstion went along the lines of that he'd read my CV and had picked up on the Search side of it mainly but not the Explosives work I do. So he was looking at it from a different angle than I had expected. So that was a failing on my part.
    It ended that he thought that I was aiming at finding an IED and he was aiming to produce kit to deal with the IED so not fiting in with his ethos.

Perhaps a written letter to him might be an option, but don't want to look needy. No chance of popping round to deliver the letter as their website says if you want to visit call for directions.
  10. Shoot him an email. If you don't have an email address extrapolate it using their website address*. Refer to some of his comments in the phone call and reiterate how your experience fits in with what they want - it's called 'selling to a need'.

*If their website is something like his email address will be something like send separate emails to;; etc. One should hit the mark.

You can also try using WHOIS Lookup and Domain Name Search | and searching for their website name - it may well give you their address.
  11. Quick update.

Called and spke to the MD. Liked my CV but not recruiting at the moment. So left it, but ended up speaking to some one else in the industry and they said to call the son who was the hirer and firer in the company.
    Gave him a call had another long chat and then fired my CV over. A few days later he then called to say that thanks but no thanks.
    So that is the end of that.
    Thanks for the help and advice I have recieved, stands me in good stead for the next round of applications.
  12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Don't let it phase you, job hunting these days you need a hide like a rhino - just learn from each experience and crack on to the next.