Cutting hair

Being a cheapskate bastid, I decided that I'd buy a set of clippers on the cheap. Found an expensive set of Vidal Sassoon palm clippers on Ebay for under a tenner, reconditioned stock. Yaay me... :roll:

These were going to be both for when im at home as well as for on ops/ex (theyre rechargable y'see), hopefully giving a quick squaddie haircut that wouldnt need a mate to help.. you know, the types 'oh sorry mate, the guard slipped off...'

Anyways. Dont bother. As the unofficial ARRSE vidal sassoon hair clipper guineapig, I can only report back theyre a complete pile of Dogtoffee. :x :x :x Theyre easy enough to operate, slip em in yer palm and turn it on, but getting even a basic squaddie no 2 all over was nigh on impossible. Theyre completely useless unless you happen to have been a psychic hairdresser in a previous life :(

So if your missus offers to buy you some clippers for an imminent tour, etc, just do yourself a favour. stick to buying normal clippers.

Want further proof? read the reviews scattered about on here:

Amazon

Wish I bloody had... :evil:

Seconded, absolutely bollocks. I've been cutting my own hair for years now and let Mrs Tubs persuade me that these things were a good idea.

They're not....

Couldn't even do a basic all over one grade. Never again, and as I've used them, I can't take them back! 40 odd quid down the drain.

Tubs

Just asked the missus (she does this haircutting malarkey for a living), she says the best is Wahl hair clippers. Don't bother with the fancy dandy others, you are only paying for the name.

She also recommends using corded.

Alternatively:

Seconded, Wahl are the best. I've had mine for nearly 15 years now and they're still going strong!

Thirded, WAHL, clippers everytime.
Had a pair of their corded clippers for about 10 years, cost about £25 and still going strong.
Have taken to using a Bic on whats left of the folicles nowadays, but if it gets a bit shaggy the Wahl comes out and does a No 1 all over in minutes few.
As a back up for Ex etc, a Boots own brand Battery beard trimmer in the wash bag gives a good close crop, just takes a few mins longer.

Beaten to it by TT, who also has an antique Wahl it seems

Bought a Pair of second hand whal clippers from my local barber when he retired, Paid a tenner in 1989 and they are still going strong, lost the combs years ago though. So strictly No1 here, would'nt like to guess how many heads they've done as I used to charge 50p for cut as a little side line when I was in.

I've got Nicky Clarke rechargable ones I got from Argos five years ago and they're still going strong.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Myss The Intelligence Cell 6
S Royal Signals 11
C Int Corps 54